• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

madhouse5 v barclays***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent letter requesting charges back of £1260 on 25th January 2007 got a letter back within a week. Standard letter saying sorry your not happy with service etc etc, saying they would respond by 26th February 2007. Their 14 days were up last friday so sent letter saying they've got 7 days or I'll take them to court. Sent by recorded delivery post office said will be with them by 1pm today.

Fingers crossed they will respond soon.:p

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent letter requesting charges back of £1260 on 25th January 2007 got a letter back within a week. Standard letter saying sorry your not happy with service etc etc, saying they would respond by 26th February 2007. Their 14 days were up last friday so sent letter saying they've got 7 days or I'll take them to court. Sent by recorded delivery post office said will be with them by 1pm today.

Fingers crossed they will respond soon.:p

hi you really should have given them 14 days for the second letter as well, however you can always allow the extra week. Its best to stick to the step by step instryuctions these are linked in my signature.

thanks, i'll give them the extra time. I've just found this site, i got template letters from another site and used them, they say to give them 7 days.

It's all so confusing, i've read so much on this subject lately i don't whether i'm coming or going. Some of the info is conflicting.

thanks again

thanks, i'll give them the extra time. I've just found this site, i got template letters from another site and used them, they say to give them 7 days.

It's all so confusing, i've read so much on this subject lately i don't whether i'm coming or going. Some of the info is conflicting.

thanks again

Ok Livelylad's top tip..... Trust this site

THIS SITE IS:

a) the best

b) uses the tried and tested methods.

c) is copied by many, but never beaten.

d) is always willing to help.

e) is the leading cumsumer group.

i read through FAQ's very helpful.

i was just wondering because i only gave 7 days written notice will this make any difference when/if i get to court even though i'm giving them extra time.

Well i doubt that you would see the inside of a court.;)

However we do stick to the timetable just to be safe.

I've had yet another phone call today from barclays about my overdraft, how do i intend to pay it back, they have withdrawn my overdraft. I have told them I have requested my charges back, they asked what date. They said ok but should be aware that they may take action against me to recover the amount, I informed them when they return unfair charges this will more than cover the overdraft and I can then close the account.

I'm going to phone tomorrow offering to pay £10.00 a month as good will gesture also shows I'm willing to pay it back. Also will leave me more money spare when they do pay up.

Hi Madhouse,

Was the withdrawl of your overdraft a surprise? I don't know how to say this without being personal. I am worried because I am overdrawn by over £2000 and have heard of Barclays requesting their overdraft back once you ask for the bank charges refunded. If this happens to me I will be completely stuffed as I dont have £2000 to spare! Also if this happens no doubt it will go against my credit rating which is not the best as it is!

Any advice or suggestion would enlighten me and be much appreciated.

Teach57

Hi Teach57,

Withdrawl of overdraft was not really a surprise, basically got annoyed with barclays for all the charges and told them so on the phone. Told them i was removing all ingoing money ie child benefit, child tax credits (hubby's wages already going into FD account) months ago and i wanted to close the account, they said i couldn't do this until overdraft cleared but they did return account to basic so no more account fees. Just hoping barclays settle before hubby is made redundant end of may. Keeping fingers crossed.

How much are you claiming back from them? If it does not cover your overdraft then offer to pay it back at rate you can afford. Try setting up arrangement now if you can, it shows them your willing to pay it back.

Good luck

Had a letter this morning confirming what they told me on the phone yesterday, overdraft been withdrawn, want my debit card and cheque book back. Fine by me.

One thing does concern me, when I do win can I request payment by cheque or will they automatically pay it into my barclays account?

If they do later how do I get the money as I will have no card?

I got another letter today saying my account facilities have been cancelled, the next from them will be a Termination Notice. Termination Notice is legal notice demanding full repayment of the outstanding balance.

Also checked Royal Mail website they did indeed receive my LBA on the 13th February 2007. So 14 days is up begining of next week so I will file with MCOL on 28th February (when we get paid).

Bring it on barclay:p

I had a phone call from Barclays yesterday asking how I wish to pay back my overdraft, offered £10 a month was refused as it would not pay it off quickly enough, asked to increase offer said I was unable to as we have 5 kids to support and hubby is being made redundant soon.

They inform me will be senting a Termination Notice if I do not pay off quickly, told them as far as I was aware they could not take any action as my account is in dispute as I'm claiming charges back. I was asked details of this eg date's letters sent, amount claiming etc. Was then ok no more action will be taken on account until this matter is resolved.

This morning I get letter from Barclays TERMINATION NOTICE dated yesterday, saying they are within their rights to pass my account to debt recovery agencies and the banks intention to register details of the account with credit reference agencies.:eek:

Is this just scare tactics? I told them on the phone that I was filing MCOL on wednesday 28th Feb. I won't let them intimidate me I'm still filing on wednesday.

Keep on smiling they won't get to me:)

madhouse5

Have you spoken to them again about them terminating an account that is in dispute?

Seeing as the letter was sent out (prob before your phone convo with them) you may be able to get that suspended until after the court date?

Ring them again, but if you get no joy with them, speak direct with the Debt Collection Agency, who should be able to help also.

HTH

Peter

(also PM a mod for further clarification)

Sign my petition to the Prime Minister here:

PETITION

Thanks

Peter

!!!WON!!!

Pj, you are correct in saying they should cease actions where an account is in dispute but in mads own words

Told them i was removing all ingoing money ie child benefit, child tax credits (hubby's wages already going into FD account) months ago and i wanted to close the account,
They have basically said they have no intention of repaying the debt, which is prob why Barclays have taken this approach.

Obv if mad has the intention of paying off the debt with repaid charges etc then theres no worry about court action as the debt will be cleared before they have chane to recommence legal action [hopefully]

Mad.... doesnt really pay to pee them off, wait til you get your cash.THEN DO IT ..LOL

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

They have basically said they have no intention of repaying the debt, which is prob why Barclays have taken this approach.

dar3n,

I have offered to pay them £10.00 a month but they refused. I know not much but that's all we can afford at moment, my hubby had head-on car crash 18 months ago lost his job as a result because of injuries, got a new 3 weeks later and is now being made redundant again. Very tight budget especially as we have 5 kids.

dar3n,

I have offered to pay them £10.00 a month but they refused. I know not much but that's all we can afford at moment, my hubby had head-on car crash 18 months ago lost his job as a result because of injuries, got a new 3 weeks later and is now being made redundant again. Very tight budget especially as we have 5 kids.

hang on maddy, Im not having a dig at you, I realise you have offered a payment program, I was on about your answer to THEM which they took as being an act of aggression. Im totally on your side, I would do exactly the same, if the DEMAND money, they can sing for it..

Please dont think I was having a go at you... not at all

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

dar3n,

Sorry, I didn't think you having a dig at me, our whole situation at moment is getting us down, seem to be going round in circles with barclays. Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing, if you know what I mean.

Should I phone or write to decline offer? Which way is best for court MCOL or N1 at local court?

madhouse5

i would write to decline the offer and keep a copy for your bundle.

it's up to you about MCOL or N1 , whichever is easier.

this is what i hate about the banks , they are like vultures picking on vulnerable people like yourselves.i really feel for you and others in the same situation cos we have been there before but we are lucky in that we are both in steady fairly well paid jobs and only (i say ONLY) two kids , but like most people we have a large mortgage and overdraft.

i hope you get your money soon and treat you and your family to something special.

good luck , keep posting for advice and try not to worry to much , you will get there in the end.:)