Where Do I Stand?

billynomates

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post & I am not sure whare I stand.

I am a mature student currently doing a 4 year degree at University, the degree enables you to either do a palcement for your 3rd year or you can go back and do your final year.

I looked into doth options as I have a wife & young child, appiled for all the usual grants, from the LEA etc. even rang the LEA and told them that I had been offered a placement and what my income would be, confirmed this in writing.

The company have asked me if I would consider completing my last year over a two year period and work for them on a part time basis with the oportunity to go full time when I get my degree, however I decided to ring the LEA and ask what my entitlement would be should I decide to choose this option.

The nice lady informed that, infact we have been looking at your application and actually you have been paid far too much this year and you will not be getting your next grant instalment, she went on to say thhat this was totally their fault and they would not be asking for any of the overpayment back. (I have this confirmed in an email) She also said that I could appeal should this cause any harship etc.

Where do I stand as a) I would have gone back & done my last year had I known that I would have not got as much funding, plus all my WFTC had been awarded accordingly, some grants they take into consideration and some they dont.

The LEA have left me in a mess as I obviously have budgeted for the year, and now they are telling me I am not getting any more funding/instalments because of their mistake.

Do they have a right to do this, just stop the payments??

Any help would be appreciated.

I would appeal on the basis that their error caused you this problem and also the knock on effect of benefits if i am reading the post correctly

Nattie,

Thanks for your reply, I do want to appeal, but I am concerned they would ask for all the overpayment back.

On the other hand, you are quite right all our Working Familes Tax Credits were adjusted accordingly, as some of the grants are taken into account i.e. you get less WFTC, therefore as they are just going to stop the grant payments, we not only lose out with the grant, but we also lose out on WFTC. I am fuming as we were very clear and thorough when we completed all the forms, and we even sent a letter in to the LEA confirming the placement and how much I would be earning etc.

It just makes me annoyed by the fact they can just stop the payments.

but that would then lead on to hardship by asking it back. I think the fact that what you have in one hand is then taken from the other is a good way to appeal. ie WFTC is lower. I don't think they can ask for it back because it was THEIR mistake. what line of work are you going into by the way?

Ok, I have sent an email to request the details on how to appeal, I will let you know how I get on.

I am on Bussiness Informations degree hoping to qualify as an Business Analysis, the company that I am doing my placement with, have offered me a permanant position, which is great. I was really pleased as the company have never taken on a student before, so I feel quite honored. What suprised me was I have only been on the placement since September and they offered me the position just before christmas.

My wife is also in the process of trying to become a Magistrate, she currently works and her employers have agreed to support her, and have no problems in her taking time off if she gets through the process stages.

The only reason I am doing a degree was I had to take my last company to the employment tribunal for constructive dismissal. Once that was over, I decided to go for a complete career change. LOL Its not been easy, especially trying to study when you have a wife and young son.

hi,

my brother and his girlfriend are students, with morgage and both have part time jobs. they get a hardship grant (i think thats what its called) have you applied for this? they live in scotland so i dont know if its diff where you live.

lofaprize

x

Sorry to hear about what's happened. I can't advise - but, congratulations for doing what you're doing, sticking with it right through and the offer of the permanent position. I really hope this works out for you and wish you every success in your new career.

(Also studying for a degree via the OU for a career change, aged 33!)