• Tweets

• Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
    • That's a shame but not unexpected.  I'm not sure about your assumed  questions because I haven't been to court but I'm not sure about not accepting a criminal record. It could be a language thing but it isn't your choice unfortunately.  HB
    • Have you previously requested the agreement by a CCA request ?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

ICY -v- Abbey

ICY
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not impressed, just received the following letter this morning

Dear Mr Cross

RE: XXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting us and i am sorry that you have been so unhappy that you have felt you must complain.

FFS IT WASNT A COMPLAINT!!!!

One of my team will be responsible for investigating your complaint COMPLAINT????? and I have enclosed our complaints leaflet,WHY which explains our procedure for doing this. High quality customer service is of great importance to us at Abbey and we will do everything we can to resolve your complaint COMPLAINT????? in a timely and satisfactory manner. WELL TRY READING THE BLOODY LETTER I SENT YOU THEN

I know it is important to you that we resolve your complaint quickly COMPLAINT????? but we want to complete a thorough investigation and sometimes this can take time. If we have not contacted you before then, we will write to you in four weeks I THINK NOT to let you know what is happening.

If you have employed someone to handle your complaint COMPLAINT????? on your behalf, please note: employing a third party complaint-handling firm A WHAT, YOU MEAN A CHARGE RECOVERY TEAM or a solicitor, or financial advisor does not affect how we review your complaint. Please be aware that

Abbey does not charge you to investigate your complaint I AM SURPRISED

Abbey will not be liable for any costs incurred if you do decide to employ a third party to handle your complaint during this reveiw

Abbey in general, will only make payment directly to the account holder if your complaint is upheld and redress is due PARTIAL ADMITION THEY WILL PROB BE PAYING OUT????

Although i do not know what the outcome will be,THATS ODD BECAUSE I DO LOL i do hope that we will be able to find a solution that you are happy with. YES GIVING ME BACK MY MONEY WILL MAKE ME HAPPY

Yours sincerely

Computer generated signature

Andrew Nanson

Business Manager

enc. Complaints leaflet

:madgrin:

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Events so far

2003 - present Abbey took £1677 in unlawful charges from myself

22nd March 2007 Initial letter sent to Abbey via recorded delivery

23rd March 2007 Royal Mail confirm delivery of letter

28th March 2007 receive standard letter from Andrew Nanson dated 27th

5th April 2007 LBA is to be sent

To be continued

just realised i will be sending LBA off 5th April unless they settle before then which i hold out no hope for, this is not working days for the 14 day period is it, as not only are there weekends but also 2 bank holidays which are in this period threfore there will only be 8 working days

And while im at it, why should it be a BANK holiday, they are lazy enough without having holidays in their name lol

ICY....The letter you got from ABBEY with our own comments added.... :D :D :D Pure Class:D :D :D gave me a real chuckle!!

I aim to please LOL

The in laws to be are wanting me to sort their claims out now, m-i-l has 11 accounts with a massive amount of charges on them, f-i-l has 1 account with quite a large number of charges.

Each day and every day ICY. They get it on the 6th so your claim goes in on the 21st.:cool:

So to get this right do i start counting from the day royal mail acknowledge delivery, is that correct ?

damn it, was just looking at my online account, with a view to reducing my overdraft, it says i can only amend in multiples of £50, i only had £20 which i can afford to put towards it at the mo, would they reduce it by lesser amounts over the phone?

The OD is for £950 so want to get it down and sorted as i am constantly living in the overdraft, now i have regular money coming in and havnt been over my OD for ages so hoping they wont pull the OD facility, but who knows, at least if i can reduce it a wee bit in the meantime, should they then ask further down the line for it all back at least the blow will be softer

• 2 weeks later...

well been away for a few days and missed my own deadline, still nothing from scabby, LBA goes off to them today recorded, they will receive it tomorow so, 25th April is the date i can start MCOL yes?

Yes, Icy, I think you have given them long enough to give you a refund!!!!!

All the Prelim & LBA letters are, are formalities, but you have to do them.

Get your claim in like you say on the 25th April. its another step towards getting your money back!!!!!

Phil:)

This is only my personal, honest opinion!

Thanks for clearing that Phil, i am gonna be having a busy run of it, i have 13 accounts to claim for, 2 of mine, 11 of mother in laws, and not sure yet how many of father in laws, think i am gonna change my occupation lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yesterday i had a call from Abbey, however i was driving so didnt answer it, bearing in mind that i have never once had a phone call, makes me wonder why all of a sudden they should call me, ... oh yeah thats it silly me, i am about to take them to court, i did clearly state in the letters i will only correspond by post or email.

Just checked my online banking, and the cheeky, {insert suitable comment here} have just credited my account one payment of £20 and one of £30, so out of a total of £1677, they are obviously offering me a grand total of £50 :shock:

Now that i find an insult, cant wait to start Mcol next thursday

Just received a photocopied letter this morning saying,

Thank you for your letter dated 21st March 2007 {your welcome now wheres my money} about the charges on your bank account. I have now carried out a full investigation on your behalf. {yes of course you have}

I'm sorry you are unhappy with the charges and i understand you would like these refunded. Although the charges were correct, as a guesture of goodwill, {why offer a refund at all if the charges are correct} I am happy to refund £100, which includes pending charges {my account hasnt incurred any charges sine oct 2006 } yet to be taken. Your account will be update within the naxt 10 working days. {something odd as they have credited £50 to my account}

I appreciate your feelings on this matter but we are satisfied that the charges do not contravene the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. We also comply with the Office of Fair Trading, in dealing fairly and openly with our customers. {so wheres the breakdown of the costs i requested if you deal openly with customers}

When opening your account you were provided with imformation detailing the terms and conditions. {Oh well that must make it lawful then} We have also sent you regular updates and Tariff of Charges, which details the amounts of our charges. I have enclosed a further copy for you. {Thanks just what i need, more rubbish for my bin}

You have requested a breakdown of how our charges are apportioned and I regret that I am unable to provide you with specific information that you have requested. {but you have allready said you deal fairly and openly hmmmm i am starting to think you are telling porkies somewhere}

I can inform you that our charges are based on the extra administrative work incurred by Abbey when, for example, an account has insufficient funds to meet a requested payment. {Proof please} Abbey believes that it is reasonable to make a charge on such an occasion to pass on the costs incurred by the bank and that these charges applied to the account are fair and transparent. {wheres the £%£$*%£ breakdown then you clowns fair and transparent my butt} Should you require details about specific charges applicable, these are stated in the terms and conditions of your account.

To avoid charges in the future, please ensure there is enough money in your account to cover direct debits and other payments made. I would also reccomend checking your balance regularly, through as abbey cash machine, online banking and through calling our Telephone ?Banking Centre on 08456 724724

Please be assured I have carried out a full investigation for you and I hope you feel I have offered a considered and complete response to all of the issues you've raised. I will keep your file open for the next 8 weeks and if I dont hear from you within that time, I will assume that everything is resolved and will close your file. If you remain dissatisfied though, the leaflet you'll find with this letter explains your rights and how to take your complaint further within Abbey. The address to contact is

Complaints

Abbey

PO Box 5129

Milton keynes

MK9 2YN

If you remain unhappy with the response from the complaints department, you have an ultimate right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Your Sincerely

Neil Flockton

Senior Customer Resolution Manager

ignore last question, i have just found the answer

sending this recorded today

Complaints

ABBEY

PO Box 5129

Milton Keynes

MK9 2YN

20th April 20, 2007

Re: Account number XXXXXXXX

RECORDED DELIVERY

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Mr Flockton

Thank you for your letter dated 16th April 2007

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, one final time, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totaling £1677 minus the £100 you have already offered to refund me, thus the final figure I require you to refund me is £1577.

In order to avoid Litigation against you, I am prepared to temporarily accept the sum offered as partial settlement on the clear understanding that the remainder is paid within the next 10 days. Failure to comply with this request will result in legal action against you for full recovery, as detailed in my Letter Before Action.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

Events so far

30th January 2007 Sent abbey authorisation to take the £10 fee from my account

10th April 2007 LBA sent

11th April 2007 LAB recieved by Abbey

18th April 2007 Account is crfedited with £50

20th April 2007 Received standard fob off from abbey offering £100 GOGW but only received £50

20th April 2007 Refusal of insulting settlement sent, gave them a final 10 days to respond with a full refund before court action.

23rd April 2007 Abbey receive refusal letter

25th April 2007 Received letter from Richard Harris stating one of his team will look into my complaint .... get back to me in 4 weeks, but they have allready carried out a full investigation according to there offer letter

26th April 2007 I received letter saying they acknowledge authority to debit the £10 fee only a mere 86 days after they received it. After going through the summary of charges they sent in this letter i found that a a charge which was shown on the summary wasnt on the copy statements they sent me a while ago

27th April 2007 I received letter signed by Richard Harris saying they are still investigating my complaint i raised 4 weeks ago (although they sent me a letter saying they had completed their investigations)

research taking longer .... will write in 4 weeks ..... sorry taking longer....your complaint is important to us

26th April 2007 sent Abbey letter with revised amount claimed following further charges just disclosed to me, and minus the £50 GOGW new claim amount £ 1662 + 8%

30th April 2007 MCOL claim to be submitted (allready completed just need to submit and pay the £120 fee

To be continued

Events so far

30th January 2007 Sent abbey authorisation to take the £10 fee from my account

10th April 2007 LBA sent

11th April 2007 LAB recieved by Abbey

18th April 2007 Account is crfedited with £50

20th April 2007 Received standard fob off from abbey offering £100 GOGW but only received £50

20th April 2007 Refusal of insulting settlement sent, gave them a final 10 days to respond with a full refund before court action.

23rd April 2007 Abbey receive refusal letter

25th April 2007 Received letter from Richard Harris stating one of his team will look into my complaint .... get back to me in 4 weeks, but they have allready carried out a full investigation according to there offer letter

26th April 2007 I received letter saying they acknowledge authority to debit the £10 fee only a mere 86 days after they received it. After going through the summary of charges they sent in this letter i found that a a charge which was shown on the summary wasnt on the copy statements they sent me a while ago

27th April 2007 I received letter signed by Richard Harris saying they are still investigating my complaint i raised 4 weeks ago (although they sent me a letter saying they had completed their investigations)

research taking longer .... will write in 4 weeks ..... sorry taking longer....your complaint is important to us

26th April 2007 sent Abbey letter with revised amount claimed following further charges just disclosed to me, and minus the £50 GOGW new claim amount £ 1662 + 8%

30th April 2007 MCOL claim submitted

No turning back now

Claim number spacer.gif - 7QZ62720

Status of claim - Requested

Looking good so far MCOL is now showing :

The following information relates to your claim:

spacer.gifClaim Description : ABBEY bank charges

spacer.gifClaim Number : 7QZ62720

Status of this Claim : Issued

Your claim request has been accepted. The Defendant has 14 days from the date they are served with the claim, to reply.

Thanks i get the feeling i am gonna need it, i really hope i dont have to go to court, of course i will if i have to