• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

delta6370 v Natwest **WON**

delta6370
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No need for the nerves, you'll be just fine. You've got all the help and support right here and it'll turn out to be like a walk in the park.

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Just had a thought, I went up to the court this morning with 3 copies of the N1 and 3 copies of the charges, and the lady I spoke to kept all 3, is that right? I did ask her waht happens now and she said it will be processed and served, I will get mine back and then I wait to hear what NW are planning to do.

Well just had an official looking envelope from the court, it says....

'Your claim was issued on 28th March 2007. The court sent it to the defendant by first class post on 28th March 2007 and it will be deemed to be served on 30th March 2007. The defendant has until 13 April 2007 ro reply.'

So I guess it's just a case of sitting and waiting for a couple of weeks now and see what happens.

The people at the court also put in the envelope a helpful little booklet, entitled 'A claim has been made against me, what should I do?' (EX303), hmmm me thinks they put that in the wrong envelope!

So now the fun starts. Just wait for acknowledgement of service from The Cobblers, which you will get within 14 days, it took them 8 on mine, and then you sit back and wait for full defence. Im right at that stage now. The waiting is soooooooooo hard, because it seems like such a pointless space of empty time, but make good use of the time and read read read up on the next stage. It helps to keep it fresh in your mind.

All the best.

Fendy xxx

Thanks Fendy, I know that Deller said not to, but I do actually feel quite nervy about this, I mean, It's sort of really official now isn't it?

I see you are not far from me, just over t'border like! (I'm in Lancs) :)

It is only nervy if you're going through it alone......and you're not, cos we're all here to help.

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Ok partial victory, just had a letter from Natwest with the usual blah blah in it and they they have offered me the full amount of my pre-court amount (to be paid into my account, which is now closed!)

So what do I do now? I have filed at court, it should has been deemed as served on the 30th (this letter dated 26th), for interest and court costs on top.

Do I take this as partial refund and claim for the rest? and how do I get them to pay it by cheque (as there is no account to pay it in to)

Just had a thought, I gave them until the 27th (told them that in my last letter), this letter I have just got is dated 26th, but didn't arrive until this morning (2/4), but I filed on 28th, so does this mean that I have to accept the offer they have made?

Oh and its only a good will offer!

No you dont have to accept Delta. Based on the fact that they didnt get back to you by 27th, then you were perfectly within your rights to file at court on 28th. Regardless of their letter being dated 26th. It was still their place to ensure you received that offer by 27th, and you didnt, so nothing wrong with continuing with claim if you want to. But if you want to accept what they have offered, you can do that too. Its up to you. All the best, whatever you decide. Fendy xxxxx

Oh and if you are going to accept then you need to point out to them that the account is closed, hence they will have to send cheque. Just put it in a letter to them. Or you can also do letter saying you will accept their offer as only part of the claim, etc. etc. and will be continuing claim for full amount now including the interest at 8% etc. because you have already filed at court and because they didnt get back to you by 27th. Your choice. Personally I would go for the lot, i.e. continue with claim but its entirely up to you. I certainly wouldnt stop anything court wise, until the money was cleared into your bank anyway. Fendy xxx

I don't want to accept, I had to use my child benefit last week for the court costs! Cheeky wotsits, it doesn't take 7 days to get a letter from London to Lancashire, it's not like we are a one day a week postal area!

So which letter do I use and how do I insist on a cheque? (the NW account is closed)

Basically, just word a letter that says something like.

Dear XXXX

I refer to your letter dated 26th March, received on XXXXX date. etc. etc. offering me XXXXXX as goodwill gesture payment of my bank charges totalling XXXXXXXXX.

However, as I had not had response from you by 27th March as I previously advised to you would be my final date to wait for one, then I filed MCOL against you on XXXXXX date as I said I would.

In conclusion as this has now already been filed at court, I would be prepared to accept the amount of XXXXX (whatever they have offered you), as partial payment only, of my court claim for the full charges, plus interest at 8% plus my court fee now totalling XXXXXXXX.

If you still wish to offer me the sum of (XXXXX, whatever theyve offered), then please can you send this to me within the next 7 days, in the form of a cheque, as my account with you is closed and no longer operational, but be assured I will still be pursuing the remaining amount of XXXXXX whatever remainder is, through the legal process, under my court claim number XXXXXXX.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Something like that should do it Delta. Best of luck. And dont back down. Not one inch. Fendy xxxxx

But bear in mind, if you are going for the full lot now through court, chances are they wont send you the cheque for what they have offered so far. They will wait for the whole court process to come to an end before paying you anything. They wont send the partial payment, even if you accept............. so if you need the money quickly, or desperately, then I would accept the offer now because the court claim could drag on for 3-4 months longer. But if you can afford to wait for the whole amount till the end, then keep onward with the claim through court......... It all depends really on how urgently you need the money. Fendy xxxx

Thanks Fendy, sorry haven't been in touch before hand, but the boyfriend's house got broken into and I have been there all afternoon cleaning glass up (the ******S), am house sitting at the moment with my wild dog while he and his mum have taken the kids out for an hour.

Will get the typed up and sent tomorrow, so thanks for that.

I could do with the money now, but sod it, I waitind this long so I am going to hang out for the rest (even though I am now having to look at laram systems for my house and so could do with the money)

Hey Delta - soz to hear about the break-in. Seems like when things happen they all happen at once. Good thing is though............. you'll soon have the dosh to get an alarm put in so the little ba**ards can't get back in again!!!! And you never know, there may be enough left over for a nice treat as well! Good luck - hedgey xxx ;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Thanks for that, it has been a bit of shock and it's not my house! but thinking about it, I am single parent on my own with two kids, ok my boyfriend stays over some times, but if they got in my mad dog would probably just slobber them to death!

First thing I have to do with the money is pay some debts off!

Awwwww........... if you ask me, first thing you need to do when the cash comes through is treat yourself and the kids!!!! After all this hassle - and the break in on top of it - you lot need a treat!!! And besides........... we're women......... so we deserve it!!!!! xxx :p

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

No worries Delta. Life goes on around us still whilst we are going through the motions of our claims............. It can all seem quite daunting, but really dont be frightened......... at the end of the day, these organisations are faceless. They are all run by people, like you and me, with hearts and heads, they are no different to us in any way, not bigger, not better, not above the law........... They are accountable just like we are, so dont be fraidy................... Treat them and deal with them as you would wish to be treat yourself, but do not give them an inch on anything............ let them know you are serious and will see it through to the end............ DONT BACK DOWN................ You can do this. Its easy, you just need a wee bit of determination and confidence and you realise then that it really is easy......... Honestly.................... All the best. Fendy xxxxx

Just wanted to say, thanks to Hedgy and Fendy for your help and kind words today, as you can imagine its been the day from hell. I got home about an hour ago with the kids and the dog, boyfriend is understandably staying at his house tonight with his mum (she lives there, he stays with my occasionally).

I have just gone round the house making sure every window is locked.

And it's also lost me a days work, which because of the Easter holiday will have an impact on my work next week ,I am a Kleeneze distributor, and I needed to get some catalogues/orders collected tonight, and some orders out, so cos I haven't delivered the orders, I haven't received the money for them, not banked and will not clear for them to send me the next order. Looking at getting the next order on Tuesday cos of the holiday wreaking delivery days.

Oh joy, might just head upto bed, and take the mad slobbering dog with me!

But again, thank you for your help and kind words, they have meant a lot :)

Hey Delta...... no problem honey - get yourself up to bed and snuggle up to the kids! Start again tomorrow, cos you can't undo today. Don't worry - your reward is just around the corner....... so start planning some nice things for you guys ok?!!!! Have a good nights sleep - love and luck - hedgey xxxx :p

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Good move Delta ( fingers crossed he get's back in touch with a full offer soon).Sorry to hear about the rough time you've had lately and I hope things really start to look up :)

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

Thanks.

Obviously with all that happened yesterday I was rather late getting to bed, and didn't sleep all that well, so I could have throttled my 9 year old son when he came and woke me up with a cup of coffee at 8.15 this morning. Only to be followed 10 mins later with a bowl of ReadyBrek that he had made for me. I know it was a lovely thing for him to do, but another hour later would have suited me!