connors

connors
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hiya, everyone,

can anyone help, thinking of claiming my extortionate crippling bank charges back, i'm a bit worried that the bank would call in existing loans, credit cards etc, can they do that,

connors

Hi they can not call in loans or credit cards as long as you are making the regular payments.

My advice is to reclaim your bank charges, spend some time reading the FAQS and step by step instructions also read some success threads in your bank forum. Then start a thread for each of your claims in their respective forums and post any questions there.

hi,

i have just been reading through some Q&A's, i am worried about them closing my bank account, can they just do that? also it does all seem a bit complicated and a lot of legal jargon, not sure if i could do through all that, saying that, i predict it is in excess of £5,000 if not more, all advice welcomed,

connor's

hi,

i have just been reading through some Q&A's, i am worried about them closing my bank account, can they just do that? also it does all seem a bit complicated and a lot of legal jargon, not sure if i could do through all that, saying that, i predict it is in excess of £5,000 if not more, all advice welcomed,

connor's

Ok start a thread please for this claim, do not be worried about the process we will help you through it, They may close your account but this is very unlikely.

i know i probably sound stupid but i am worried about them closing our bank account, as we are unlikely to find another bank to take us on, what about our mortgage and everything

Ok for the third time please start a thread in your banks forum.

If the mortgage is with the bank you have the charges with they are highly unlikely to close your account as they want their repayments. Even if they are not the closing of accounts is very rare.

Can you please let me know what bank you are with so I can move this thread into the right forum ,

Thankyou

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

hi connors welcome to the forum.

firstly take your time and read as many threads, faq's as you possibly can and build up your confidence before you start. there are people here every step of the way to help you should you have any queries/questions anything!

hsbc will usally close your bank account ONLY after a second claim, very unusual for them to close on a first claim.

as i said, read as much as you can - we're here to help you ok?

netty

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

and here's a handy link: Newcomer? Here's A User Guide

keep it to hand - it will help a lot.

and remember, we were all once where you are now and are here to help - but you do the leg work - we advise. so, as netty said - read up as much as possible to get familiar - when you are ready - you can begin.

thank you all for your advice, i was thinking of giving up as i felt so 'stupid' and unaware, really am in unchartered territory, which is why i've joined this forum, (never even joined a forum before!),however we have decided to go ahead as the bank after knowing we are in financial difficulty, have just slapped £200 bank charge in less than 2 weeks on us, letter is being delivered today, by hand, hope this is right procedure, i am claiming on two accounts, but have only put one letter with two acc no's on,is this ok? will keep you posted, once again, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

got our statements on line and the charges added up to £2,228.50, we have requested charges to be paid back for the sum of £2,034.72, does that sound right, we done that by taking off £4.50 for every charge and adding interest of 8%, sent letter today, will let you know what happens next,

I wouldn't go taking off any money for their benefit either!!! I wouldn't want you setting a precident for other people's claims. Also you shouldn't really include your interest calculation until you start the process of taking them to court at this stage you can add 8% for interest.

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

connors

enter all the charges onto an 'england-simple-excel' spreadsheet. it works out all the interest, days since the 'offence' etc. really easy. don't go doing your own thing as mistakes can be costly. if they pick up on anything not quite right, they'll hang you out to dry!! just do the tried and tested version of events and you'll be fine - there's plenty of people here to help you at every stage... ok

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

when you send your next letter in 14 days - you can send a "revised schedule of charges" that you are reclaiming - so, start with the oldest - enter it onto the spreadsheet - call it what the bank calls it and put in the charge. work your way to the newest charge - you can count charges right up to the day you file your claim which could be 14 days after the second letter. so, when you finish the simple spreadsheet - you will have a lovely, neat list to send them with the second letter - just fold over or cover over the 8% interest column for the second letter - you need that for the claim - not before. go back to that thread:Newcomer? Here's A User Gu anytime you like - find the step by step instructions and it gives you the time frame and useful links to the templates and other sites which you will need. see if you can get that spreadsheet done within the next couple of days. get back if you need help. next letter - you can hand deliver to the bank (in which case ask for a receipt) or post it and send it recorded delivery - it costs £1 and you can track when it gets there.

the reason i took 4.50 off for each charge was because that is what i thought the Trevor McDonald programme advised, so do i now need to add up each charge with interest as above, also i have just been charged another £100, and i'm not even overdrawn, but they kindly informed me this is for being overdrawn on the 13th of February even though they've taken £225 out up until the 16th of February, is it okay to put that on the next letter? A 'Revised schedule' of charges,before i send next letter i will seek advice from you all, also i will scrutinies new users guide, thanx for all your help

you reclaim what has been taken from you - no more, no less.

once you've read up a little - do the advanced spreadsheet if you are trying to reclaim overdraft interest and the simple s/s if you aren't. the 8% interest you will claim back doesn't come into play until the claim stage.

as for any newer charges - you can add anything they add on - up until you file the claim. cross reference your charges with this:Charges description on statements - Please Read .

just send a revised schedule with your next letter.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

it's now been 14 days and no reply from the bank, i have re-calculated my charges, am i right in sending this letter with my revised charges,

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

I am very disappointed that you have failed to respond to my letter of the [XXDATEXX].

I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX.

I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the [XXDATE OF FIRST LETTERXX]

What interest are you claiming, as you can only claim the interest charged for the charge they levied and not the total interests debited from your account.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

connors, first - on the letter - i'd put please find a revised copy of my schedule of charges....

secondly, as it is so important to get this right -

did you follow the guidelines i sent for doing to advanced spreadsheet to get the overdraft interest total which you are asking for. as jowalshy says you can't just add them on as a charge - it must be done through using the advanced s/s and done properly else you will not get it back.

so, did you manage to do the advanced s/s and get a total on both sides one for charges and one for overdraft interest?

then, doing it again on the 8% tab - you will have gotten a total for the i

8% interest which you don't show them now (cover it or fold it or whatever) as that interest will be added at the claim stage.

just want to make sure it is correct before you post it. get back.

hiya,

i put all charges on the spreadsheet as you instructed, most of them say they are for 'total charges', am i okay to claim them? is it okay to cut off the end column? do i need to hand deliver or send to the bank, getting all different advice, help!!!!

Connors

:confused:

What interest are you claiming, as you can only claim the interest charged for the charge they levied and not the total interests debited from your account.

oh i finally get what you mean, sorry, takes a bit of time to sink in, not sure if we've incurred charges on their charges, maybe we did in january of this year, is it worth claiming that? :o

Connors

Hi Connors, have a look on the charges description part, it will explain what you can claim for. If you had charges applied to your account which pushed you over your agreed limit, you will be charged for that aswell, so charges on charges? Yes you can claim. You cannot claim for pre-arranged charges i.e charges for temporarily extending your overdraft limit etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D