• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case on this topic that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. Also, I continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wentworth Direct Finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick update.

I called the direct number and a very curt young lady said to call the "head office" on the 0844 number and before I had a chance to respond hung up the phone. :-x Of course I called straight back and spoke to someone else who was slightly less curt but who also told me to call the other number. I said I didn't want to hold for another hour only to be cut off again. She then said I had to write to the "refunds department" -they have a whole department to deal with refunds apparntly! :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is the letter I am going to send, any comments?

Wentworth Direct Finance

Wrotham Road

Gravesend

Kent

DA13 0BR

19 July 2010

Dear Sir,

Loan Ref Number WDF ******

With regard to the above loan reference I am writing to request that you refund to me the £118 you have taken from my bank. You took two payments of £59 (ref: ***********), one on
19 June 2010
and the second on
22 June 2010

When I originally spoke to your representative I was told that you had a loan arranged for me, although he would not tell me with whom, and that all I had to do was to pay the £59 fee and the funds would be with me within 7-10 days.

This was demonstrably untrue as you did not
provide me with access to a loan on terms which I found acceptable within that time
and was said to DECEIVE me into paying your £59 “brokerage fee”. As I am sure you are aware
taking money from another by DECEPTION is a CONTRAVENTION OF THE THEFT ACT and punishable by up to 10 years in prison plus a fine.

Indeed, your credit broker licence dictates that you cannot in
six months time
ask for more than a nominal fee. Certainly NOT £59 and certainly NOT before you have provided access to a loan.

You have 14 days from the date of this letter to provide the refund of £118. If I do not receive a refund within this time I will take the matter up with Ian Learmonth, the new Chief Constable of Kent in order to press for an indictment for fraudulent theft.

Yours sincerely

Do you think that will do the trick?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paullittle,

that's the way to do it!!!

These people know that from the moment the Chief Constable is told of the presence of such people on his patch will be the beginning of the end for them.

Well done Paul

I recently applied for a loan from wentworth the application seemed very vague and withing minutes of submitting it online i recieved a phone call off a gent who explained everything to me and i was very happy with what he was saying he then asked for my detrails to process the brokers fee and I thought everything was ok. I received a letter on Friday 16th July 2010 for a broker’s fee of £59.00. I telephoned the company again and they said that the payment hadnt been processed and so to speed the process up i gave the person my details again. when I telephoned again on Monday 19th July as the payment hadn’t been taken from my account. I was then told over the phone that there had been a problem with the fee payment and that I was to send the form back with my payment details, which I posted to them on Monday 19th July.

I then decided to cancel my application as I felt the process was taking too long and things seemed a little fishy as I was told it would be quick and easy. I telephoned on Tuesday 20th July and I was on the phone for forty one minutes trying to get through to someone. When I finally did get through to speak with someone the lady who I spoke to said that she would telephone the people who deal with cancellations first thing in the morning, and that she would try her damndest to stop the payment coming out of my account. I have found when checking my account this morning 4days after I cancelled my application the fee of £59.00 has been taken from my account dated Saturday 24th July. I have written a letter to them stating that if I dont recieve the fee by the end of the week I would report them for fraud and theft.

Do you think I have done the right thing. Does anyone know who I can contact in order for them to be investigated. Is there anything that my bank can do??

Reef 10,

in asking you for money upfront they contravene the licence issued to them by The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) - they are only able to take a nominal £5 off you after six months of failing to obtain you a loan on terms you find acceptable.

As you see from all the postings above, they have no intention of finding you a loan, but are genuinely trying to rip you off for an unlawfully requested upfront fee.

You have done the right thing in threatening them, and should have your money back soon - they operate in the belief that anyone who does not know that an upfront fee is unlawful is mugable.

Obviously you are not .

Let the forum know if you do not get your money back by the deadline you gave and I will give you all the information you need to make sure you indict them for fraud, and with the assistance of the Chief Constable on who's manor they [problem]

I just received a refund from this bunch of crooks :D

Interestingly the accompanying letter was a hand-amended standard letter which still has the "brokerage fee" as £54, they are actually charging £59 now; well, it costs a lot more to do nothing these days:lol:

ogz8ll.jpg

Interestingly the letter also says that they will keep the £5 admin costs. I don't think that they can actually do this unless they have provided access to a loan as per:

"your credit broker licence dictates that you cannot in six months time ask for more than a nominal fee"... etc

So beware, they still try to rob you even when they are giving you a refund!

Paullittle,

point the terms of their licence out to them - only able to ask for a nominal £5 AFTER 6 months of efforts to provide an acceptable loan - and ask for your £5 back or you will challenge their right to have a Brokers Licence with the Office of Fair Trading.

Sorry, maybe I didn't put that properly: I did get ALL my money back. I was just pointing out that the "standard letter" they send out says that a £5 admin fee would be retained so people need to watch out for this.

Interestingly they call the £54 (£59 now) the "broker fee" of which £5 is an "admin" fee - it might be interesting to find out what the OFT make of that ;)

Hi everyone, I'm going to send this Fax to them tomorrow...I'm upset with myself for not researching them prior to stupidly giving them £59...

I am contacting via Fax as I feel this is the only reliable means of contacting you. As previously I have tried in vain, six telephone calls to 01753 251848 and being told different things every time and having the calls ended abruptly. I have contacted you on 0844 847 9701 and /2 yet after holding for half an hour + being the next in line and then having the call dropped by someone picking up the phone and cutting me off, then phoning again and being informed your 30th in the queue!! So please read this fax and not too dismiss it.

I have paid the fee of £59, yet have not received any further documentation having been informed it’s on its way 3 times and then lastly being informed that you have not received the payment! That was on Friday 30th July. I have contacted my bank and you received the payment on the 27th July authorisation number 966031.

You were quick enough to contact me, within hours of me applying and asking for the fee, yet once fee received you seem like you don’t care. I feel extremely angry. If you Google your company, I’m sure you are aware! Which I should have done prior to being completely duped by Chris! It is clear Wentworth Direct Finances of Gravesend, Kent.....not far from ME! is not to be trusted!!

Oh and I was told a manager would call me, but surprise, surprise no one has!

So, I give notice herewith to cancel the application and expect a refund as per your conditions and verbal communication within 30 days of this dated Fax or sooner, or I will contact the Police and other authorities as an act of deception I feel has been committed, read the act!

Thanking you

Just spread the word and get this company closed down!!!

Please can someone help me?

I believe I may have been scammed by this company. They have now taken £59 out of my account twice!

I'm not very goods with words, and am wondering if anyone can send me a draft complaints letter asking for my money back.

I feel so stupid and sick with worry. If I could affaod to lose £118 I would,t have applied for a loan!

mant thanks in antipation

I managed to put together a letter requesting a refund thanks to the various comments on this forum.

I am going to send it "recorded delivery"

If after the time given to refund (14 days) expires, and I have not recieved or heard from them, what is my next step?

Any assistance would be appreciated

Hi,

I also fell for Wentworths tactics. I had a e-mail from them last week offering me a £1,000 loan at 15.2% apr and that they would send me some paperwork through the post.

I had a phone call a day later saying that I had been approved for a loan (at the same terms) whom I assumed was from Wentworths. I foolishly gave her my debit card number and told her to take the money (£59) out today as this is the day I get paid. It was only afterwards, having had two phone calls from a company called "British Finance" (who I can't find information from) also offering me the same deal that I got suspicious.

So far, no money has been taken from my account but I am posting them a letter today telling them not to take any money. I tried to fax in but surprise surprise the fax just rings out.

This is the body of the letter.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re Loan Ref Number WDF *****

I was recently contacted by yourselves by e-mail then by telephone offering me a £1,000 loan at 15.2% APR. Since then I have also received a letter c/w application form.

I have decided after doing some research on the Internet that I do not want a loan arranged or brokered by yourselves, as I have little doubt you will not provide me with the loan you stated you would.

The phone call I received last Thursday did not explain whom the loan was from or any other pertinent details. Your caller also did not reveal to me that under the terms of your licence that you are only allowed to charge a fee until after I have agreed to a suitable loan, and that fee should be a nominal fee and certainly not £59.

I have since had telephone calls from other “brokers” offering me the same terms, so you have obviously sold or forwarded my details on, which I did not give you permission to do.

Rest assured that if any money gets taken from my bank account by yourselves or another ‘broker’ then I will be contacting the Office of Fair Trading, Trading Standards via consumer direct, my local MP and the Chief Constable of Kent Constabulary, Mr. Ian Learmonth, and pursuing a charge of fraudulent theft.

I am sending this letter both by fax and post.

Hopefully this will do the trick, if they do take some money from my account then I will be sending them a letter demanding a refund. I am certainly willing to take this further with the authorities, if they don't.

Anyway thanks to reading the advice on this thread I have some idea what to do, so thankyou everyone.

Peter.

Unfortunately I did not get to the post office last night and this morning they have took £59. I am sending them this letter and have rang my bank. The bank says they cannot do anything until it appears on my statement on a couple of days time.

With regard to the above loan reference I am writing to request that you refund to me the £59 you have taken from my bank on the 6th of August. In your e-mail and subsequent telephone conversation I was told that you had found me a loan of £1,000 at an APR of 15.2%.

When I originally spoke to your representative I was told that you had a loan arranged for me, although she would not tell me with whom, and that all I had to do was to pay the £59 fee and the funds would be with me within 7-10 days.

As I have little doubt that you will not be able to provide me with a suitable loan (after doing some research into your company on the internet) then what your representative has stated to me during the telephone conversation was said to deceive me into paying your £59 “brokerage fee”. As I am sure you are aware taking money from another by deception is a contravention of the theft act and punishable by up to 10 years in prison plus a fine.

Your credit broker licence dictates that you cannot in six months time ask for more than a nominal fee. Certainly NOT £59 and certainly NOT before you have provided access to a loan. Therefore I require you to refund the £59 you have taken from my bank account within seven days.

If a refund is not received then, rest assured, I will be taking the matter up with the Office of Fair Trading, and Trading Standards via consumer direct, my local MP and the Chief Constable of Kent Constabulary, Mr. Ian Learmonth, and pursuing a charge of fraudulent theft.

I have also since had telephone calls from other “brokers” offering me the same terms, so you have obviously forwarded my details on, which I did not give you permission to do.

Hope they don't take anymore otherwise I will be overdrawn.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a cheque this morning for £54. Not too worried about the £5 to be honest.

Just goes to show how spineless these people really are!

Won't be making that mistake again.

Thanks again for the helpful advice and input on this forum.

Well their licence seems to have expired, so I assume they are trying to get a new one or have decided to operate without one (or have been refused).

I reckon they are getting scared and can't afford any more complaints. Probably the threat of legal action frightens them.

I am another one who has been taken in by this [problem]. I foolishly gave my debit card details to them after being prommised a loan at 15.2%. £59 has been taken from my account. I called my bank and they said that because i had given them my details that i had automaticaly given them permission to take anything they wanted from my bank account, there was nothing that they (nat west) could do. My only option was to cancell my card.

Anyway i am going to send a strong letter requesting my £59 be returned. I will inform of my progress.

hello all:-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have sent this letter. Should do the job I think :-(

September 20th, 2010

My Address and Contact Details.

Jenny Sheppard

Refunds Department

Wentworth Direct Finance

Freepost sea 9712

Wrotham road

Gravesend

Kent

DA13 0BR

Dear Ms. Sheppard,

Unfortunately I have been miss-sold a service. I was informed by phone that I was accepted a loan by your underwriters and that it would be in my bank by Friday the 17th September 2010. But before the documents where sent out to my home address they would need to confirm who I am by taking my card details. I was told no money would be taken out of my account until the loan was confirmed and the full amount was in my account. It is against the law to take an upfront payment and I have also contacted the Financial Services Authority on this matter, along with my bank (HSBC).

I regret to inform you that I was not accepted a loan or sent documents as promised and was only forwarded on to another Broker! (Ralph Marlon Limited) who recommended I wrote to you to get a full refund as the service promised was not provided.

I have already contacted the Office of Fair Trading with regards to this matter and they have also advised me to write this letter with clear reference to the Consumer Protection Act 1974, that Wentworth Direct Finance are not legally allowed to even ask for any upfront fees, and that if I am not issued a full refund (minus the admin fee £5) Wentworth Direct Finance will be liable for losing their license.

Therefore I expect £59 - £5 (£54) to be re-debited into my account within 5 business working days. Or I will have to continue proceedings and escalate the matter.

Regards

Joe Richens

I have today discussed with Wentworth the possibility of them finding a loan for £2,000. When i spoke to the representative he asked me for my bank details as verification which i refused to give he then asked me for this a couple of my times saying it was for identification purposes - again i refused he then decided to hang up on me!!!!

I thought this a little odd so decided to do some research and i am so glad i did!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Wentworth totally scammed me so now i am taking them to a small claims court. It easy just go to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome You will pay £25 to do this but you WILL get your money back. I just get tired of getting scammed by dishonest people, and if we all take action, they will loose so much money that they will be out of business.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks