Natwest pays up

lublin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I sent Nat West a letter before action on the 26 April asking for £84 back on our joint account opened in October last year. I was getting a little worried as i had not heard anything from them. But i have just checked my account and they have not only refunded the charges, they have refunded them twice!

I'll wait to see if they ask for the second lot back, but i'm certainly not gonig to point out their error.

Thanks for a great forum and all the good advice.

Good luck to every one else reclaiming their money.

It's great news - well done. :D

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I got a letter from natwest yeaterday most of which is the standard letter i have been reading on other posts 'fair reasonable and transparent charges' 'OFT and credit cards' etc etc.

But there is another paragraph as follows:

'Consequently, against that background, we must differ with the views expressed in your letter. Despite this, we have taken the opportunity to review the charges that have been applied to your account and as an exceptional matter we have agreed to refund £84 as a gesture of goodwill. Acceptance by you of this payment will be in full and final settlement of all claims you may have relating to our charges. However, our Terms and Conditions will continue to apply and any charges that accure in the furture must stand.'

signed Mark Chamberlain

Does that mean that i can't claim for the charges back on my other Natwest account or any future unlawful charges?

I think i will have to write them another letter, and i suppose i will have to tell them they gave me too much money back as well.

It doesn't mean that you can't claim for future charges. It just means that they are offering a refund without any admission that the charges are unlawful, and their T&Cs still stand (if a term in a contract is found to be unfair in court then if possible the contract still stands without that condition).

So yes you can claim for future charges. They can't make you agree to something unlawful anyway, so there is no chance of you giving away any legal rights.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

Am about to post the following to Mark Chamberlain:

'Thank you for your letter dated 8 May 2006. I will accept your offer of £84 as full and final settlement of all claims i have to date on this account regarding your charges.

I appreciate your terms and conditions must stand however if you continue to apply unlawful charges to this account I will be seeking a refund for these also.

Please find enclosed a cheque for £84. this is a refund to Natwest for accidentally refunding the above charges to my account twice.

May i also remind you that Natwest offers a service to its customers and that all consumers have a choice. UK consumers will not tolerate unlawful practice by our banks and we will not tolerate pooor service. I hope Natwest will address the issue of unlawful charges for the future and that you will be able to offer a fair service to all your customers.'

I also received 6 years of bank statements for another account from natwest yesterday in a very tatty brown envelope with holes all round it, which the postman didn't even post through the door, he left it on the door step.

I will be sending the prelim letter regarding that account today and also complaining to royal mail.

• 4 weeks later...

Well so far Natwest have failed to cash the cheque I sent them refunding my extra charges, so maybe they will let me keep it!

I also posted my prelim letter to natwest for a different account which they completly ignored. The 14 days ran out end of last week, so will be posting LBA tomorrow.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks