Norwich Union is useless!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Oh hold on, that's a bit of a generalisation isn't it??? No??? OK then...

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say ive found them to be really good, apart from indian call centres (which are going) they were the cheapest on our car insurance by over £250 per year, when we had to make a claim they were helpful and pleasant and let me deal with it instead of the policy holder (named driver), it doesnt seem to matter what car we have its £250 per year lol.

Had a Citroen 1400 ZX (worth £250) £250 to insure (written off paid us £600)

Went to a Volvo 940 estate 2.0 Turbo £260 to insure

Now have a Fiat Marea Weekend 1.8 estate £250 to insure

Weird hehehe

• 4 weeks later...

I think they're useless because I believed I was fully comp insured - had an accident a few weeks ago where a car hit me, called them to report it for them to tell me my policy had been cancelled because of a missed direct debit.

Thing is, I sent a cheque for the missed dd - WHICH THEY CASHED. After refusing to pay my claim, an electronic transfer of the missed premium turned up in my bank 5 days later - this could only have been sent AFTER i made the phone call reporting the claim.

Not sure where i stand on this - the fact thatiwas driving uninsured scares the life outta me. i didnt receive a SINGLE letter telling me my policy was cancelled, nor any requests for my certificate of motor insurance to be returned, yet they say they sent 2, Fact is, I NEVER GOT THEM - i would have rectified the situation immediately if i had.

Most Companies send out letters for missed payments allowing you 10 days before they re-present the payment. If that doesnt go through then you have to pay by another method. NU would have sent letters as these are automated, so unless you have post problems or have not updated address information - then the letter should have arrived (onus on customer to ensure all informaiton is correct)

At the end of the day, when you agree to a contract whether its finance or Insurance, you should be made aware of payment methods. Cheque is rarely accepted by major organisations due to the risk of payments being lost by being sent to the wrong address, hence direct debits are the preferred method. Paying by one cheque for a missed payment is accepted however a mandate needs to be in place for future payments - something you would have been asked to do. I've been in a situation similair to yours so know the procedure for NU and its unlikely they would cancel without giving you notice of intention - this is usually 4 weeks maximum, failure to do so results in the policy being backdated and cancelled.

In Insurance, thinking "It wont happen to me" could mean you dont have the cover you want at a time when you want it! - Dont always reject a Courtesy Car or Legal because you find the cost too much! Whats more valuable? YOU or the Policy Premium?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please add to my reputation if my reply was informative to you. (click the scales);) Replies offered by me are not linked to anyone, and is from my own personal experience.:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

With the insurers, there is an Ombudsman that deals specifically with issues relating to the insurance companies. I think you have to go through the companies complaints procedure first of all before you can refer it to the Ombudsman. But I agree with the suggestion to fight this matter. Especially given the legal implications for you with regards to technically not being insured at the time of the accident.

Their call centres are hopeless. I recently bought a car and wanted to change my insurance over. I'd already had a quote for £550 from a broker, insured through NU, £100 more than my old car which was insured directly with NU.

When I rung them I was told it would be £90 a month extra for the last 2 months of the policy (taking the payments to £130 a month - I don't think so!). I asked for an annual quote - 'we can't give you one' was the reply. Oh dear.

I got a quote from NU direct online - £1500. I then cancelled my policy, and took out the policy with the broker for £550 - the underwriter is NU and the cover is exactly the same. Work that one out!

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Oh we noticed a funny thing online if you get a quote under the name Elisabeth with an S its £1 cheaper than Elizabeth with a Z

How weird is that???

Obviously Elizabeths crash their cars more lol

• 1 year later...
I think they're useless because I believed I was fully comp insured - had an accident a few weeks ago where a car hit me, called them to report it for them to tell me my policy had been cancelled because of a missed direct debit.

Thing is, I sent a cheque for the missed dd - WHICH THEY CASHED. After refusing to pay my claim, an electronic transfer of the missed premium turned up in my bank 5 days later - this could only have been sent AFTER i made the phone call reporting the claim.

Not sure where i stand on this - the fact thatiwas driving uninsured scares the life outta me. i didnt receive a SINGLE letter telling me my policy was cancelled, nor any requests for my certificate of motor insurance to be returned, yet they say they sent 2, Fact is, I NEVER GOT THEM - i would have rectified the situation immediately if i had.

I recently discussed a case like this with a barrister and it was his opinon that as the company had accepted the cheque the contract was still valid ( consideration [ the cheque ] had been accepted) and the insurance would find it very hard to avoid paying out. The fact that they returned your money after you made the claim would not be any defence for them.

If this is of any help please click my scales down in the left corner.:D

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks