• Tweets

• https://www.bindmans.com/news/neale-v-dpp-the-right-to-silence-citizens-duties-and-coronavirus-regulations   Perhaps the OP should have said nothing - and risked arrest!   "Firstly, the case calls into question the logic behind aspects of the criminal justice response to the public health crisis created by the Coronavirus pandemic...   "Secondly, it is clear that some police officers have misunderstood and misstated their powers, and citizens’ obligations, under the Regulations and at common law...   "Thirdly, the case confirms reasonable excuses for being outside are not limited to those explicitly set out in the Regulations. Police officers considering whether there are reasonable grounds for believing that an offence has been committed under the Regulations so that an FPN may be issued, or the reasonable grounds for suspicion that are necessary for an arrest, should give proper consideration to any explanation given by members of the public (and what a court might think of them) rather than only recognising those exceptions explicitly listed in the Regulations and/or government guidance...   Fourthly, the case is an example of a failure of the CPS review into prosecutions brought under Coronavirus Regulations, which has found that alarming numbers of cases were wrongly charged..."   Above quotes from the Bindman's article, not the decision.  Case arose from the first lockdown and was in Wales.  Same now?  Also was about not being at home - not mask wearing.    
    • No the first LBA was delivered by royal mail, but I responded by email, sorry if I didn't make that clear.   I look at redacting the emails tomorrow, got to get some sleep now.   Thanks
    • ok well that changes things alot. you've accepted one before by email  and now they are doing it again ..   might have shot yourself in the foot until now lets get some 1st aid done.   gonna be a pain to redact but i'm gonna need to see all the emails in/out please in ONE MULTIPAGE PDF from/inc  date of their last PAPLOC   redact them properly !! read our upload guide carefully   you may  think this is immaterial, but its not, esp important is their and your exact wording
    • OK I've looked back at my emails and it appears I've been dealing with shoosmiths since the start of 2019 when they sent a LBA that I'd totally forgot about.   I replied that I didn't recognise the debt and we got into a big letter tennis over the facts.   They then went quiet and then contacted me again in April 2020 asking for income and expenditure details to work out a payment plan with them.   After I responded with my covid comments they went quiet again.   And now they are back with another LBA and I haven't responded to that.   Hope that clears it up. 
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Barclays have filed @ County court 4 Overdraft

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5022 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Barclays Bank have withdrawn my overdraft, filed at county court to retrive their funds, what should I do good people?

I have already filed my 14 day mandatory acknowledgement.

Do I go ahead and file a counter claim?

Need advise despearately to nail these you know what!

edited

Telewest v RBS

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/61214-telewest-rbs.html[/url]

Telewest v A&L

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/61215-telwest-l.html[/url]

Telewest v Halifax

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/63775-telewest-halifax.html[/url]

If I've helped - hit the scales and rate me!

Thanks Telewest, I am new to this wonderful site, I am finding it difficult to navigate it, please bear with me.

I had a voluntary arrangement to clear the overdraft. Started receiving threatening letters and calls. Next I knew, they have put a defAULT ON MY CREDIT FILE AND SENT IT TO debt collectors. I called their bluff and stumbled on a piece of info in relation to claiming your bank charges. After sending them the data protection act letter asking for my six years details, they responded quite swiftly to my disbelief, I proceeded on the next stage of demading my charges back. Then wham, I receive a claim from the county court, barclays demanding their funds.

I have filed my acknowledgemnt for my defense to follow. I dont know whether I need to file a counterclaim as well or make my claim move in another court?

Thanks for the response Telewest

After sending in my threatening letter, Barclays have filed at the Northampton County Court for my withdrawn overdraft of £2,300.

Before that I had already requested for my previous 6 years data, received a reply and calculated that they owe me over £3000

I have completed and forwarded my axcknowledgement, which means I have to file my defense within 2 weeks.

Can the good people of webland please advise whether I need to file a counter claim now, or make a fresh claim at another county court?

Guest willowb
Hi Papyron

Posting this in the welcome section isn't the best place - suggest you post again in the General or Barclays forum giving as much info as you can, PM a mod to merge the threads and we can offer advice.

Eg when you say they filed at country court have they sold the debt? Did they default you? Why was the o/d removed etc- we need more info.

As Telewest has said, post all the details you can in a new thread within the 'barclays' section.

Wxxx

edited

Telewest v RBS

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/61214-telewest-rbs.html[/url]

Telewest v A&L

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/61215-telwest-l.html[/url]

Telewest v Halifax

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/63775-telewest-halifax.html[/url]

No Telewest, I contacted Barclays and they gave me a figure for each month.

Yes I couldnt keep up with the payments regularly then my account was closed and a county court claim. There is no doubt it is a retaliatory measure after I started proceedings to reclaim my fees.

Do you think I can counterclaim now?

Guest willowb

Hello again:)

I'm sorry but this is far too 'involved' for the welcome forum.....you need to post a new thread in 'Barclays' and give a lot more information than you have here in order for people to properly help you.

If necessary pm a mod with a link to your thread.

Good luck

Wxxx

edited

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

edited

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

I received this email today from Moneysaver.com It gives advice for people reclaiming bank charges if they have an overdraft (like us)

thought you might find it useful

Bank Charges Reclaiming: What to do if you're overdrawn | MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge, Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more,

After a lot of reading and research, I requested for my past 6 years data.

Forwarded my standard letter reclaiming all my charges.

In the mean time Barclays had threatened to close my account because I had not kept up with my voluntary arrangemment to pay it off(£2300)

After refusing my reclaim letter, they have retaliated by filing at Northampton County Court for their withdrwan overdraft.

I have filed an acknowledgement, which means my defence shd be in in 14 days.

What do I do, Shd I counterclaim with my reclaim charges totalling over £3,000? or start a whole new claim at a different court?

Shd I also proceed to the FOS for Barclays retaliatory measure as per the Allianc & Leicester rul;ing? Need help desperately. Thanks

Personally i would prepare a counter claim sharpish, if they get a ccj you will have to appeal to get it removed and that wont be easy as far as i can make out.

If you want the best advice the boards can muster then you need to post the details of their claim agaisnt you so that you can rebutt their claims in your defence as well as making your counter claim.

I would recommend that you act sharpish because if you spend a lot of time faffing about before posting thier claim details then it doesnt give you much time to make decisiosn and work out your defence/counterclaim.

HTH

Glenn

PS I think it would be breaking the banking code if you had registered a formal dispute.

Unless you have sent them a letter specificaly entering a dispute with them over the account i think they will deal with that claim easily.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hello Teach,

Thanks for asking, Like I said, the overdraft was withdrawn in June 06, I entered into voluntary arrangement to pay it off then got into problems.

When I sent the data protection letter, that is when things kicked off, with their threatening letters from their debt collectors. I sent replies back protesting, then I got my charges over the last 6 years through.

After calculating how much they have fleeced me off my finances, I sent in the threatening leeter to reclaim my charges.

Then the whammy, their customer services managers have written to me on two occassions that they are looking into the matter,( have the letters with me), then out of the blue I received the MCOL fron the county court from barclays.

Hope the chain of events is clearer now.

Yes, sorry Papyron I misunderstood.

I hope that you get every penny of your money back! The're quick to ask for their money back but not so quick to give ours back are they?

Good luck!

I'm a bit worried because barclays informed me today by phone that my overdraft facillity has been withdrawn. I hoping that because I sent LBA beginning of the week that I will get MCOL in before barclays has a chance to anything about reclaiming overdraft. I am going to offer them £10 a month and hope that keeps them off my back.

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][U][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue]Barclays bank[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]- £1260.00[/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue][B]Settled for £1774.20 - [COLOR=#ff00ff]7th June 2007[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][U][COLOR=red]MBNA - £1994.46 - [/COLOR][COLOR=red]inc contractual int[/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][B]Settled for £2024.00 - [COLOR=magenta]16th April 2007[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=indigo][B]First Direct - £1147.00[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][COLOR=#4b0082][COLOR=indigo]Settled for £1147.00 -[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff00ff]1st May [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=magenta]2007[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=green][B][U]Capital One - £802.83 - inc contractual int[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=#008000]Prelim sent - [COLOR=#ff00ff]28th March 2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]LBA sent - [COLOR=magenta]19th April 2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Hi Mad house 5, I think that will be your best tactic and option. Make them an offer and please stick to it. In my instance, going back to school as a matured student and changing jobs at the same time got me into financial difficulties.

Nevertheless I believe they struck first when they a whiff of what was coming thier way. i.e my data protection letter and following it up with the threatening reclaim letter.

Not to worry lets go for it, afterall what have we got to lose?

I have already switched accounts an operating my DD and Standingg orders from another bank.

There is a similar thread to this somewhere else.

I'm sure a mod or someone in the know ill be along shortly.

Acknowledge, which will give you 28 day breathing space. The other tyhread's gist was request that the claim by Barstewards be transfered and heard at the same time as yours.

Since you haven't submitted a claim my guess is that the defence would include a counterclaim.

Have you opened a parachute account?

I already have another account that my DD come out of.

I'm just hoping barclays settle before my hubby is made redundant the end of may. Fingers crossed.

Good luck

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][U][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue]Barclays bank[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]- £1260.00[/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue][B]Settled for £1774.20 - [COLOR=#ff00ff]7th June 2007[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][U][COLOR=red]MBNA - £1994.46 - [/COLOR][COLOR=red]inc contractual int[/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][B]Settled for £2024.00 - [COLOR=magenta]16th April 2007[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=indigo][B]First Direct - £1147.00[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][COLOR=#4b0082][COLOR=indigo]Settled for £1147.00 -[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff00ff]1st May [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=magenta]2007[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=green][B][U]Capital One - £802.83 - inc contractual int[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=#008000]Prelim sent - [COLOR=#ff00ff]28th March 2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]LBA sent - [COLOR=magenta]19th April 2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]