• Tweets

• did you submit your directions
    • They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

johnnymitch v HSBC

johnnymitch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There Fellow Claimants,

I wrote twice to HSBC and told them they owed me about £620. They didn't answer either letter(2nd one, LBA, sent recorded delivery). At the exact 14 day point from there I instigated Court action online. Of course this meant the amount I was asking for went up to about £800, (interest + court costs (£80))

Then they came up with an offer, of £500, but with no admittance of liability, and as far as |I know they haven't advised the Court of this offer. (I think I'm right in saying they should if they're admitting even part liability?).

Now they have lodged a 'Defence' according to the online Court update.

I have a feeling they're trying to take me to the brink, but I've got the file ready if it goes there, and I'm prepared to argue it. But I think they'll pull out at the last minute. I' now waiting for details of where and when the Court action will be.

Any advice out there?

Thanks , John

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya john, Good Luck !!!

From what I have seen here just stick to your time line, read up on the arguments for claiming what you have and have the reasons very clear in your mind if you do get to court, including the tricky questions the banks cant answer.

But one step at a time, very few get as far as court from what I can see and there is plenty of help and advice if you have any questions.

pete

Thanks Pete,

Good to know I'm on the right lines - I don't think it'll get to court(has anyone's to your knowledge?) - but I'll have the awkward list with me if it comes to that!

It's good to have your support though, Thanks again , John

PS: Good luck with yours, I didn't realise your process is actually behind mine!

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Think a few have been to court but they tend to be people who are doing something a bit different i.e. going over the 6 year statute of limitations which gives HSBC's solicitors something to argue. I’ve not seen anything in the threads about "standard" claims that get as far as court.

They do wait untill the last minute to send anything though, I think someone at HSBC is trying to build a blue brick house

pete

yep i'm not at MCOL yet but the clocks ticking, find this site facinating.

Have now received the Allocation Questionnaire with deadline for it's return of 3 March(it'll be returned well before that !) Meanwhile my online staus is:Status of this Claim

Defence

You are unable to take any further action online on this claim.

The Defendant disputes the whole amount you have claimed. Your claim cannot proceed online and will be transferred to the appropriate court for continuation. You will receive confirmation to where the claim has been transferred to shortly.

Has anyone been here before? Observations or advice would be welcome. I have today prepared two files, one for the court and one for me - what else can I do at this stage - is there still time for them to pull out, or have they now got to run with it?

Thanks in anticipation

John

Nemo me impune lacessit

Hi John, there are loads of threads about filling in the AQ's, do a search and look for any bits your not sure about and the problems other people have had. One particular thread that court my eye and could reduce the time after submission is this one

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/57708-draft-order-allocation-questionnaires.html

Lots of comments by the senior people here on this thread all good stuff.

pete

john

ok, have you sent a breakdown of your charges to dg? reason i ask is because dg never offers but what they don't first ask for a breakdown - so if you haven't yet - send them one - address on pg 2 of your acknowledgment. if you have sent one - now is the time to ring dg to see if it was received - it is keeping you on their lips - ring them. even if you haven't sent one - ring them to tell them that you are sending one. and then do it. keep pestering them every couple of days with something - it bumps you up to the top of their to-do list.

now, as for the aq - plenty of time - not due until 3 mar.

here's the info on the aq.ok, :Allocation Questionnaires - A guide to completion

this is your step by step completion guide - and here is:New strategy for Allocation Questionaires

and here is how to use it:

for section g on the aq, use the wording on post #3 of new strategy link,

and then attach draft order for directions to your aq - use wording on post #2 of new strategy link making sure to add your name and court claim number to all pages. simple as that. just follow the steps with these two minor additions. the draft order is just asking the judge to order both parties to lay out their wares within 14 days of him ordering it - so it shortens the length of the time to a court date - and as dg/hsbc/all banks don't want to do it - they will pay up by offer or just not file their aq in which case you also win.

as for your last question - no one has gone to court - they might have a court date - but i don't think hsbc has gone at all yet - i feel quite confident saying - they will deal before that - but - let's get some action going here and hope for an offer before the aq is due - for that reason - let's not be too hasty to get it in - 2 march is fine - just before the deadline (but don't miss the deadline). if you file now - my thinking is - they just plop it onto the inactive files they haven't got to do anything to for a couple of weeks - let's keep it active - ring them - bug them - dance naked in front of their building. whatever! get back if you have questions or need more reassurance.

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies Castlebest and lateralus. It is really appreciated at this stage. I've been fine

up to now, followed the steps fairly well, but now I'm getting slightly out of my depth I think.

Everyone is talking about DG. I must admit to complete ignorance here - what or who is DG and where do they come into the picture. Is there some document that I should have had that tells me about them? He-e-e-e-lp!!!! :???:

I'm determined to see this through,even if I have to go to court, but i want to be 100% prepared, with your help I can be!

Cheers, John

Nemo me impune lacessit

PS: If I dance naked in front of their building they'll definitely pay me just to move on!

Nemo me impune lacessit

dg is hsbc's in-house solicitor firm which handles all these claims. so, once you've filed a claim your contact is with dg, not hsbc.

in your acknowledgment - pg2 is the box they ticked where they intend to defend - that's where you get their address (or in the contact info above in the hsbc forum notes),

anyway, now go back and start reading what i wrote above - obviously you haven't sent them a copy of your breakdown - do so, immediately and then monday, ring them to see if they have arrived and all else as above.

dare you!

Thanks again, lateralus,

Now I know where you're coming from! I don't seem to have a written acknowledgement though, the only notification I can find was the online one. However I've now found and saved DG's details and will run with your advice -I will keep you posted - thanks ever so much!

Cheers John :-)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Not if you value your video ,Pete!

Nemo me impune lacessit

There's no answer to that which won't get me in trouble! LOL!;)

Sorry, that was for you, lateralus!

Nemo me impune lacessit

Right lateralus - here we go! I've found the letter of acknowledgement - filed unopened by someone who shall remain nameless - and I've done a leeter for the court to submit the copies of Schedule of Claim. Now that it's moved from Northampton to the local court I suppose I can drop it in by hand?

I've also got a letter done for DG - (now I know who they are, I'm cooking with gas!). Tried to phone them on the pretext of asking if they need anymore than the schedule at this stage, but Deborah D'Aubeney is on leave till Monday, so I'll leave it for now - I''ll ring next week to 'check that she got the letter' ;)

Things are moving apace - I'm working on the court bundle but hope I won't need it.

Thanks again for your support, it makes a big difference when you know you're not on your own.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Just to get it clear about the 'Court Bundle' - at what point do I have to produce this and do I send one to the court and one to the Defendant, or do I give 2 to the court and they send 1 to the defendant. At what point does everybody need this - I've seen conflicting views and I don't want to fall down on protocol at this stage. :confused:

Hopefully it won't get that far and they'll default on the AQ, but I suppose I've got to be ready if they don't!

Nemo me impune lacessit

It's OK, just me panicking! The bundle goes within 14 days of the Draft Order for Directions - right? And it's the claimant who sends it to both!!

Nemo me impune lacessit

all that is aways down the line - stop panicing. after they defend - you get the aq and even then you don't do the court bundle. later.........

all you need now is to get the aq in order incase you need to file it - as per post 7 above - if the judge makes the draft direction a draft order - both sides have 14 days from his letter to produce 4 things - i'll post them here - but it is just a lot of copying - nothing new - and one of the 4 is the court bundle. unless you are dead keen to read ahead - don't bother just yet - but it's all here:one more quickie, if the judge agrees and it comes back and you have 14 days to send in the four things (post #47 of new strategy), and i see the evidence one (post #55 in new strategy) and a,b, and d are pretty self explanatory. and you are sending this back to the court - at what point do you send all this stuff to dg or do you? someone said about sending the aq to dg - certainly not before this point is it? at the same time as sending it to the courts? and the answer:

you send the stuff to the courts and the defendant (DG). its just a matter of courtesy sending DG a copy of your AQ when you send it to court. it isn't a requirement.

again, that will keep you off the streets for a bit - but certainly don't get ahead of yourself and start all the copying - may/probably won't, be needed.

Oh, thanks again, Lateralus - I don't know what I'd do without your calming influence:)

Cheers, John

Nemo me impune lacessit

OK, here we go again -

I sent Debbie D (DG) a breakdown of charges (recorded delivery) on Tues 20th and at the same time handed into the County Court 3 copies of the same breakdown and my AQ, together with the new 'Draft Order for Directions'.

I phoned Debbie today - just to check that she got it OK:rolleyes: - I think she's permanently on voicemail now, so I'm waiting for her to phone back - be nice if it was with an offer - but my deadline is not till 3 March.

I notice that the papers have picked up on it today - some are running it on the front page. Hope we get ours before the rush starts - or the Banks will be using that as an excuse for taking forever to refund!

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...

Right, here we go again -

I've kept my head down until deadline date(3 Mar) then asked local court if DG had filed AQ. They said give them a couple of days to find out as they were a bit inundated. Phoned today, they said 'No' and suggested I go for judgement. They will help with it - looks like the last lap - it seems the court were not prepared to give DG any more time - settlement may be just around the corner:D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Fingers crossed for you Johnny..

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

seen my new thread? after the aq is filed............

you may get a little help there - like the judgment form. but the courts will be your biggest help - fingers crossed for you - let me know how it's going - maybe on that thread - as i'm try to build up a picture for everybody.

When you have filed your AQ................ (multipage.gif1 2 3)