• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sally Pooley v Woolwich

Sally Pooley
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am now getting worried. I started trying to claim my charges back in July 06, Barclays kept asking for more time to look into the claim, and like an idiot i gave them the time. i have just sent my last action before court, the bank have until tomorow then i start court action.

Can anyone tell me how i contact the court and get a court date. I have looked through the forum and read all the questions but think i now cant see it for looking.

thank Sally

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I am now getting worried. I started trying to claim my charges back in July 06, Barclays kept asking for more time to look into the claim, and like an idiot i gave them the time. i have just sent my last action before court, the bank have until tomorow then i start court action.

Can anyone tell me how i contact the court and get a court date. I have looked through the forum and read all the questions but think i now cant see it for looking.

thank Sally

Hello firstly you need to start a thread in your bank forum and post your questions there.

I suggest you read the FAQS and step by step instrucrtions, this will guide you. I pressume you are asking about starting court action? You will either need to complete MCOL or use the N1. Both of these can be found in the library.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

hi, it's taken a while to sort out hodw to post a threa, but here goes.

i am now on the final part of claiming my money, and will have to applied to the courts as the woolwich have only until tomorrow. They have offered me a part payment but 1/7th of what they owe me.

i am now getting confused on how i contact the court, i have read so much that everything is now getting muddled, but i'm sure a couple of hours without kids around will help.

i just need to know i'm not the only oe going through this, and that at the end of the day it will be worth it. think i've been an idiot though, as whe the woolwich asked for more time to look into the query i let them have it. this has now been goin on for 6 months, but hopfully not another 6 months.................

thanks for listening or in this case reding

Sally

Hiya

Don't panic, you are going into the final stages!

You need to either file via the N1 form which is here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/844-n1-claims-form-pdf.html

or you can do it online via Mcol:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

If you need any help filing the forms in just give us a shout!

hope this helps

• Haha 1

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

Hi,

After reading everything i can on on starting court proceedings, i've read that if the claim is over £5000, then it will not go to small claims court but county court, is that right, and also when filling in the N1 what court do i need to put down, is it just the one local to me or Northampton.

Sally

:?

Hi,

After reading everything i can on on starting court proceedings, i've read that if the claim is over £5000, then it will not go to small claims court but county court, is that right, and also when filling in the N1 what court do i need to put down, is it just the one local to me or Northampton.

Sally

:?

You claim could well stay in the small claims even so I would not be to concerned as they are more than likely going to settle before you get anywhere near a court. I have added the link for the N1.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/844-n1-claims-form-pdf.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/681-4-particulars-claim-n1.html

Hi,

I start court proceedings tomorrow against the woolwich, it for a far bit on money, 2 aco****s over 6 years, i read that if its over £5000 it will go to county court instead of small claims court, is this right, and if so, is there much difference between the two

from a "getting worried now" Sally

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, can anyone one tell me what happens now, i have taken Barclays to court, they had until 21st to reply, today i have received notification that they have defended the case, they now have 28 days from the date of service of the claim, being a bit thick, but does that me they just have another 14 days from the 21st. Should i start getting my packs for court together yet, or just wait until i get a court date.

You never no perhaps they wont file anything at the end anyway.....

Hi, can anyone tell me what happens now, i have taken the woolwich to court, they had until 21st to reply, today i get a letter from the court that they have defended, being a bit thick, that just means they get another 14 days from the 21st dosn't it an also should i start gettng my court bundles ready or just wait until i get a court date. i can't see them not filing a denfence. i am now getting worried that its all going to go wrong at the end, and i'll come out with nothing,

Thanks for any encouragement :| :|

S

Hi, can anyone tell me what happens now, i have taken the woolwich to court, they had until 21st to reply, today i get a letter from the court that they have defended, being a bit thick, that just means they get another 14 days from the 21st dosn't it an also should i start gettng my court bundles ready or just wait until i get a court date. i can't see them not filing a denfence. i am now getting worried that its all going to go wrong at the end, and i'll come out with nothing,

Thanks for any encouragement :| :|

S

Ok firstly please stick to one thread for this claim, It makes it easier for us to answer your questions. I shall get these merged.

As they have defended the claim they now have the full 28 days from the date the claim was deemed served which is 5 days after you issued the claim.

I would take a look at the court bundle and think about getting prepared to complete it. Howvever I doubt you will get inside a court. ;)

28 days from deemed date of service or 14 days from the 21st should be the same thing ie till March 7th to file a defence.

No need for court bundle yet. There's the AQ to deal with first.

Allocation Questionnaires - A guide to completion

Allocation Questionnaire - Draft directions order

New strategy for Allocation Questionaires

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Can anyone put me mind at rest, on Friday i received my AQ from the court with a letter saying that my case has been transfered to my local court, fine, but after readng what the Woolwich have put as a defence i'm a bit worried, throughout the defence statement they refer to me as a man, "his account" this is stated 3 times, they have also said that i have not given any precise dates and amounts of charges i have incurred, yet i sent a schedule of charges twice with my letters and the first one was achknowledged, that's when i was offered a £1000.00 by them. And also the statement says that i agreed to these charges when i opened the account, but i can honestly say i dont remember getting a list of how much the charges were, but that shouldn't matter should it as they have now been found out to be unlawful?

Are the woolwich getting my case mixed up with someone else's, or is this just their way of getting me worried....... Also sorry i more thing, once i have replied to the AQ is that when i get a court date and have to submit my court bundle?

Thanks for any help or advise given

Sally

Hi, sorry me again, thinking about it, and reading some threads, should i have sent a copy of my schedule of charges to the court when i filed my MCOL, because i didn't, would this explain the defense the woolwich have put in, also some of this i dont understand, could someone just have a quick look to see if there is anything i should be worried about.

the Woolwich have put: 1 The particulars of claim do not provide details of articulars of the precise chargesallegded to have been unlawful, or the dates thereof. Accordingl, this defence is summary in nature and the defendant reserves the right to amend this statement of case in due course. To the extent it is alleged that the claiment incurred bank charges on his account for unauthorised borrowings (whether unpaid fees for returned cheques, "paid referral fees" or any other such fees), the defendant puts the claimant to strict proof of each charge and the date thereof.

2The defendant is entitled to charge the claimant for unauthorised borrowings by reason of its standard terms and condtions. The claimant accepted the same when the account was opened, including (in particular but withour limitation) the following terms and conditions (which are summarised)

a. The defenants right to charge a "paid referral fee" where the defendant pays an amount (either by compulsion or election) which causes the account to become overdrawn _ £30 per item (previously £25).

b. The defendants right to charge an administrative fee if any cheque, standing order or direct debit cannot be pad because of insufficient cleared funds in the account - £30 per item (previously £30).

c. The defendants entitlement, if the claimant becomes overdrawn without an overdraft limit, to charge interest at the unauthorised borrowing rate on the excess balance.

3. The defendants standard terms and conditions give the claimant a fair and transparent view of those terms and the charges applicable for unauthorised borrowings (including where the account is overdrawn without an overdraft limit, or where the claimant exceeds his authorised overdraft limit)

4. If and to the extent it is the claimants case that the failure to make necessary payments and/or failure to remain within authroised overdraft limit and/or failure to arrange an authorised overdraft constituted a breach of the terms applying to the account and that the contractual entitlement to debit charges from the claimants account constitutes a liquidated damage clause, the same is denied. The charges constitutes payments the claimant agreed to make by reason of the terms and conditions of his account and where consideration for the defendant advancing credit to the claimant, which the defendant was under no obligation to advance. The defendant was entitled to impose such charges and interest when the claimant incurred overdraft.

5. Accordingly it is denied that the legal principles relating ro liquidated damages clauses and penalty charges are relevent or applicable to the facts set out above. Further or alternatively it is denied that any such charges constitute unlawful penalty charges or are in breach of the Unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999 or are in breach of the unfair (contracts) terms act 1977 (or any other provision), or are unreasonable within the meaning of s.15 of the supply of goods and services act 1982 (or indeed any other provision).

6. If and to the extent he claimant incurred charges on his account, this was caused by the claimant having gone into overdraft withour having agreed with the defendant an authroised overdraft facility or to increase the overdraft facility and / or his failure to make payments to bring the balance of the account back into credit.

7. It is averred that the said charges and interest are and remain lawful andenforable and that the defendant was entitled to debit the same.

8. The defendant denies that it is liable to the claimant for the sums claimed and interest, as pleaded or at all.

9. In the alternative, and withour prejudice to matters stated above, if (which is denied) the said charges and interest or any part thereof are unlwful or unenforceable as alleged by the claimant or at all, and the charges were a consequence of the breach of contract by the climant, the defendant has nonetheless suffered loss and damage as a consequence of such breach of contract in allowing the account to go into unauthroised overdraft. Accordingly, in the event that the defendant is unable to rely on its express entitlement to enforce the charges as set out at paragraphs 2 to 3 above, it will seek to recover to the extent necessary such loss and damage as it actually suffered, which will not necessarily be limited to the value of said charges, and the defendant seeks to set off such sums against any liability owed hereunder to the claimant.

I'm a bit peeved that i keep being referred to as a man, throughout this defence, what do you think, do i stand a chance................

Also sorry i more thing, once i have replied to the AQ is that when i get a court date and have to submit my court bundle?

Yes See these 2 threads re AQ

should i have sent a copy of my schedule of charges to the court when i filed my MCOL,

Yes, so mention it in your Aq and attach a copy.

Defence is pretty standard.

do i need to attach anything else to the AQ or just the schedule,

Again:

See these 2 threads re AQ

and do i need to corresponde with the woolwich now,

No
or leave it to the court
Yes

I'm filling out my QA that i've received, and i'm getting myself confused (which isn't hard at the moment) under section H other information should i submit the section mentioned in the new strategy for AQ or not, also even though my claim is for nearly £8000 should i try to see if it can go through small claims mentioned in AQ a guide to completion, and is this where i mention that i am attaching a schedule of charges, as i didn't attach this when i filled in my MCOL.

Also do i jsut return this to the court, i dont have to send a copy to the Woolwich do I?

thanks for any help given from a very confused Sally