• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Andys Mum update ** WON !!! **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi update and advice please.

Rang my court and was told by a very nice man that the Abbeys AQ had been filed but with only 1 day to spare. Apparently the judge has asked the court clerk to file a direction on the Abbey quoting an order by Judge Toomb. I have read up on this order and it seems to me that he is saying that he is not happy that they settle just before the case goes to court and he looks for evidence of claims of this type proceeding to a final contested hearing. Am I reading this correctly.

He also said I need do nothing, but I don't want to get caught out and not be ready with papers for court case.

Am I likely to get a Direction or a copy of the one sent to the Abbey. The clerk said it would take about 5 days to get this Direction to the Abbey. How long are they normally given to respond.

Thanks a million and keep up the good work.

Thanks Michael,

Do you really think that will be it. I had heard that Lincolnshire was a good county to live in. I'm originally from the south and I still miss the hills!!

I would have liked to hear whether the court would have allowed me to stand in for my son just so that other CAG members could perhaps help their kids, this process is a bit daunting when all said and done.

I will let you know outcome and thanks to you and Judge Toombs.

Andy's Mum

You are nearly there I also was claiming for my son and today won 10K full settlement which includes interest +30 hours @9.25. Feels so good Good Luck I am nearly 65 so please do not feel worried if I can do it without having a heart attack then anybody can .:D :D

Hi Anney, only just turned on computer I had a day off work yesterday so decided to keep away from all things mentioning Banks and Courts.

Thanks for your message, I have just read that you have WON ... well done!!

and by the way happy birthday for Sunday, my 65th is October. You sound like me young at heart and in spirit.

Ours is not a huge claim 1500'ish but my son could sure do with it, him and his girlfriend are trying to buy a home together.

I expect you have read that it looks like my local Judge is not too pleased with the banks going near to court date and then settling. I am just waiting with baited breath... There have been a couple of interviews and articles during past week on this subject plus Martin Lewis was on TV last night.

Many many thanks again Anney, I have been following your story since I picked up that you were trying to help your son as well.

Have a really good day tomorrow.

I am still smiling ... Brenda

Hi

Had a letter today from the Court today I would say following on from my conversation with the court last week, looks like a standard letter basically saying 'The court of its own motion is considering striking out the Defence in this action as an abuse of process'.

going on to say .. 'The basis for this is the fact that the Defendant is settling all claims of this nature where Claimants are seeking the reimbursement of Bank Chrges, with no claims proceeding to a contested hearing'

The court is asking for schedules setting out all claims of this type which have proceeded to a contested hearing and a schedule of all such claims which is has comprised before final hearing, etc.etc...

I'm sure you have heard of this before but it sounds pretty good to me. Can you tell me please do I need to acknowledge to the Court and should I perhaps contact Abbey and try and get a settlement, what do you guys think??

As always many thanks, Bren

Hi Anney and Kimmy

Thanks for messages. Got the phone numbers haven't spoken to either of them yet. I work on a reception desk so difficult to make phone calls. e-mail not a problem. It would seem that this is the best thing about living in Lincolnshire the District Court Judge for Lincoln CC is the one pressing for all banks to keep their end of the bargain and disclose their costs, attend court and not settle just days before the case goes to court.

I have read a few articles on this lately there has been a lot of media attention on this. One thing I saw today on Martin Lewis' web site is that in April the OFT is likely to push the banks into changing their charges, probably to £12 per item which could mean that the banks can cite the OFT's ruling and only settle for the difference between £12 and whatever the various banks are charging now. According to Martin this could mean the banks will start defending these claims for the whole amount and only settle for the differences. As he says get claims in now!!

By the way I hope you had a very happy 65th last Sunday, Anney

Keep in touch. Bren

According to Martin this could mean the banks will start defending these claims for the whole amount and only settle for the differences.

I'm not sure why he says things like this. The OFT ruled similarly on credit cards over a year ago and it hasn't made a jot of difference to credit card claims. They're still having to settle in full

Hi Andy's Mum

I just put a note on my AQ that my son wanted me to speak for him and they stated that he would have to be present that is just not going to happen . They will settle way before then I predict it will be very soon. I had a great birthday. 3 of my 4 boys took me to an Italian restaurant for lunch. Unfortunately the one who I did the case for is in Barbados but his back Saturday. My husband couldn't come as he has had Oral cancer and can only eat soft food . So it was the first time I had been out for a year really nice. We hope all his treatment will be over by the time the wedding comes in August as he has the honour of giving the bride away. What a year has started brilliantly Good Luck

Hi Anney,

Thanks yet again for that advise about Inga, I don't know whether she will speak to me as the claim is in my son's name. He did sign a letter giving me authority but alternatively I was wondering whether to e-mail them. What did you do?

I'm glad you had a nice birthday, I realised from reading your thread that your hubby had been poorly but sounds like he's on the road to recovery. Special Good Wishes to you both.

Keep in touch. Bren

Hi Michael,

Do you subscribe to Martin's MoneySavingExpert.com? He was the one who started me thinking about this whole scenario of claiming. I did all my preliminary research etc., through his web site and eventually picked up the thread to the CAG. I suppose he just wants to make people aware of what's going on 'behind closed doors' and what it could mean to their claims. I must admit I don't always agree with what he says but as I'm a novice at this and I think I am in a good position at the moment.

Thanks yet again for your views.

Keep in touch, Bren

WE HAVE WON ... PAID IN FULL ... JUST WAITING FOR CHEQUE

It must pay to live in Lincolnshire. The Abbey cant do what the Judge from our local court asked so without any contact from us with the Abbey, a letter came today settling in full (£1594).

On the advice of the Court Clerk at our designated court, I didn't contact Abbey he said, more or less, don't waste a phone call, they will not be able to do what the Judge has asked, just sit tight, he was a very nice man!!!

I never did stop smiling ... Keep up the good work

Many, many thanks for all encouragement and help.

I will let you no when money in bank ... Bren

Congratulations!!!!

Well done

Drinks are you!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read throught the

FAQ's and when your ready, start a thread in your banks forum to keep us all updated!

If the information I have provided is useful, please click the scales!

Hi Guys

and THANKS FOR GOOD WISHES. My son doesn't know yet I haven't been able to get hold of him as he's working down south today.

Will keep in touch and let you know when money in bank.

By the way saw you won recently Reg, many congratulations to you too.

I think we were lucky didn't seem to have too many problems, as I said maybe it's the Lincolnshire thing!!

Keep up the good work CAG .... Bren

Well done to you!! I've got my fingers crossed for a settlement soon. Like you I'm doing this on behalf of my son so hope to be able to go to court with him as he's not too well up on what's happening.

Just had letter of allocation to small claim track from the court today. I'm a little confused as they haven't given a court date. Just wondering whether I should start the court bundle yet or wait till I get the date of the hearing.