I am become penalties, destroyer of banks.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I found this site earlier today after finally having enough of ridiulous charges levied by Halifax for direct debits and standing orders not going out.

7 charges in the last 6 months alone. My wife and I are both in full-time work, but every now and then something comes up which means our funds are lower than anticipated and so a debit or order does not have the requisite funds available to fulfill it. So, in that time of poverty, how do the bank try to assist us? By making us poorer and taking £39 to really make things harder. Or, as of yesterday's latest charge, to knock us into unauthorised overdraft area.

This site seems excellent, and I have already read through a lot of the information to make sure I know what I am doing and that I understand the required steps and just how far taking action against the bank may go. I'd guess that Halifax have had several hundred pounds from us over the years in charges (penalties), so I think it's well worth trying to retrieve our money.

I'm getting ready to send a letter of Subject Access Request to find out just how much money they've had so far, but of course I must wait before I can send it as I don't have the £10 to send them (-£4.30 in my account after latest £39 charge because of job change meaning altered pay days and hence temporary poverty).

I'm quite looking forward to this particular battle. It's rather sad and pathetic that they are not stopped from issuing these charges, and that we have to find time to claw back our hard-earned money, but that's the UK - and most of the world - for ya.

Interestingly, in Spain (where I used to reside), the banks charge NOTHING for failed direct debits or standing orders. When I spoke to one of the employees in my Spanish bank branch about the situation in the UK, he was incredulous, especially as to the amounts taken from the customer of £30+. He asked me at least twice if I was sure of the situation and not joking with him or exaggerating.

The UK is a very odd place: light is shone on the situation of banks charging ridiculous fees for something which costs them next to nothing, and what then happens? People with virtually no power or say (us) moan a bit, the papers jump on it for a day or two then it gets forgotten by all and the banks then INCREASE their charges! Halifax from £30 to £35 and now to £39. Another example: cheques take a working week to clear when that amount of delay is unnecessary, and the same things happen in the public consciousness and media, then some banks actually increase the delay time. Again, in Spain a cheque to the "cheque holder" is paid instantly, and a cheque made out to a name or business takes around 2 to 3 days to clear.

Just how democratic is the UK, really. Anyway, enough of my moaning. Here's to all of us getting out money back. Best of luck to all!

I agree Ripoff-Britain I was talking to my brother in Germany he nearly choked on his coffee when I told him about how much bank charges are here in the UK!Goodluck although you won't need it!Any help needed or just a bit of encouragement theres thousands here willing to help.

Ripoff-Britain nearly used the actual quote which your title suggested in my signature, I bow to you sir, you got in there first.

Thanks for the encouragement. As things progress, I'll return here and post the latest. It's superb that people go to the trouble of making sites like this one to help those of us who want justice but work all week and so don't have the time to try and educate ourselves from sources we'd struggle to find and properly understand. All the info is here in one place and everything explained in such a way that we can get moving quite quickly.

All the best.