Gas/Electric Meters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As you may know from my other post, I am currently in the process of going to the small claims court for the return of my deposit.

During the tenancy, due to the fact that I am on benefits caring for my son, the gas and electric meters were changed to prepayment. This was to make it easier for me to budget, and there was nothing in the tenancy agreement to say i couldnt do this.

Initially, the landlord submitted in their schedule of defects and repairs entries for changing the meters back to `normal` ones, until I pointed out that there was no cost involved in doing this.

In the bundle the landlord has now submitted in their defence is copies of prepayment receipts for gas and electric supplied after I moved out, up to the present date.

Along with this they have provided a copy of a web page which claims the could be saving 80% by taking a particular tariff with one of the energy suppliers.

They are now claiming 80% of the cost of the gas and electricity since I moved out, stating it is 80% more expensive on prepayment from what they could get.

I am obviously disputing this, as there was nothing stopping them changing it back as soon as i moved out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

As a landlord I've experienced a situation where the electricity board changed the standard meter at a property to a pre-payment meter because the tenant was just not paying the bill....and accruing significant debt. Pre-payment electricity does attract a higher rate per kw/hr but I guess rates vary from supplier to supplier.

When the tenants finally left I simply contacted the elec provider and asked them to change the meter back to how it was originally.

It took about 1-2 wks to resolve, but the supplier agreed any electricity consumed in the intervening period would only be charged at the standard rate. Can't remember exactly how it was handled but I certainly was not liable for any 'premium' rate electricity.

Make sure you keep a record of your closing meter reading. It would also do no harm to contact the elec provider yourself to hear first hand what their policy is.

My thoughts: The landlord MAY have had a point, based upon the fact that he is entitled to receive the property back in the same condition, and he is entitled to any financial costs which occurred to put it back in the same condition. However, this appears to be offset by several points:

- If Powergens policy is the same as SE, as Stig outlines above, they have not incurred any financial loss.

- At max, even if the policy was different, he would only be entitled to a couple of weeks of this, as he has not mitigated his loss by arranging the prepay meter to be removed straight away. Therefore he could only be entitled to the time period it would take to remove it.

- His logic behind the 80% is flawed. He could only charge the difference between the rates for the CURRENT provider, not for the difference between the current rate and the lowest possible market rate.

- Finally, what difference does it make to him? He personally has incurred no financial loss to this I assume, it would only be his tenants! He cannot sue for "anticipated" extra costs on someone else!

Make all of these points in court, as well as stating that you had a right to make the changes to the supply, and I cannot envisage it being too much of a problem. The costs will either be thrown out, or be nominal.

In my opinion!!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!