• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

EssJayDee vs Halifax ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also forgot to say that i have opened another account with Lloyds. Did it all over the phone within about 10 mins, just gotta pop down to the branch once i receive the letter through from them. All very painless!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok had an initial add up of the amount and its in the region of £800. quite a bit more than i had expected!

Just one question... i do add on the interest that they've charged me each month dont i?? The interest i'm charged for going into/over my overdraught?

Thanks!

The only part of that interest you can claim for is the proportion that was caused entirely by the unlawful charges imposed.

This can be very tricky depending upon how your statements are recorded, my Halifax ones do not separate these figures so I didn't bother chasing it.

There's a much bigger interest calculation if it reaches court though...!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Ok i see, so without the interest it goes down to £530.

So from what you have said each months interest charge will be partly a standard charge for having the over draught and then some extra from going over the over draught limit?

Maybe not over the limit, although it may be.

Basically, if a charge has been imposed, and this takes you into overdraft, then the ineterst charged for being overdrawn would be entirely due to the unlawful charge.

Typically though it would also be made up of lawful interest simply because you had gone overdrawn. It can be quite tricky and is usually only worth a small amount.

IF your claim goes to court, you claim 8% on each charge imposed, from the date incurred - this is much more fun!!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Ok sorry to be annoying but i am really confused again now, just got the spreadsheet to total up all the charges and there are also columns for 'interest date... interest charged.... interest on penalites', and it appears that the totals calculated are a percentage of the original interest charged by the bank. (ie 2.19 interest = 0.30 interest on penalties)

I am confused as to whether i now add this to my charge total, or as previously advised i dont add anything to do with the interest ive been charged!?

Sorry 2 be a pain! :)

This might not be a perfect description, but the spreadsheet (by Vamps) attempts to show the amount of interest that would not have been made if you had never received charges, by working out your account balance to reflect this.

It then might produce an amount of interest that it considers to have been levied unlawfully.

You are best reading the guide notes in the file, and the thread linked at the beginning.

It is you best bet for working things out quickly... The (overdraft) interest is reclaimable from the start, the 8% interest on each charge id different and not made until court.

wow that is amazing

they do not know when to stop do they!

any one got any contact details for the halifax

i really want to speak to someone to let them know there is only 10 days left of th 40 to send me a list.

Ok, have now been issued a letter saying i will get a default notice if i dont pay the outstanding amounts blah blah blah... thing is even if i do pay that back they still keep charging me more anyway!

Have managed to agree to pay back £10 a month for the next 2 months which is pretty good.

Also sent off the telephone harassment letter to them, thanks very much for that, sent a copy to trinity road, and one to my branch manager - who i still havent had a response from since i sent him a letter over a week ago.

One final question before i send my LBA off to them. Ok so the charges amount is £597.00.... and i have worked out the interest amount to be £79.04, i know this is just going to be an approximation because of the spreadsheet, but should i add this on as well, as it shows i have attempted to work out the interest amount.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the continued questions!

EDIT: ok after all that i was directed to another thread which said the only real way to work the interest out is to speak to the bank and ask what interest they were applying to the overdraught, then to work this out against the extras they charged on top of that etc, which is going to be complicated and time consuming, so i guess its best to leave it!

• 2 weeks later...

ok, update on how things are going.... received a letter back on the 9th june, saying how they didnt agree that the default fees were unlawful etc etc, and that they were reducing the cost of credit card charges (why they told me i dont know, seeing as my claim is nothing to do with a credit card).

they offered me the huge sum of £25 as a payment...

will be doing the lba today and posting asap.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok the 14days has come and gone after sending the LBA off, just need a small amount of help on the money claim website....

Firstly is this correct for the particulars of claim...

"I am claiming the return of money taken by

the defendant in the way of charges over

the last 3 years plus the interest they

have levied on those charges. The bank's

charges are a disproportionate penalty and

therefore unenforceable as they are

contrary to common law. Further, as a

disproportionate penalty they are invalid

under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977

s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer

Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2

(1)(e). In the event that the charges are

not a penalty then they are unreasonable

within the meaning of the Supply of Goods

and Services Act 1982 s.15.

I have repeatedly asked the bank to justify

their charges but they have declined to do

so.

I will also be claiming 8% interest on the

charges which is pursuant to s.69 of the

County Courts Act 1984. The charges are

£597.00, which with interest of 8% added

equals £653.70."

Also it says 'Does or will your claim include any issues under the Human Rights Act 1998?'... i assume this is no?!

Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi essjaydee - guidance notes for the moneyclaim form - you tick No for the Human Rights question. Not long now...! :)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

I will also be claiming 8% interest on the

charges which is pursuant to s.69 of the

County Courts Act 1984. The charges are

£597.00, which with interest of 8% added

equals £653.70.

This part is wrong. If you tick the box on moneyclaim saying you wish to claim interest it gives you the wording to be used - it is important you use this exact wording.

Human rights = no

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

ok, the piece of text they give me has confused me a bit....

'The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from {date when the money became owed to you} to {the date you are issuing the claim} of £ {put the amount} and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of {enter the daily rate of interest}'.

Not sure what i need to fill in for the bits in brackets? i assume first is the date i am claiming from (in my case it is 3 years ago) up until the present date i guess?? then the amount - is this the total including the 8%?? lastly what is the daily rate of interest??

thanks!

Dates - date of fist charge and date of submitting claim.

Amount - amount of interest only.

For the daily rate of interest you need to take you total claim amount, excluding court costs and interest, and multiply it by 0.00022

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

ok, the piece of text they give me has confused me a bit....

'The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from {date when the money became owed to you} to {the date you are issuing the claim} of £ {put the amount} and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of {enter the daily rate of interest}'.

Not sure what i need to fill in for the bits in brackets? i assume first is the date i am claiming from (in my case it is 3 years ago) up until the present date i guess?? then the amount - is this the total including the 8%?? lastly what is the daily rate of interest??

thanks!

I am just filling in my moneyclaim form and became stuck on this bit also. I was assuming that that the amount shown in this bit was the 'interest only' portion as this paragraph relates to the interest added bit??

the daily interest also?? using this calculation on my amount to claim of £831.00 (minus interest/court costs) works out a 0.18, does this mean I can claim 18p per day interest until the claim is settled??

sorry to seem a bit 'thick' but dont want to get the claim form incorrect.

thanks for your help

Joanne

14/06/06 Data Protection Act Sent to SPML

28/06/06 - Info / statements received from SPML

2/8/06 Pre Lim to SPML for £324.72

16/8/06 LBA to SPML

28/9/06 filed MCOL

defence filing date extended to 22/12/06

28/12/06 copy of defence received from sch

16/01/07 AQ filed with court

Dates - date of fist charge and date of submitting claim.

Amount - amount of interest only.

For the daily rate of interest you need to take you total claim amount, excluding court costs and interest, and multiply it by 0.00022

thanks, think we must have got our posts crossed - as I was trying to get my head round it!

14/06/06 Data Protection Act Sent to SPML

28/06/06 - Info / statements received from SPML

2/8/06 Pre Lim to SPML for £324.72

16/8/06 LBA to SPML

28/9/06 filed MCOL

defence filing date extended to 22/12/06

28/12/06 copy of defence received from sch

16/01/07 AQ filed with court

Best of luck

Claim has been issued now, something has confused me slightly.... on the pdf form on the money claim website that shows all the information i had to enter in, it gives the court address as Northampton, is this likely to be correct seeing as i live nowhere near that whatsoever!?!

Moneyclaim is based in Northampton.

If it reaches a court hearing it will be transferred to your local court.

• Confused 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks