• Tweets

• Yes, await the Directions Questionnaire from the court. No, the Directions Questionnaire is just a short form and leads to the case being transferred from MCOL/CCBC to your local court.  If you Google "Form N180" you can see a blank copy on government web pages.
    • There will only be one hearing (typo possibly 25th is a Saturday Courts closed ) clarify with the court.
    • Upload a redacted copy of their statement (+ Exhibits) please.
    • No Andy, I'll scan, redact and upload later today. So the court sent me 2 letters, same envelope and stapled together but with different dates!. 1. N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, stating: UPON considering the papers herein IT IS ORDERED THAT The claim is listed for an attended hearing 25 May....... at which court will consider allocation..  etc   2. N24 Notice of PTR/Adjnd/Restored/Hrg/Management conference TAKE NOTICE that the hearing will take place on 24 May at....... When you should attend 30 minutes has been allowed for the Hearing   No other instructions anywhere in the envelope or on the letters. Do I attend both?
    • Then leave it just proceed with the claim( strike out/SJ application are risky).....the defendant will not be permitted to rely on written evidence (documented) only verbally as they failed to comply with the N157 (unless they have filed with the court and failed to serve you a copy) ?  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Out of the frying pan .. ..***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6249 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Halifaxians!

This is my first post in the Halifax forum, though I've been a CAG member for many months. I originally joined so I could take up the fight against Barclays, who have been doing their best to make my life hell for decades.

One of the first things I did was open myself a "parachute account" at the Halifax - little did I realise just how much "eXtra" they really take when it comes to penalty charges. Having now strayed over my overdraft limit they're hitting me with charges left right and centre - the idiots are now actually charging me more in penalties than I have coming in!! That's not just unlawful, and grossly immoral, it's obscenely greedy and downright stupid. Do the actually think I'm going to let them get away with it?

Well, here goes. While I'm waiting for my court hearing date with Barclays I'm going to get started on collecting my figures for a Halifax claim.

Watch out Howard .. ..

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

Hiya.

Nice to see you, welcome to the anti haliprats..!:D

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks for the welcome sea-sidelady.:)

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Excuse me. I'm afraid I need to let off steam.

I've just had a phone call (at 8:45 on a Saturday morning - very guerilla warfare) from "Halifax Head Office Arreas".

Actually, I'm so livid I'm finding it difficult to sort out what to say.

Basically, they want me to immediately pay off the excess over my "agreed" overdraft limit, or they will cancel all my direct debits and take all my income for the next month until the excess is paid off. I'd then have to return my chequebook and card, and generally be treated like some naughty little school-boy - ALL BECAUSE OF THEIR PENALTY CHARGES!!

She even said she knows I'll get my fees refunded(!!!!!!!!) but it takes several weeks for that to happen ( .. and that's MY fault HOW???)

Are these people actually insane??

(gotta go - gotta have coffee - gotta take my anti-depressants)

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Hi victimnomore just read your last post.If I could swear here I would!The Halifax are b******s!I haven't heard anything like this before about the banks doing this.I must admit I cannot be as helpful to you { about this subject }as others on this site can be so am gonna bump.Goodluck.

Thanks for the support.

I've calmed down now (a bit anyway).

I've checked my account through online banking. I was hoping to cancel some standing orders and/or direct debits - but I can't! The idiots have gone and made my account "enquiry only" so I can't actually cancel or amend any payments .. how stupid is that?

I've also checked out the figures.

I'm currently £471.80 over my overdraft limit. Sounds as though I've gone a bit wild with my money doesn't it? But no. In LESS THAN A MONTH they've actually applied £460 of (unlawful) fees to my account. That leaves £11.80 I've "squandered". Just ELEVEN quid!!!!!!!!!

Time to write letters methinks .. oh yes, time to write letters.

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Hi victimnomore,

This is exactly how my other half got into so much of a state with Halifax - in one month (just before christmas 2004) they asked him to make a payment of £300, but he could only get £280 - so they put his account on hold and slapped another heap of charges on (if memory serves, about £275 worth of charges)- thus making the situation worse and placing the account in the hands of a debt collection agency. Now, over 2 years on, we have claimed the money back (£1600) but they have started phoning us again - in fact we had a call about 1/2 hour ago!

I will never advise anyone to bank with Halifax as long as I live - i have never heard of a bank treating people so badly.

Good luck with everything - sorry we can't offer any real advice.

Thanks for the support LinniLoo2006, It's nice to be among people who understand what these people are doing to their customers. Actually I had another call from them today - must have been about the same time as your call - about 13:10. It was a mistake, the guy apologised for duplicating yesterdays call and hung up, but not before he gave the "excuse" that it was an automated calling system. WHAT!! What on earth do these people think they're doing placing automated calls to their customers at lunchtime on Sundays?

But you're right about the level of charges. Barclays have taken thousands off me over the years, but I've been genuinely shocked at how viscious the Halifax charges have been.

Anyway, to action ..

I've just got back from posting a couple of letters. One was a complaint about all the matters arrising out of yesterday's phone call, demanding immediate release of my account, immediate repayment of the penalty charges, an apology and compensation. I expect it to achieve absolutely nothing. But it's made me feel better!! The other letter was a standard Prelim letter and schedule of charges, requesting £459 in charges together with contractual interest at 0.0715% per day (total £462.88).

Counting down to LBA .. ..

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

The guerilla war stupidity continues ..

The phone rang at 08:19 this morning! No response when I picked up the phone - just silence. 1471 revealed it to be 08708503492 which the excellent "SayNoTo0870" website tells me is HBOS debt collection.

The causes for complaint just keep piling up with these lunatics.

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Been there! Had to go to the bank and give them back my cheque book and bank cards. What a humiliating episode that was. In the middle of the bank, had the cheque book cut up, at their "Customer Service Desk" in full view of the result of the bank!! And all because of their excessive charges - very similar to your story. Have now worked out they have charged me just shy of £2000 in the last year. Makes me evil to think about it.

12-03-07 Halifax Received £1800

05-06-07 Halifax II Small Claim Served for £2503

Capital One - Won £768

Halifax Credit Card - Won £756

That is an utter disgrace - how do these people sleep at night, especially when, as you say, it was a result of their charges?! I think my other half felt humiliated when they told him he must close his account last week - it was a bit like opening up old wounds but I believe we have had the last laugh (as you will too Noodledoodle).

Best of luck Victimnomore - I have just been posted a link about telephone harrassment if you would like it (thanks Survivor!)

Linniloo,

Click the link:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/37006-harassment-telephone-response-letter.html

Should take you to a post by jonni2bad and contains a letter template for harrassment by telephone...

...Should be just what you're looking for

Survivor :cool:

Happy Monday evening everyone XX

Thanks Linniloo, that certainly looks good. I'll use it if they keep on doing this.

I've already reported this morning's silent call on the ofcom website.

Noodledoodle, you go for that £2000! I just KNOW you'll feel so good going after people who have treated you like that.

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

My wife's with the Halifax, she's waiting for her statements at the mo. to claim back charges. I just think all banks are greedy. A much fairer charge would be £5 or £10, not the huge fees they charge just for caling someone to say they cannot pay the direct debit.

A+L S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July. Statements rec'd 01 Sept. Letter requesting repayment of £4,979 sent 18/09 MCOL sent 15th Nov £6389.57. Cheque received £6425.54 4th Dec.:D

MBNA S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July, promised reply by 28th August. Cheque rec'd £250 31 Aug.:confused: . 2nd letter sent 7 sept for rest of charges to be returned. £243 rec'd 28th Oct:D

CCA sent 1st Credit 11th August, reply 15th Aug

Request for repayment Rooftop Mortgages for £1095, reply saying no on 17th Aug.

Still to come: Cap. One, Time retail, HFC Bank.

Well now, THAT'S been a very odd 24 hours ... ...

First off, yesterday afternoon I was feeling particularly angry and frustrated with THEM. Not just because of the money they've taken as such, but at the fact that they'd "restricted" my account - effectively locked me out from my own money. So I sent an email, using the addresses I found on this site, to customer relations with a copy to one of the big bosses. I told them that following my complaint I "required" them to de-restrict my account and that if they did not do so within 24 hours I would complain to the Banking Ombudsman (which I believe is quite expensive for the bank).

Next, this morning I got another call from the Halifax debt collection department .. at 08:25!! So I shouted at her. I told her not to be so ridiculous, that it was a STUPID time to be calling, and hung up. (At this point they were just a whisker away from a "harrasment complaint! - four calls in five days, three before 9 in the morning)

But then - I got another call this afternoon (2:23), this time from an executive assistant. She knew of my written complaints, but she seemed to be calling mainly in response to my email. They're going to refund all my fees to date (within five days) and restore my account access.

I'm not celebrating yet, not till the promised actions take place, but I think I just might possibly have, .. er .. WON!!

Actually I feel guilty. Some of you here seem to have to wait so long for justice! I really don't know how I got such a quick result, I must have just, accidentaly, pushed the right buttons (whatever they are). Perhaps they're more frightened of the Banking Ombudsman than I ever expected them to be.

Anyway, let's just wait till the money is refunded to the account, eh ..

By the way ..

I got yet another call at 2:41. From the collection department again. This time another mistake - "oops sorry, you've had a call already haven't you?"

Do you think these people have a communication problem??

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Hi victimnomore, good for you!!!

could you post the email address you used please?

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Sure!

I got the details here.

I used the email address for customer relations:

[email protected]

(actually miss-spelled on the above link)

With a copy to [email protected]

Andy Hornby is Chief Executive of HBOS plc. in Edinburgh. So it's probably cc-ing him that did the trick!

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Hi victim no more, i have been in the same boat with the halifax.

Im still at S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) stage at the minute though they only have till 3.3.07 to comply !

a few years back when i was in financial difficulties for a period of 5 weeks on the trot the bank was taking every penny of my wages the minute they got paid in, all because of their charges.

Ofcourse it didnt help when i had seven companies repeatedly trying to draw direct debits twice a day for a month (£30 every time this happened)

Im sure when i get my copy statements there will be plently to look at.

Best of luck with the claim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/59099-progenic-halifax.html

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs

• 1 month later...

**************WON******************

Yes, I think we can call it a win. I got back all the fees I'd asked for, but not the contractual interest I'd claimed.

So, "good", I thought. But, they hadn't finished messing me about (with incompetance rather than malice I think).

Apparently back on 10 February, when their "arrears" department restricted my internet account access, they also effectively suspended my account. That meant that, once the fees had been cancelled, and I had a little bit of money in my account, I went to a cash machine and .. .. had my card retained!!!!

"We'll send you a new card in 7-10 days"

"Can't you do it faster?"

"No, because that's how long it takes."

Nothing like logic, eh?

In fact, the card never arrived. So I phoned up and was told it had been actioned so they'd cancel it and send me another card in 7-10days!!!!

Now that some of my money was actually getting into my account, I paid of a few small bills, by cheque. Bad idea! The cheques bounced. (They shouldn't have done) so I sent replacement cheques. Even worse idea!! They bounced again. Moreover the recipients charged me for non-payment ("administrative fees" = unlawful penalties if you ask me). Why did the cheques bounce? Because, apparently, when little miss arrears suspended my account she also cancelled my cheque book, the whole of it. But NOBODY had told me!! I was happily sending out cheques in good faith, and being charged for the idiot bank bouncing them.

Another complaint to Halifax, and, fortunately they agreed to reimburse me for the penalty charges the cheque recipients had charged me. There's got to be some sort of irony in that!

All in all then .. a definite win, but with a few minor loose ends to tie up.

**************WON******************

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Victim no more

hi and congrats, i have not seen you post for a good while. So what exactly happened with the CI claim, did they pay up out of court or did it reach the court room ?

why did you except the payment with out CI ?

so many questions lol

Good Job Anyways

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs

Because they settled at such an early stage (even before the LBA), and because the whole claim was relatively small, the interest, even at the "unauthorised overdraft" rate amounted to very little - less than five pounds I think - so not worth fighting over. Well, not this time!

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Congratulations. I think you were right not to pursue the CI.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

CONGRATULATIONS....!!!!!!!

Im really chuffed for you. Great feeling isnt it. :D :D

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .