• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Antonyuk30 v Halifax

antonyuk30
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well hi to all. I just completed my first letter to the Halifax Bank about their excessive banking charges. My claim will be for about £950. Once i receive all the documents from the bank i will list all charges i will claim for.

I really should have done this last year when i first heard about Consumer Action Group but like most people i trusted my bank and never realised i was being ripped off so much. So as from today i am fighting back.

I will keep you informed of my progress.

Good luck to all others who are taking on the banks for taking our money.

Hello

I've just sent my first letter to Halfiax for my bank statements, haven't got a clue what to expect as to the sum of bank charges they have taken from me but it's all very exciting....how efficient are they proving to be as they have paid out the largest amount of money to claimants???

Hi, Well to me they seem to be 'draggng their feet a bit' you know what i mean, they do what they're supposed to but a bit slow. They sent me 12 (!) years of bank statements but took almost 4 weeks doing it and ignored my 'please respond in 14 days ' letter before offering me 1/2 of the amount owed. But looking at other Threads on here they always seem to pay up everything eventually- which is the main thing.! Good luck!

I'm sending a reply insisting upon the total amount being payed.

hi

i wrote to halifax on 15th december for statements...they wrote back within a couple of days asking for cheque for £5 to cover costs or permission to debit account.

this done they sent statements within 2 weeks

i sent letter to my branch asking for refunds amounting to £1444

got a reply fr?om customer services saying sorry to hear you not happy etc..will reply in 4 weeks..that would have brought us up to 25th feb, however heard from them on 15th offering £1115 in part settlement

i have refused and now waiting to hear further

bye

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and am looking for any advice on where to start to get my bank charges back.

Can anyone help with these questions:

*How do I get my back dated statements?

*Are you charged for back dated statements and if so how much?

*When writing a letter to the bank asking for a refund of all charges what should I make sure I say in the letter?

Am sorry for sounding really stupid but am nervous about taking the bank on. Am with the Halifax Bank Of Scotland and they have never been very helpful to me.

Any help is much appreciated, thankyou

Hi 120805,

I cant beleive I'm about to give you advice! Just 6 months ago I was in your position.Since then I've 'taken on' two Credit Cards and one Bank.No problems so far.As long as you read the threads relevant to your cause and the Bank templates Library you'll be ok. The First Letter requesting your initial statements is in there.The charge for these statements is normally £10. Now...take a deep breath and start reading ..your'e among friends now.....

Hi Pelvithrust, thank your for your response I'm so glad that I've started this claim now we need to stand up to the banks especially after yesterdays announcements on the news about record breaking profits the banks are making!!!!

120805 - now that you've started your journey keep going...we're all here to help each other!!!!

Good Luck Guys,

Just keep reading and you can't go wrong.

As far as the Halibags go, I filed a Summary Cause against them in my local Sheriff Court on the 29th Jan, I now have a hearing date of 29th March :)

so hopefully they will settle before this, but the site gives you all the help and info you need. Just stick to the timescales, don't let them stall you and you will eventually get back your money.

X

Tippety toeing where angels fear to tread .... :o

Hey and I thought of that all by my lonesome :cool:

1st Data Protection Act letter Halifax - 30th Sept 2006

Non compliance letter sent 23rd November 2006 :mad:

Preliminary request for repayment sent 11th Dec 06

Reply from the Halifax stating that they're investigating my concerns!!!.... Rec 15th Dec 06

LBA sent 30th December 2006 :mad:

Offer from Halifax of £814.00 - 5th January 2007

Rejection of Settlement Offer - 6th January 2007 ;)

Papers filed at Court - 29th January 2007

:) Settled in Full, 16th March, 2007

Why are banks such ratbags, they know that we're going to go as far as putting a claim throught the courts and they know they can;t win so why why why waste our time and theirs, why can't they just agree to the charges and pay up?????

KEEP FIGHTING

x

I think they want to make you go through the whole process and it to make it as unpleasant as possible to deter others from claiming.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Received my statements on monday 5th March, sent out my prelim letter on 6th March asking for £1301 taken in charges.....I will fight to the end I'm not giving up now!!

14 days and counting till the LBA goes out.....quite looking forward to it really.

xxxx

2 weeks ago I faxed 2 different Halifax branches with regards to 2 different accounts and asked for my archived statements. I have still not had any response from the bank though. How long did you have to wait for your statements? Should I get back in touch with them to chase this up? :confused:

Hi 120805

In total I waited about 30 days, sent the letter off on 1st Feb, they banked my cheque on the 12th or 13th then I gave them a phone chaser and received them on Monday 5th March. It is so hard when your waiting for somehting and I'm not the most patient person to begin with so it is really tough, but when you get those statements it is sooooo exciting adding up all your charges and planning what to spend it on!!!!!

The cheeky monekys owe me £1300, to me that is a big sum of money to get back so hang in there it will be worth it in the end.

Just keep on reading the threads and ask any questions if your not sure about anything.

Keep us posted.:p

Thanks so much for your help. I cant wait to get all my money back. Last year alone on just one account they took over £800 from me in charges and this year we have already racked up another couple of hundred. I cant wait to see how much the total will be for 6 years. Its sooooo exciting. Ive got 2 kids and already am planning what am going buy for them with this money. Plus of course I need a new car to reward myself for the stresses that this crap bank have put me and my family through! :)

Dont know if you guys can help me with this but myself and my husband just signed up to start work with a company called Apecco Ltd. The job intales them transferring large sums of money into your bank account and then you taken the money (minus 6% commission which you get to keep) to a place called Western Union and depositing it there.

Well we just got our first amount of money from Apecco and it is for £1700 (so we get to keep £100). But since the money went into our account the bank has now frozen all of my bank accounts and said that they suspect that this Appeco is fraudulent. Ive to go into my bank tomorrow to show i.d to get my accounts unlocked. Will I be allowed to keep the £1700 if the company is not registered and it is fraudulent?

That would be neat!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well friends the statements from Halifax Bank finally arrived 4 days before the 40 day deadline.

I had only requested 6 years of statements from them but some jobsworth has sent me all my statement as far back as October 1986 (what a nice Person eh!). My original estimate was for £950. The true figure after 2 hours of sorting statements is £1835. :D

I have just finished my letter to Halifax requesting a full refund giving them another 14 days to reply. If they stay to form they will probably say NO. But never mind I am prepared to take them to court if need be.

I’ll keep you all updated as soon as Halifax make their next move.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again the Halifax has responded to my request for a refund of excessive charges. They say "We are sorry to learn you are unhappy with the charges debited to your bank account" Yeah right! :rolleyes:

Now they say they need 8 weeks to investigate my complaint. Do they really think I’m going to give up when they have so much of my money still in their bank account! I’ll wait if that’s what they want to do, the result will be the same in 8 weeks, and they will still be paying me the money back.

Because I closed my account and moved my custom to another bank they now say I owe them £598 for cancelled direct debits and admin.

I've told them I will not pay, as these are ridiculously high charges.

They then passed this debt to a debt collection agency.

Nice people running the Halifax are there not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh well the Halifax bank has responded as I thought they would, saying, after a long and thorough investigation of my complaint they are satisfied that the charges have been correctly applied to my account. They reason that when I opened my account I agreed to their terms and conditions, which explains the charges applied to my account.

They go on to say, “we apply these charges because customers have insufficient funds in their account to cover a payment they have asked us to make, this means additional work for us. As a result, we feel it is reasonable to charge for this service.”

To me this letter they sent me is both demeaning and arrogant. It’s as if they are saying “we can do as we please because we are a big powerful bank, now go away and stop bothering us with your petty little claim.”

They are in for a shock, as I am not going away, not until they pay back my money. As of Monday I will go to my local court and start court proceedings against the Halifax Bank to reclaim my money plus interest (8%) and I will include the costs of all the phone calls and letters that I have sent.

(I wonder if I can charge them £39 per letter?)

Hi antonyuk30,

I just got the same letter as you this morning. What a right pain in the a*** they are being.

I live in Scotland which is why I never went ahead with court action as my claim is outwith the Scottish small claims so it would of cost me too much getting a solicitor. Am now going to file for court at the Halifax registered office which is in England. Like yourself am still going to fight this. They aint shaking the small Scottish lass off their ankles yet!!:p

Keep us updated on your court claim and good luck :)