Chopski Vs Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Been browsing this site for a while now and found it quite enthralling! I like many others have been stung by the Halifax over the past few years and have always thought that as I had signed up to the T & Cs I didn't have a leg to stand on! So am quite glad I found this site (and moneysavingexpert)!

Anyway, I sent the initial statement/charge request letters on 19/01/07 to both of my accounts with the Halifax, including a £10 postal order in each. Unfortunately I have sent them to the wrong address! I got the address from moneysavingexpert (before it got corrected!) to the Halifax Card Services in Dunfermline. Now I realise they should have gone to the Trinity Road address! Have phoned them today but haven't been able to get through to anyone who knows anything yet but will try again tomorrow. Sent the letters recorded delivery so I know they have received them, just hope that they forward them to the right address or back to me.

Not sure if this means that I can only count the 40 day period from when they arrive at the correct address?

Anyway, am going to send off similar requests for Capital One tomorrow and my g/f will be sending hers off to Barclays and Barclaycard.

Just thought I would start a thread as everyone seems so helpful on here and I'm not too hot on all the legalities etc (but learning fast!). I have kept a few statements and the charges add up to over £1000 already (without interest), and am missing about a years worth of statements from a financially difficult time, so should be a bit more!

Will update when something happens.

Hope this thread is in the right place too!

Cheers

Chopski

---

Will definitely donate on payout to help keep this site going - thanks for all the advice!

Will definitely donate on payout to help keep this site going - thanks for all the advice!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Chopski and welcome to the site!

I wouldn't worry about which address you send your SAR to, obviously Trinity Road is the correct one, but your letter will get there and if they miss the 40 day deadline, that's their fault, not yours. They know all about SAR's and where to pass them onto, they've had plenty. ;)

You've done your bit for now, sit back and wait for those statements, and if an organisation of their size can't get their act together, report them.

As for the missing year of statements, get that highlighter at the ready!

Keep us posted, any questions, just ask away, we are only too happy to help! :grin:

• Haha 1

Chopski,

Welcome to the site and congratulations on taking the first step towrds reclaiming unlawful bank charges..

Don't worry about asking questions - the only daft question is one that's not asked - there will be plenty of people wondering the same as you and are worried about asking the exact same question. There are plenty of people who will be able to offer suitable advice.

We were all in your position at one time or another..!

My advice would be to read, read and re-read the threads / posts on the site - it will help you see that we all have / had the same fears and worries.

In the meantime (whilst waiting for your statements to arive) click the links below for further advice...

Hope that the above helps or at least give you some encouragement that you've made the right decision.

Survivor 8)

• Haha 1

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi there Chopski and welcome to the site!

I wouldn't worry about which address you send your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to, obviously Trinity Road is the correct one, but your letter will get there and if they miss the 40 day deadline, that's their fault, not yours. They know all about SAR's and where to pass them onto, they've had plenty. ;)

You've done your bit for now, sit back and wait for those statements, and if an organisation of their size can't get their act together, report them.

As for the missing year of statements, get that highlighter at the ready!

Keep us posted, any questions, just ask away, we are only too happy to help! :grin:

Hi AWC,

Thanks for the welcome and advice - much appreciated. I will start the countdown from when they received the letter then, and will continue to read through posts on here.

I haven't come across any, but has anyone actually lost and been denied there charges?

Regards,

Chop

Chopski,

Welcome to the site and congratulations on taking the first step towrds reclaiming unlawful bank charges..

Don't worry about asking questions - the only daft question is one that's not asked - there will be plenty of people wondering the same as you and are worried about asking the exact same question. There are plenty of people who will be able to offer suitable advice.

We were all in your position at one time or another..!

My advice would be to read, read and re-read the threads / posts on the site - it will help you see that we all have / had the same fears and worries.

In the meantime (whilst waiting for your statements to arive) click the links below for further advice...

Hope that the above helps or at least give you some encouragement that you've made the right decision.

Survivor 8)

Hi Survivor,

Thanks for the tips - have now filled up my favorites with links from here. I often find it a bit boring reading legal stuff but not here! It's fascinating reading some of the posts and following everyones adventures with the banks!

Thanks for the welcome.

Chop

Apparently there was 1, but there was a big problem with it. But i have looked everywhere and i cant find it. So it might be one of those...chinese whispers stories, but since being on here i have read all sites and never heard of any one getting turned down. :p

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Apparently there was 1, but there was a big problem with it. But i have looked everywhere and i cant find it. So it might be one of those...chinese whispers stories, but since being on here i have read all sites and never heard of any one getting turned down. :p

Hi Sea Sidelady,

Thanks - it's very reassuring to know that they haven't found a way round refunding charges yet! Although I am sure the banks legal teams are working overdrive to find a loophole or change their policies!

Bless em!

Regards

Chop

Hi Sea Sidelady,

Thanks - it's very reassuring to know that they haven't found a way round refunding charges yet! Although I am sure the banks legal teams are working overdrive to find a loophole or change their policies!

Bless em!

Regards

Chop

Basically, they have backed themselves into a corner. Having spent years charging customers way above the real cost and unlawfully pocketing the profits, they have only two choices when confronted by us the consumer: 1) Pay up, shut up and continue to overcharge, 2) Challenge the consumer, go to court and reveal the true costs they encure covering our debts/charges - which will open the flood gates for the entire public to reclaim and probably bust all the banks.

So, in essence, they would rather pay you back then admit the truth, but they won't give in quietly and will never accept that they were ever in the wrong and will accuse customers of managing their accounts badly.

• Haha 1

Hi again,

Heres the next update. I phoned the customer relations number (08457 253519) today to find out where my initial S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and postal orders were, as I had sent them to the wrong address. Spoke to quite a helpful lady who tried to track them down for me, but with no luck. She had a chat with her manager and told me she would order all 6 years statements from both my accounts today free of charge, so I should receive them within 2 weeks. Still not sure where my 2 postal orders are yet but she also said she would notify the data control centre as even if they had been sent to the wrong address they should find their way to the right one, or if not back to me.

Whether the statements were free of charge or not I don't think I can get the cash bank from the postal orders if they come back to me as they were made out to Halifax?

Anyway looks like the statements are on the way. Although I will still be counting down the days from the initial request as even though it was the wrong address, it was still sent to the Halifax.

I might even buy a new highlighter for the occasion!

Thanks again for all your advice everyone!

Regards

Chop

P.S. Does nayone know why my sugnature never shows up after I post a message? It is enabled in CP and all the relevant tickboxes are ticked? Thanks

• Haha 1

Hi everyone,

A quick update - I phoned the Halifax to see if they had received my SAR (originally sent to the wrong address at Pitreavie Business Park instead of Trinity Road) and they said they hadn't. I explained that I had sent postal orders of £10 for each account I have with them and the lady I was speaking to said she would order the statements free of charge (so in theory I should get the postal orders sent back if they ever turn up!). I received 2 letters dated the 6th February saying that my statements will be sent under separate cover in the next 10 working days.

So should have the statements by the 20th Feb. The initial 40 days runs out on the 28th Feb, so things seem to be on track at the mo!

Will update again when something else happens!

Chopski

Hi again,

The statements arrived yesterday (poor postie!) so Halifax have been quite quick, especially as I sent the original SAR to the wrong address!

Anyway I have spent some quality time with the highlighters and the statements and have roughly added things up to a total of just over £3000 (2500 on one account and 500 on another).

I am now trying to understand how the interest works out as there are a huge amount of payments marked on the statements as 'Interest Debited - Notified last Month'. Some of these are over £25 a hit and they come thick and fast! I have an authorised overdraft with them so I am guessing that most of this interest is ligitimate as I would have normally had to pay interest due to the overdraft? However, due to the amount of the charges that have pushed me over my authorised overdraft amount, can I claim back the interest on the unauthorised overdraft amount? The theory is that if they hadnt have charged me so much, I would not have been paying so much interest.

If anyone can help me out on this one I would be very grateful. I am sure I have read on here somewhere that someone added all the 'interest debited - notified last month' and included it in the initial claim (separate from the 8%).

Many thanks

Chopski

Hi Chopski --- sorry can't help on the interest bit, but a little tip, go through all of your statements again, just on the off chance that you've missed the odd charge!!!! I'd missed about 6 the first time that I found the second time!!!!! Have a read of my thread to see how I fared with the Halifax :D :D :D

My signature only seems to show up occasionally, even though it is always ticked on the box, so I don't know what keeps happening with them either.

If you need any help, just post a message and someone will be back in touch soon.

Very best wishes - jaxads x

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Jaxads,

with reference to you rsigature appearing - I posted a thread about this some time ago and was told that you need to post a reply conatianing over 100 words - not able to stretch out this post withe enoufg, sorry enough, waffle.

However, it does appear that you posted a sufficiently long enough rply to facilitate the inclsion of you electronic signature.

It appears at this point that I may indeed have waffled for long enough, and therefore used enough words, in order for MY signature to appear...

Having reviewed my post, it has become apparent that sufficient words were no utilised for my signature to appear. I have, therefore, been forced to add this aditional paragraph / sentance in the vain hope that my word count increases to the requisite amount..

Hope it helps..

Survivor :cool:

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

There you go Jaxads - needed to add more waffle.

There you go Jaxads - needed to add more waffle.

Surely I waffled enough in my posts to generate a signature??

Strange

Any help on the interest bit of my last post would still be greatly appreciated :-)

Cheers

Chopski

Hi again,

The statements arrived yesterday (poor postie!) so Halifax have been quite quick, especially as I sent the original S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to the wrong address!

Anyway I have spent some quality time with the highlighters and the statements and have roughly added things up to a total of just over £3000 (2500 on one account and 500 on another).

I am now trying to understand how the interest works out as there are a huge amount of payments marked on the statements as 'Interest Debited - Notified last Month'. Some of these are over £25 a hit and they come thick and fast! I have an authorised overdraft with them so I am guessing that most of this interest is ligitimate as I would have normally had to pay interest due to the overdraft? However, due to the amount of the charges that have pushed me over my authorised overdraft amount, can I claim back the interest on the unauthorised overdraft amount? The theory is that if they hadnt have charged me so much, I would not have been paying so much interest.

If anyone can help me out on this one I would be very grateful. I am sure I have read on here somewhere that someone added all the 'interest debited - notified last month' and included it in the initial claim (separate from the 8%).

Many thanks

Chopski

Hi again,

Anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the extortionate amount of interest I have been paying and whether I can claim any of this back?

Many thanks

Chopski

Chopski,

I chanced my arm when I submitted my claim, and included all entries marked 'Interest Debitted - Notified Last Month' on my schedule of charges. Halifax have so far only responded with standard letters, and have not yet made an offer - I filed N1 on Monday 12/02/2007.

I'm not expecting an offer, and fully anticipate having to complete AQ, however, IMHO, I think Halifax may make an offer prior to going to court, and if it does get as far as court, I believe that they would only dispute the 'Interest Debitted - etc, etc' as to dispute the full amount would render them having to disclose tha actual costs incurred ...!! :D

In, I thinkgk that they will settle in full before appearing, given that the full amount of 'interes debitted - etc' is only £250 ish.

Hope that the above gives some help and / or guidance/advice...

Chopski,

I chanced my arm when I submitted my claim, and included all entries marked 'Interest Debitted - Notified Last Month' on my schedule of charges. Halifax have so far only responded with standard letters, and have not yet made an offer - I filed N1 on Monday 12/02/2007.

I'm not expecting an offer, and fully anticipate having to complete AQ, however, IMHO, I think Halifax may make an offer prior to going to court, and if it does get as far as court, I believe that they would only dispute the 'Interest Debitted - etc, etc' as to dispute the full amount would render them having to disclose tha actual costs incurred ...!! :D

In, I thinkgk that they will settle in full before appearing, given that the full amount of 'interes debitted - etc' is only £250 ish.

Hope that the above gives some help and / or guidance/advice...

Hi Survivor,

Well lets hope they just pay up the full amount for us both :-)

I'm not sure if I'm going to just include all the 'interest debited - notified last month' yet, gonna think about it a little further. Once I start sending of the rest of the letters I really want it to go as smoothly as possible and having the correct calculations on my part will hopefully help.

Thing is I am rubbish at maths etc and to go bacl over all the interest debits, work out what the interest rate was at that time and then work out the percentage of that interest that was actually caused by the unauthorised overdraft (halifax fault) and what % was caused by the authorised overdraft (my fault), is a real pain in the but!

Might just be easier to claim for charges and then at court stage add on the 8% etc.

Thanks for the advice survivor.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks

Chopski

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update,

Sent the prelim letter to Trinity road recorded for both of my accounts with the Halifax on 21st Feb.

Received a courtesy letter for one account saying that my case has been given to a customer relations department.

The other letter seems to have gone AWOL! Did a track n trace from royalmail and it hadn't been delivered so phoned them to enquire and they said it isn't officially lost until 15 working days from the due date! And I thought first class meant a quicker service!

Oh well, hopefully I will get an offer soon from the account that is being processed.

Chops

Guest bluecloud

I wouldn't worry if there is an acknowledgment from the Post Office.

The Courts generally hold that mail is delivered two (working) days after it is posted. You automatically have a certificate of posting as you sent it recorded delivery.

Just count 14 days from when the letter is assumed to arrive.

Not much of an excuse to say "we haven't received it". If it's good enough for the Courts, then it's good enough for us to use the two day rule.

Hope this reassures.

Chopski,

Did you add 'interest debited - notified last month' ? - I did and my claim has been settled in full, with costs & Howards 'little Xtra' 8%..

Money in account today.

Survivor :D

Hi Survivor,

Congratulations my friend!!!

I didn't put in all of them but worked it out properly on the percentage of unauthorised versus authorised overdraft etc. To be honest most of the 'interest debited - notified last month' counted anyway so it really bumped up the total :D

Really glad you got yours though - hopefully the same will happen to me!

Cheers

Chopski

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Another update.

Just arrived back from Spain to find 2 offers from Halifax.

From my basic account I asked for a refund of £463.00 in charges plus £1.64 in interest (not the 8%). They have offered me a refund of £312.00, not accepting liability etc etc.

From my current account I asked for a refund of £2583.00 in charges plus £401.81 in interest (not the 8%). They have offered me a refund of £2573.00, also not accepting liability.

They have included an Acceptance Form for both the amounts which they want me to sign and send back. Although I am pleased that their first offer is so good, I would prefer to get all the money back.

Do I need to send a letter saying I accept in part payment or do I need to refuse the whole lot and say I will continue with claim etc? Also, is there a template letter for this scenario?

Many thanks

Chopski

Also,

The offer came at the end of the Preliminary letter timeframe, so I haven't sent the LBA yet. Do I still need to send that letter or can I just use one of the rejection letters and adapt it so it says something like 'if i dont here from you in 7 days i will proceed to the next stage of my request' and then send the LBA giving them a further 14 days (after the 7 days from the rejection letter?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Chops