Hunkydory v A & L

hunkydory

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, I've heard it all now. Because my last wage packet was £3 less due to changes in Basic rate tax, I noticed over the bank holiday that I would go overdrawn by less that £2. Due to the bank holiday monday, I arranged for my dear old mum to wait on the doorstep of A & L & pay £5 into my account 1st thing tuesday morning. She was the 1st customer through the door. However, I have been wacked with a £25 unauthorised overdraft fee because despite paying in money to put me back within my overdraft limit, the b******* still charged me because their banking day "starts at Midnight". I was informed of this by some bolshy 'customer service' person (lol) who spoke to me as a cretin. Hence I have now fired off my prelim letter, by recorded mail (I have proof of delivery now) and am going into battle & claiming back £343 charges over the past 6 years. Wish me luck!

The postie has been and still no response from the A & L. The deadline of 14 days from prelim letter is the 19th May. Have typed letter before action in readiness for Friday.

I do need to get a parachute account set up. Any thoughts where to go??

There is some good news - my mum has offered and is prepared to close her A & L accounts if they don't refund or if they threaten to close my account. As she is retired and her accounts are all investment accounts which she has had for years with them, I wonder if they can afford to lose so much custom?

Hi all. I have received a response to my prelim letter within the 14 day deadline - quite surprised! It didn't offer a refund just said that they were sorry about my disappointment, thanked me for highlighting my concerns, they're looking into the situation & will be writing with a more detailed response. Letter signed by Lesley Darley - well actually it was PP'd on her behalf and there was no signature - charming!

Looking at other posts, there doesn't seem to be a consistent response by A & L as several people appear to have received a "get lost we're not paying" letter 1st. Don't know if quoting case law in my letter helped or the low amount (just under £400) I want refunded or perhaps using the letters behind my name when I wrote?? Who knows? But I am firing off my letter before action - I take it this is correct as they have failed to comply with the instructions in my prelim letter?

Also, I need to open a parachute account. Anyone got any ideas? I've been with A & L the best part of 30 years so would be grateful of any suggested alternatives.

Ta!

Hi Hunkydory,

Good luck with your claim.

Came to this forum as I was thinking of opening a parachute account with A & L, and thought I would see how they treated their customers.

I have been with Abbey for over 20 years and just get the normal pee off letters re refund of charges. I am also dealing with a claim from Nat West for my son, they are just as bad.

All the high street banks seem to be the same, can anyone recommend one??

I see from email from Martin Lewis the money expert that Trevor McDonald is doing a programme about these unfair charges, hope it gives the banks a nudge to re-pay and lower the rates!!

7th June mcol £30 + 276.00 + int17.37=£323.37 Abbey

Accepted £291 chq cleared 28th July

7th June mcol £120 + 1135.02 charges + 83.42 chq for £1438.44 paid to bank 2nd Aug

Thanks lipscombe - you in return have done me a favour as I had considered Natwest may be suitable for a parachute account! I hope you take on the Abbey & Nat West.

The Daily Mail ran an article last week and also yesterday re Bank charges so hopefully the message is getting across to the banking community and the Government that consumers aren't prepared to suffer in ignorance anymore and not question what the banks have been doing.

Anyone else suggest where to parachute to? Are the smaller building societies better?

• 2 weeks later...

We must all watch Trevor MacDonald on tv on the 5th June, he is covering this subject!!

7th June mcol £30 + 276.00 + int17.37=£323.37 Abbey

Accepted £291 chq cleared 28th July

7th June mcol £120 + 1135.02 charges + 83.42 chq for £1438.44 paid to bank 2nd Aug

Have now had a reply to my LBA -

..."Firstly there has been no consultation between the banking industry and the OFT abbout current accounts. If there is any industry wide consultation on this matter, Alliance & Leicester will participate as appropriate....Our records show that you have recently received two goodwill payments to your account. As all other charges have been applied to your account correctly, I am unable to consider your request on this occassion....I am sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with our service on this occasion and trust that we will meet your expectations in future. In accordance with regulatory requirements, I must advise you that if I do not hear from you within the next eight weeks are file on this issue will be closed and I am enclosing our leaflet explaining how to progress this matter, either through our internal procedures or, if necessary, via the Financial Ombudsman Service, should you remain dissatisfied."

I take it that's a no, then?!

Hubby doesn't want me to proceed to court and I have to admit that I am now feeling a bit apprehensive and anxious. I have already opened a parachute account but I guess I must take the plunge, if only to be able to give you a donation.

32 members have got back over £26,500 in total from A&L so far, and from the threads on here it would seem a lot of them had to do a Moneyclaim, but I believe A&L have paid up every time before going to court.

They won't make things too easy as they want people to give up. Obviously the choice is yours, but it seems a shame to give up now, and you will get yours costs back as well if you succeed.:cool:

GO FOR IT!!

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Well, I've spent this morning on Moneyclaim and as a result have now filed my claim. It feels a bit like a roller coaster - exciting but also rather scary. I have a parachute account all set up and ready to go and am waiting to see what unfolds. Thanks to everyone who has given advice so far. Once my claim is settled, I will be making a donation

• 3 weeks later...

Received letter with cheque for full amount yesterday. Account is obviously going to be closed - their letter hints at it but I will be closing my accounts with them this week anyway, as I want to take my business elsewhere. My mum is also closing all her savings accounts & withdrawing her investments to go elsewhere as she isn't happy with the way I've been treated!

I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to the BAG especially the moderators & everyone who has proffered advice. Needless to say, I'm off now to make my donation!

Well done and congratulations. The fight against unfair bank charges certainly seems to be picking up pace.

Don't forget the survey too.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

WELL DONE!! :-D looks like everything turned out hunky dory.

A&L Data Protection Act sent 8/6/2006 - Statements received 27/7 - Prelim request for payment sent 28/7 - LBA sent 8/8 - MCOL 21/8 - Settled in full £3317.66 20/9:lol:

MBNA Data Protection Act sent 8/8 - 14/9 Offer of £2,247.35 accepted. (£1,160 charges plus compound interest). Second account = offer of £1,182.30 (£436 charges plus compound interest) :lol:

Morgan Stanley Data Protection Act sent 8/8:) Total of £875 charges.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks