Jeep v Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Starting on the DPA stage today. Estimate so far on joint account is £3K not including interest that would have been charged with 11 statements missing, and a few hundred on the wife's account as well. Will keep you informed as it goes. Preliminary letter sent before I found this site still hasn't been answered after 7 working days - not unusual. I intend to go back more than 6 years as I've found some anomalies in 1999 where an unauthorised OD charge was taken in several months, but the account balance on the statement never exceeded the OD limit on any day in the month.

Cheers.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Quick question - is there some form of 'cease and desist' letter that can be sent to stop them from taking any futher charges in future?

Cheers.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Hi again,

Just worked through all my wife's account statements going back to when it opened and found a bigger total than first expected - £1500. As I have all the data this one is going straight to the Prelim letter - recorded delivery tomorrow.

Cheers.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Quick question - is there some form of 'cease and desist' letter that can be sent to stop them from taking any futher charges in future?

Cheers.

at the end of the day if they want to carry on charging u more - go ahead and let them - its just more money you can claim back off them anyway!

Standard complaints letter received today. Will be sending LBA a week on Monday on the wife's account.

Noticed that the letter states (in reference to the DPA letter on the joint account):

I confirm I have today ordered bank statements to cover the last 6 years as requested for your account, we have not charged you for this service.

In my letter I asked for all statements since the account was opened (much further back than 6 years). Can they ignore that request?

Q to mods - should I run these two accounts in separate threads?

Cheers.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Prelim letter with estimated charges sent on main account. Decided not to wait on DPA request being fulfilled and to get a request for repayment registered before the end of the month.

LBA sent on wife's account to arrive on Monday.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Big pile of statements arrived this morning - over 20 envelopes 2nd Class with 6 years worth of statements. I asked for the full history back to when the account opened, but no mention of that from them so far. Identified a couple of hundred more in charges due to missing statements when calculating my estimate, so I'm up to around £3.5K. I'll just have to estimate the previous charges and add it to the total.

I should get myself some shares in Royal Mail - RM profits must be set to shoot through the roof with all the extra postage plus recorded / special delivery charges that our actions are adding to their turnover! :-D

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Had calls today from Customer Relations. All very polite and business-like. Offered £300 on £1.5K charges and nothing on £3.5K charges. Excuse on the second lot was that I had accepted a part refund of charges some months ago where I had queried specific charges. I'm not stopping at that though and will press ahead with MoneyClaims once confirmation letters received.

Looks like there will be a couple of donations coming your way soon!

Jeep (The Wife & I)

• 2 weeks later...

Both MoneyClaims filed today (needed to get a payment together first :(), so they've had a couple of days extra time. I'll notify BF when I get the claim numbers through.

Had a call today asking when I'd be paying off my overdraft (all charges), so I told them "When you refund my charges". First parachute account ready for my wife to be paid into in her new job next month, just need to sort one out for myself.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Not found this anywhere, I may have missed it though - I filed my claims on Form N1s and I have the claim numbers. Is there a way to see the current status of the claims online? I couldn't find a link on the HMCS site.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Still no sign of the refund, and don't know how to check status of claim (Form N1). Starting on the wife's credit card next.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Good luck!
Cheers - you too! ;-)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

My claim on the joint account has been (mostly) settled today! Still awaiting fees and interest, so I won't do anything yet. The wife's had an offer, but we want to see how it is made up before accepting anything, so should be paid next week one way or the other! :D

Once we have the full settlements sorted I'll update the court, do the survey and DONATE! ;-)

I feel like making the sounds that Meg Ryan did in the diner in "When Harry met Sally" - even though I'm male!! :p

Jeep (The Wife & I)

well done son! i know you were nervous and ting but you saw it through..
Not so much nervous - just at the end of my money and with arrears to pay off everywhere that built up during the wait and a deluge of phone calls chasing them up each day! At least with the what's in the bank so far I have started to pay them off and hopefully look forward to some peace and quiet!!! :-D

If you knew my age you probably wouldn't call me 'son'! ;)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Received notification that they intend to defend today on both claims.

Have now received the full amount (including costs & interest) on joint account claim, credited to the account. Survey filled in, donation funds put to one side awaiting alternate to PayPal, PM'd BF on settlement.

Final step is to inform court, but there's nothing on the court forms I got that allows me to notify them that the claim is settled. I filed with Form N1 - what do I need to do to close the action now?

By the way, the settlement was for charges going back 7 years (that's all I had statements for). No questions asked, settled in full as claimed. Got to start again now to get back £300+ charged since claim was filed - I asked today if they would remove the charges, but I still have to go through the motions to get them back!

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Congratulations....

You can just write to the court and inform them that the case is settled. It doesn't have to be too formal, just claim reference number and "Please accept this as notification that I wish to withdraw my claim on the basis that the defendant has made payment in full" - that sort of thing.

One small point - did they include daily interest from the date of claim until yesterday?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

...Seven years ? That's very interesting...

We no longer have the 6 years as a request under the DPA. However, there is still the possibility that a bank may only hold 6 years worth of data (as required by law).

I doubt that is the case and would have though they will have records of your account history in full - proving it may be more tricky :)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Seven years ? That's very interesting.... :o

Well done :D

Strangely enough, the wife's claim is being negotiated as they won't accept more than 6 years on that claim (I did go back to the mid 90's though)! :confused:

Jeep (The Wife & I)

I have asked this on my thread but I wonder if I should ask for the charges further back because - they notified ME last november of 83 charges when I challenged them as disproportionate so I can only assume they have looked those up (not manually) but I have sent my request as of June 2000? Also had plenty of charges prior to that which I challenged with the basic premis of knock on effect blah blah but got nowhere.:confused:

I will be interested to see how many charges show up when I get my list of transactions and charges.:)

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

I have asked this on my thread but I wonder if I should ask for the charges further back because - they notified ME last november of 83 charges when I challenged them as disproportionate so I can only assume they have looked those up (not manually) but I have sent my request as of June 2000? Also had plenty of charges prior to that which I challenged with the basic premis of knock on effect blah blah but got nowhere.:confused:

I will be interested to see how many charges show up when I get my list of transactions and charges.:)

Hi Maybelline - I had original statements going back to early 1999 which I used to assess my charges. There were probably more on statements prior to that point that I didn't have as the account was started in the mid 90's, but I never got the data for that period from my DPA request (which I used mainly to fill in the gaps where I had statements missing).

On my wife's account we already had all statements back to the date of opening in the early 90's so I just put the whole lot into the spreadsheet.

I'm not fully convinced of the limitation on claiming back charges over 6 years old, which is why I gave it a try. I know there is the 'statute barred' argument, but that only normally comes into play when a debt has had no further transactions for 6 years, whereas I see this as an ongoing breach from the date of the first charge and still going on now (another £342 so far to reclaim on the joint account since the moneyclaim was filed)! But remember, I am not a lawyer, so don't trust what I say too much!! ;)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Thanks the wife and I, I wasn't sure about the six years in light of the fact that they appeared to have the info from yesteryear. As to whether there is sufficient room for me to realistically chase it all up is something I cannot determine but will do some home work. It certainly all started snowballing as a result of the charges in the first place.

good luck:)

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks