• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Yvette v Yorkshire Bank!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I have just received a letter from Yorkshire Bank confirming receipt of my S.A.R. (Subject Access Request) letter and that the information will be forwarded to me within the 40 days.

However the letter includes the following paragraph:-

" With regard to your request for information relating to manual intervention on your account, there is no specific mention of manual intervention within the Data Protection Act and as such we are under no statutory obligation to record or provide this information"

Can anyone tell me what the implications of this are? Has anyone else had the same letter? My account with them has been closed since January 2005 does that make a difference?

Thanks

Yvette

Hi Yvette, Don't think it does. I think it's just a case of YB not wanting to give up details of exactly how much each action costs.

As soon as they do that they really won't have a leg to stand on......well, not that they do now anyway!

It is just standard wording as I got exactly the same response.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I received two letters this week, 2nd one today, with this detail in:-

RE: Data Protection Act 1998 - Data Subject Access Request

I refer to our previous correspondance acknowledging receipt of your request for details of charges and/or statements relating to your bank account(s)

Within the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 we have 40 days in which to provide you with the information we hold. The end of this time period has almost been reached, however, due to the high volume of requests we have received in relation to this high profile issue, I regret that we are not yet able to provide you with the information requested.

Whilst you are within your rights to refer the matter to the Information Commisioner at the end of the 40 day period, I confirm that we shall provide you with the information as soon as we possibly can.

I thank you for your continued patience and understanding in this matter.

Yours sincerely

T.C Rayner

Advice Quality Unit-Charges Section

There wasn't a contact number on the letters so I did a BT search based on the address and phoned this number 0113 231 5000 . I asked for the Advice Quality Unit, when I was put through I asked for T.C. Rayner. I was told she didn't work Fridays but he would take a message. I said the letter states they can't produce the statements in the 40 days required but could they tell how much longer they were going to take? He took my phone number and said someone would call me back. They did, about 1 hour later! I was told the statements should be with me by the end of next week, which also happens to be when the 40 days are actually up!! So why send out the letters? I think they are inundated with SAR letters, and are fighting a losing battle!!

Yvette

Hi yvette18 they send the letters out to show the IC if you complain that they have kept you informed and have not simply ignored the request, wait the 40 days and if they are not with you shout back here and we can deal with it then, spend some time whilst waiting reading up the faq's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I got my copy statements through today! I was going to send off a non-compliance letter tonight as the 40 days were up last Friday.

I had a quick scan and have to say I felt quite shocked at the amount of charges that were levied! I didn't realise it was that bad.

I'll post again when I send off my next letter asking for it back.

Yvette

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've only just completed my spreadsheet and prelim letter, I've been a little under the weather lately! :(

I am going to get it off in recorded delivery post tomorrow.

Here's hoping it will go as smooth as it can?:grin:

Yvette

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've received a response to my prelim letter, telling me they were investigating.

Now I've received the letter telling me about the banks standard terms and conditions and that my relationship with the bank was governed by these terms and conditions.

In a nutshell, they are not going to refund my charges!

I will now send in my LBA and await their response to that.

Yvette

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I have followed all of the steps for reclaiming, my LBA was sent recorded delivery and signed for on 18th June 2007. I make that 19 days ago.

I haven't heard a word from them, by post or phone.

Now I need reassurance, should I just go ahead and start my court claim? I've been through this with Smile and Alliance & Leicester and won, but Yorkshire Bank make me nervous after reading through other people's threads and what I've seen in the media.

I'm greatful for all advice

Thanks

Yvette

Just to reassure you, I have just won for my son, i was surprised how quick they offered to pay up really. Filed on MCOL 30-05-07 got offer of £200 07-06-07 , rejected the offer received offer of full charges sometime this week(just come back from holiday) and court costs.

Good luck with yours.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received a "Notice of Transfer of Proceedings" to my local county court.

It says that the filing of an Allocation Questionnaire is dispensed with unless the District judge at my court orders otherwise.

There is another note:-

"Any party affected by this order may under rule 3.3(5) apply to have it set aside, varied or stayed. Such a party must apply under rule 23.3 within 14 days of service of this order."

Is this note referring to the dispensation of the AQ?

Any advice and words of wisdom greatfully accepted here! I'm really nervous about this claim.

Yvette

Hi Yvette all standard stuff so far, have you had a look at the court bundle yet as YB will leave it late to settle you may be required to appear at court, this is usually where they settle cases unless they get a stay due to the test case but prepair for court and we will cross any bridges that come our way.

Dont be nervous because you have done NOTHING wrong you are simply taking a BANK to court for taking your money.:eek:

It is natural to be a little nervous but try to read up some threads that have been through the court stages as this will reassure you.

Keep in touch with any updates.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi,

My case is now transferred to my local court.

Do I wait for a court date? or Can I put together my bundle as soon as possible and send it to YB and the court before I hear anything?

YB have until 15th August to apply for it to be stayed.

Yvette

I think they can apply to stay the case at any time.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi,

I got two letters in the post today.

One from my local court telling about the transfer and the dispensation of the Allocation Questionnaire, but also told me I have to pay £100.00 AQ fee by the 15/8/07 or my case will be struck out!

The other one from Yorkshire Bank. I have a feeling a lot of these letters have been received by claimants, I've just read on JunkiMunki's thread that he got one today too! Dated 31/7/07 telling us that they will shortly be applying for the court to put a stay on the claim until the outcome of the test case.

How can I fight them putting a stay on the claim? Anyone know?

Thanks

Yvette

Did the letter say WITHOUT PREJUDICE on it? If not I suggest that you send a copy of it to the court attached to this document. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/17065-application-removal-stay-updated.html#post131900

Just put a brief covering letter saying that in light of this letter you have received, you'd like the judge to know that you wish to object to any application for a stay.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Caro, the letter doesn't say "without prejudice". I am just copying the letter for application for removal of stay as you have advised.

I have a couple of questions:-

As my account with YB was closed 3 years ago should I leave out the last paragraph "In the alternative"? as it will not apply to me?

I need to attend the court before the 15th August to pay my £100.00 AQ fee even though it has been dispensed with. Should I hand this letter in at the same time or put it in the post? Who should I address it to?

Sorry, a lot of questions I know:)

Yvette