• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nicho1120 Vs Sterling Credit

nicho1120
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been charged over £250 in charges for phone calls and letters with regards to late repayments. These have been £18 a go for each letter or phone call. I have also had to pay £120 for what they call a legal sealing fee when i paid the loan off early. do you think i am worthy of being able to claim any of this back ?????

Most definitely.

First send a Data Protection Act SARs letter from the templates library

Click this link.........

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-data-protection-act-subject.html

Then while you are waiting for your statements to arrive, spend a few days reading the FAQs and the step-by-step guides. Also read the information available in the library sections.

Note that this is a self-help forum so please try to read some of the wealth of information that is available. If you still have any questions then the answers won't be far away.

It may seem a bit daunting at times, but if you follow the well-tried and tested procedures suggested on this site, then you WILL succeed.

Good luck with your claim. :)

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone could help me. I have written a letter to a Sterling Credit with regards to a secured loan that I did have with them but have paid off in full now. They had charged me £18 for phone calls and also £18 for letters sent to myself. I wrote to them to say that I believe that they were unlawful and tyhat I wished to claim the money back. They have basically replied to say that the changes in legislation and consumer relations only relate to credit cards and not to secured loans. It also says that the legislation is not retrospective therefore, even if it had been included secured loan amounts, it would not be applied to your account, which was discharged in April 2006. It states that the charges were applied strictly in accordance with the terms and conditions of the agreement.

The answers I need :-

1. Can I still not claim these charges back on a secured loan??

2. Did the legislation and consumer regulations not cover secured loans ??

Thanks in advance for your help

They are telling you nonsense.

There has been no change in legislation. The OFT report did relate to Credit cards, however, the law which makes credit card charges unlawful, applies equally to loans. The OFT does not have the power to make the law. They are simply using this to put you off claiming.

So yes you can claim these charges.

Zoot

cheers zootscoot. What should i include then in my letter back to them then. Obviously from the first letter they are confident that they have done nothing wrong I just need some advice on what to write to counteract this ???

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXX

Request for repayment of charges

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your letter dated XXXX in response to my request for the refund of charges. Whilst I acknowledge that the OFT report was in relation to credit cards the law regarding the unlawful levying of charges for a breach of contract applies equally to loan accounts.

In the case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract as oppose to a charge which represents a penalty. This law was confirmed and upheld in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. A charge will be held to be a penalty if the sum stipulated for is extravagant and unconscionable in amount in comparison to the greatest loss that could conceivably be proved to have followed from the breach. A penalty clause is void in its entirety and unenforceable.

In addition your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). My account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as I am a consumer. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under Schedule 2 of the said Regulations which provide an indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair. Under paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 this specifically includes terms which have the object of requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation. I vigorously contend that this is the position regarding the fee of XXXX which you deemed fit to apply to my account.

Furthermore a fee levied requiring me to indemnify you for costs related to a breach of contract is also contrary to s.4 Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977. I am confident that a court is likely to consider the charges to be unreasonable within s.11 of the said Act as a large commercial institution such as yourselves is in a far better placed position than myself as a consumer to bear the burden of the vicissitudes of business.

I believe that the charges you have levied of XXXXX for late payment and return of debit fees far exceed any true cost to yourself as a result of my breaches and any genuine pre-estimate you could conceivably reach. If you disagree, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put to as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your charges really do reflect your costs.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that we took out the loan. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise. I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them. Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented us from asserting my rights until now.

I really hope that this matter can be resolved amicably and without the need for redress to the courts. Thus we are asking that you refund the charges which have unlawfully been levied on my account. Failure to refund all the money unlawfully taken will result in further action. I will give you 14 days to reply accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting us know a date by which we will receive payment. If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall issue a court claim.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX

Hope this helps

Zoot

• 2 weeks later...

Sent the letter and have received this reply.

You refer to the "unfair terms and and consumer contract regulations" which clearly state a term is only unfair if " contary to the requirement of good faith it causes a significant imbalance in the parties rights and obligations under the contract, to the detriment of consumers" and in addition a standard term must be expressed in plain and intelligible language. This condition does clearly not breach this test.

You also mentioned fees of £### that have been levied to your account . These fees were clearly identified on our tariff card and provided on completion fo your loan. The OFT has clearly identified late payment fees on credit cards as unfair and set a maximum of £12 but are still investigating other charges levied by banks and financial institutions. Obviously, the facility provided to you does not fall under this definition and furthermore the OFT comment was not retrospective.

We trust that this now clarifies the situation for you.

What should I do now. Is there any reply to this or should I just leave this case ????

Hi . . .

This is a standard response. The charges are unlawful and the OFT have'nt been doing their job correctly as we see it. They can take the banks to court and sort this out once and for all, but they won't for some reason. Damage limitation is the way i see it. Send the Letter Before Action to get your late charges etc back.

Good luck

Ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Opps mis read. Yes start your claim now. Good luck

Ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi . .

Go straight to Moneyclaim is my advice. You get no where with the other routes, they seem to side with the banks. The info you need is in the Bank Templates library area. Jonni2bad wrote a good Particulars wording for everyone to use. Good luck

Ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Hi Nicho

You can use this for your particulars of claim. No good going to the FIS they will not get your money back for you.

Best of luck

Zoot

I am claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in the way of arrears fees from account no xxxx. These charges relate to my breaches of contract in that I failed to pay on the contractually agreed date. The defendant's charges represent a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law as established in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. Further, as disproportionate penalties they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). I have repeatedly asked the defendant to justify their charges but they have declined to do so.

• 1 month later...

Sorry not replied for a while but been on holiday and busy at work. I am about to fill the MCOL in and just wanted to clarify that the charges with regards to letters and phone calls are covered by the OFT report for secured loans. I have been reading a few threads but none of them give reference to loans only the PPI charges.

• 2 months later...

Sorry I haveny been in touch for a while but had a family member really ill and not had touch with internet for a good while. I am back now and wish to take the action further. Last time I got to the LBA and took it no further. Am i o.k to start the whole process again??? I also want to claim back for my PPI as I was mis-sold this also. Should I send two seperate letters.One for the bank charges and the other for the PPI or just the one.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anybody has had any action with a company called Sterling Credit. I have had charges put on me for telephone calls and letters which I believe are way over the top with regards to what it costs to carry out those services.