Worried about claiming

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all and what a great site!

I have 3 bank accounts with the Halifax but my main used account is a joint account and overdrawn by £850

I have had a fair few bank charges with this account that i think will total approx £350ish. But we are worried about claiming incase they close our account and request the overdraft back in full or even worse wait until our wages go in therefore leaving our account in credit then take our overdraft facility away. If this was to happen then mortgage etc would be a real and more than likely impossible task.

Are the banks allowed to do this and more to the point would they do this? I also have a credit card with the halifax but have never been charged but could they demand payment for that if i proceed to claim?

I have read many articles about this closure and if it did happen to complain to the ombudsmen but that wont help my bills at the time.

Any advice you can give would be very grateful.

Thanks again

Hiya Fishmilk,

Welcome to the site.

It is very unusual for the bank to close the accounts. They tend to do this when multiple claims are made against 1 account.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

It is always worth considering opening up a 'parachute account' elsewhere unless you feel a need to stay with the Halifax. That way if they decide to close your account they will not be able to get their grubby little hands on your wages for a start. As far as I am aware WHEN THEY SETTLE they will be allowed by law to retain whatever you win as this may be more than you are owed. However, being in this situation with a credit card myself, I have taken the view that it reduces my debts which is still empowering. Hope this helps and good luck. Sally

Well here goes i have done the SAR request from your templates and filled in details for 2 of my accounts, i haven't bothered with a 'parachute' account as we are also happy with the money they owe gcoming off our overdraft then hopefully we can get rid of it completely!

Thanks for all your help so far, i will be honest im pretty damn scared but i suppose they want ya to be like this dont they!

oh, what is the best address to send this to at the halifax and do i need to make the cheque payable to?

thanks again

Hi there rec my s/ments from halifax today, requested for 2 accounts only sent one which is £3,086 should i ring them or is there another letter in the library i should send, also about to send my prelim bit concerned about interest at this point, i have calculated charges on spread sheet and deleted interest colum at this time is this correct.

regards giggles

halifax plc

trinity road

hx1 2rg

This is the address you should use.

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 3 weeks later...

Cheque for the statement request just gone out my account! Does it matter if for the majority of the time our account is overdrawn? we always stay in our limit but is only in credit when we get paid each month!

Right, this morning the statements have arrived, no covering letter or anything, just the statements.

I have worked out all the charges on my account so what is my next step i need to take? I really dont want to mess this up sorry for asking so many questions!

Go to the general forum 'step-by-step' instructions. All the information you need will be there. A lot of people are going for compound interest but IMHO this is a bit too complicated for most people just starting out. Hope this dosn't sound patronising 'cos there certainly are a lot of really knowledgable people out there but this is primarily a self-help group and the primary objective for all of us is to get our bank charges back. Any interest on top is the icing on the cake. Just do lots of reading, decide on your next step and then ask if you have any queries. You are on the way now. Sally:)

Thanks.

I have looked at the 'interest back' option and to be honest dont really understand as in the spreadsheat it has options like ' unpaid direct debit' and other scenarios and i just cannot remember what or why the charges would incur so would sooner just claim the basic charges at least i understan them!!!

Anyone got a basic template letter for the charges less interest?

thanks again for all your help

this site is ace!!!!!!!!!!

Hello to all and what a great site!

I have 3 bank accounts with the Halifax but my main used account is a joint account and overdrawn by £850

I have had a fair few bank charges with this account that i think will total approx £350ish. But we are worried about claiming incase they close our account and request the overdraft back in full or even worse wait until our wages go in therefore leaving our account in credit then take our overdraft facility away. If this was to happen then mortgage etc would be a real and more than likely impossible task.

Are the banks allowed to do this and more to the point would they do this? I also have a credit card with the halifax but have never been charged but could they demand payment for that if i proceed to claim?

I have read many articles about this closure and if it did happen to complain to the ombudsmen but that wont help my bills at the time.

Any advice you can give would be very grateful.

Thanks again

Hate to put a downer on you, but we lived in our overdraft of £500 and after recieving our prelim letter asking for £623 the bank withdrew our overdraft with just 24hours notice. We had to desperately beg relatives and friends to lend us the money asap which they kindly did. Then the bank retained my card even though I was in credit! They said it was an error and sent a new one but the customer service lady had already made a blip by telling me that head office had ordered it, so clearly not a mistake! Just be prepared.

Karen :oops:

05/01/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) posted

07/03/07 Offer made of £457. Rejected. Offer remade of £651, accepted.

26/03/07 PAID IN FULL

Your Site Needs You!

and we need this site!

Please don't forget to make a donation!

But its not always the case.

I live in my overdraft. And i have just got my new cheque book and card through. :D

F&Q's... Read here

I also had my overdraft withdrawn on Friday. And they had already taken my cheque book off me previous to that. Just be careful and expect it to happen. Bonus if it doesn't.

• Haha 1

12-03-07 Halifax Received £1800

05-06-07 Halifax II Small Claim Served for £2503

Capital One - Won £768

Halifax Credit Card - Won £756

they need to be careful though, they can't take "retaliatory action" against you for making a claim

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

22/08/06 - Preliminary Letter sent requesting full repayment of charges

06/09/06 - LBA sent to bank

thanks again for your replies, im now well worried about actually claiming them back if they do remove our overdraft then i wont be able to pay any bills at all leaving me in a right mess! jeez i was dead set to claim too! doubt i will now! :(

can't you open up an account with another bank before you start your claim?

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

p.s. just shout if you need a hand with the spreadsheets. It isn't anywhere near as daunting as it may first appear, and if the charges go back a little while it might amount to a fair bit.

Brad v Halifax

I do have another bank account anyway it just if they take my overdraft away on the account im claiming on its a lot of money to have to pay back isn't it especially if they wait til im in credit then take it away from me!

Do what I do...I just took ALL the money I could out of the account right up to the overdraft to stop them doing that. I then redirected wages to another basic account. They haven't mentioned taking away any facilities and I'm nearly always overdrawn! I'm in the black for about 5 days after payday then that's it! As long as you're prepared, you'll be ok. SOME people have even started pointing out in their Prelims etc that such retaliatory actions are severely frowned upon and mention A+L as a case in point?

You can try to get overdraft limit on your second account (but only if it is in other bank!) by stating that you want to switch accounts but you need that overdraft facility. After you will get it, transfer wages and you will be :D, wouldn't you?

I did exactly that and after Halifax closed my account in January I was really delighted and congratulated to my self that I did it.

If your second account is not in another bank open one elsewhere! Of course with overdraft facility :p

If I helped you click on my scales (on the bottom on right hand site). Thanks

July 2006 - DPA sent - never got reply

September 2006 - First letter sent, got offer for half of charges, Thanks but no thanks reply with LBA sent in October 2006

January 2007 - filed Small Claim on-line

after some mix-ups on 14 February 2007 Small Claim pack served to Halifax

they have 6 weeks (Claim from NI take longer) until 28 March 2007 to respond

See my thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/71700-kecimot-against-halifax-learn.html

Direct contact for Halifax

Matthew Ingham

Team Leader - Regulated Sales

Customer Relations - Halifax

HBOS Plc

CB/2/CR/26527

Direct Dial: 01422 326 527

[email protected]

Ok decided to open another account beore doing our spreadsheet, but wont halifax be angry that we have left them whilst being 800 quid overdrawn!? can anyone suggest any good accounts? i have seen a decent alliance and leicester account via motley fool but dont know whats best if any

thanks again all for ya help

i'd imagine they won't be ecstatic, but don't forget that the money you're claiming back will offset some of the overdraft, then if you're getting an overdraft from your new bank you should be able to pay the balance?

Brad v Halifax

See if martin Lewis is suggesting any good sites. I found CAG via listening to him on radio 2 and look how good that advice turned out for thousands of us. Well done for taking such a brave decision. You had me a little worried for a few minutes. NOW you are taking control. Above advice sounds good to me. Sally