Can existing supplier stop me changing suppliers?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone, would be grateful for any advice on the following.

I am in the process of changing utility companies (for many things; phone, gas & electric etc). My existing gas & electricity supplier have written to me to tell me that as I have an outstinading bill with them they won't allow me to switch companies...is this correct? Can they do this?

I had an outstanding bill with BT when I switched (i.e. a bill up to the point that the switchover took place and they billed me and I paid it and that was that!)

Would be grateful if anyone knows whether I can do anything about this?

Thanks

Yes they can and but do not always. If your debt is more than 50 they have the right to keep you. and if balance is over 28 days.

If an objection is raised then a letter is sent to the customer advising them that they will need to make arrangements to pay the outstanding balance before they can leave .

Have just found out that if you own them over £50 then they will automatically object to you changing - I owe £300 to npower due to them setting the dd payments too low - they sent a statement dated 30th Jan, and yesterday morning I got a letter dated 13th Feb from Collections Direct - npower's DCA.

However, having spoken to EnergyWatch and then npower's complaints dept - it appears that as the debt is due to their error, complaints/cust serv would not object to me leaving - also paid £50 as GOGW.

Survivor :cool:

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

How about if the debt is with my ex wifeand she no longer lives at the address?

Will I still have to pay off her debt before changing suppliers?

"I am more than prepared to repay any money I have borrowed, IF they are prepared to refund any money THEIR agreement doesnt allow them to charge me." Tamadus

Thanks couldnt put it better myself :D

• 5 weeks later...

hi all, was reading this thread and seems i have the same problem, i have been a new tennant since december and have been trying to change gas and electric companies since then. because the last tennent has outstanding bills with them they wont let me change. i have wrote to them that many time, sent them copies of the new tennent agreement but nothing. now they are saying they will take me to court to get the money,even cut me off. can anyone help.

IT'S TIME FOR US LITTLE PEOPLE TO FIGHT BACK:)

Morning. Powergen Seem To Think I Owed Them Over A £1000 Once They Got Round To Sending Me A Bill 18mths After I Moved To My New Flat. So I Tried My Luck At Changing Supplier To Bg And Can Say Had Success.pg Then Sent Me A Final Bill Saying I Was In Credit And I Recieved A Cheque For The Full Refund.

Ladyhawk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I had dealings with N Power cos they would not let me go back to British Gas after moving house. I was being billed from British Gas and N Power after a long haul they actually admitted that they had billed me over £300 too much as I was being billed by B G at the same time. They wrote the £300 off needless to say!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, This goes back to July 2006 when we tried to switch from British Gas to EDF. Both British Gas and EDF wrote to us to say we had to pay our outstanding bill before we could go ahead with the switch, which we did and from 20th July 06 EDF had been our supplier until we moved this April. However, today, nearly 1 year on, my parents receive a letter from British Gas asking if they knew where they could get hold of us as we owe them money for our previous address.

• 6 years later...

Hi olivia. You just replied to a 6 year old thread that has long since resolved. Do you have an issue we can help you with?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D