Complaint regarding Currys online

satin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week, I ordered a heater from Curry's online store but I decided not to keep it. In the website, it clearly states that online goods can be returned to anystore and the delivery charge will also be refunded.

So, my mum went to one of the store for a refund, but the sales assistant at first rejected the refund because she said that they do not return goods from online. My mum brought a copy of the terms and conditions where it states you can return online goods and still they refused. So she demanded to speak to the manager. The manager also said no but in the end he said that the only way that they can do it is if they put the item through as an faulty but would not refund the delivery charge. My mum decided to exchange the heater for another expensive one but still could not receive the credit for the delivery charge.

This is so out order because in the website it does say that you can return to any store and be able to receive the delivery charge back. I am now going to contact customer services to complain about the store's policy and why i did not receive my delivery charge back.

Do you think that I will get any action from the customer services regarding this?

yep! that is out of order and completely incorrect conduct. i was a manager there up until two weeks ago, and this is bang out of order!!!!

So how come they are not accpeting internet goods when it claerly states in their websites? Thanks for you reply.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I know you'll hate me for this but I actually work at Currys.

The reason why you may have had problems returning you internet purchase is for two reasons.

Firstly the company have stopped sales commision and have replaced it with an unfair and stupidly structured bonus system. Basically we're not paid out on pound notes we're paid out on how much profit we earn and get a bonus of about £30 each if we make over 105% of our profit (or something along those lines)

Now any returns/ refunds we have to process eat into the proftis we make the company and in turn our bonus and many staff don't think its fair something beyond our control directly affects our pay.

Secondly our own internet website undercuts us drastically (sometimes up to 25%) now because we are paid out on profit theres no point matching this price because the pound notes are worthless. As a result many staff simply won't have anything to do with internet purchasers because they havn't borght it from their store. Admittedly if we're busy and someone comes in with an internet receipt and a query I refuse to help them, I know its bad customer service but hopefully you can see our point that we are being shafted by the company as much as you are.

The company know about our feelings towards this, they know some stores refuse internet refunds (refunds are technically down to managers discretion anyway by our policy so the internet is a big contradiction) Yet they do nothing about it. Its just pure greed on their behalf shafting both staff and customers to rake in as much as possible.

Hope you see it from our side a bit more now, cheers

The company know about our feelings towards this, they know some stores refuse internet refunds (refunds are technically down to managers discretion anyway by our policy so the internet is a big contradiction) Yet they do nothing about it. Its just pure greed on their behalf shafting both staff and customers to rake in as much as possible.

I get your point, but I will pick you up on the comment "refunds are technically down to managers discretion anyway by our policy".

First point, if the goods are faulty and the consumer has returned them within a reasonable time, the consumer is legally entitled to a refund. Nobody can take this right away,

Second point, the Distance Selling Regulations say that when a consumer buys from a website (with some exceptions) they have seven days in which to cancel the contract and return the goods for a full refund. If Currys at national level are saying in the terms of the contract of their internet sales that customers can take the goods back to a store for a full refund, then that is what customers can do. It's in the terms of the contract, and they also have a legal right to do so under the DSRs. So managers should NOT be refusing to refund as by law they HAVE to.

If Currys website said something similar to Debenhams website - that goods purchased online must be returned to the online address at the consumer's cost - then that is fair enough and forms a term of the contract. However as they are promising customers returns to the store, that is the term of the contract and it's not down to individual staff or managers to dispute that. They can't do a single thing about it, it's legally binding and gives the consumer the legal right to return the item to a store of their choice. I understand fully why you don't like it, but in the nicest possible way, that's just tough.

If your managers think that their policy gives them discretion over this, then they are yet another example of under-educated (or should I say under-trained) retail management and staff who do not understand what rights a consumer has in law.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 7 months later...

nice one rosie. you are offering advice, more then i can say then gyzmo. but just a little nit-pick here.

the whole distant selling act is that the consumer can reject the goods within a certain time not "seven days" but "reasonable time". currys policy is more then seven days last time i checked. but dont quote timescales if SOGA/distant selling does not. Thanks

the terms of conditions of delivery items does not mention instore refunds. only the returns policy on a separate part of the website mentions the instore refunds, which legally i would say is just a company policy and not part of the terms and conditions. yes you could fight in court that you based the purchase on reading the returns policy before purchase. but they would then inform you of the word POLICY and then the word TERMS-CONDITIONS being two different things. But then again would it ever get to court?

the distant selling act is with the online store. the retail store down the road is, i agree an entity of the company but not part of the distant selling act. its just a company POLICY that stores can deal with it not a legal requirement.

to satin:

id suggest contacting currys complaints department and ask for a reference to authorise instore refund. because if the manager says no, go over their head my talking to his manager or someone high up.

a currys delivered product does not contain the same barcodes/ product codes that store products use. if you phone or email the online sales department for a receipt that a store can use maybe this would help. because there would be a code the store can type into store system which treats the delivery charge as a refundable product.

goodluck.

if the store has refunded/exchanged the product. then contact the online store with proof emailed /faxed to them asking them to refund the delivery charge.

nice one rosie. you are offering advice, more then i can say then gyzmo. but just a little nit-pick here.

the whole distant selling act is that the consumer can reject the goods within a certain time not "seven days" but "reasonable time". currys policy is more then seven days last time i checked. but dont quote timescales if SOGA/distant selling does not. Thanks

Absolute rubbish

Cancellation period in the case of contracts for the supply of goods

11. - (1) For the purposes of regulation 10, the cancellation period in the case of contracts for the supply of goods begins with the day on which the contract is concluded and ends as provided in paragraphs (2) to (5).

(2) Where the supplier complies with regulation 8, the cancellation period ends on the expiry of the period of seven working days beginning with the day after the day on which the consumer receives the goods.

Bobus, surely the store would be able to claim back thier costs from the "internet" section of the company, for lost time and money?

That excuse doesnt wash with me.....

The consumer shouldnt be, and isnt concerned with any of the companies internal issues.

Thanks. Let me try dis options. i wil contact the online customer service. atleast i wil get a proof in writing cze on phone calls nobody tkes the responsibility.

The best thing to do would be to contact the online customer services and explain the situation. Hopefully someone there might sort it out.

Alternatively, you could write a letter in explaining what has happened, and demand the refund. You could possibly take action for breach of contract, and could insist that you will make the item available for collection for, say, 1 month, after which time it will be left out in the garden (or whatever), and tht you will still require your refund.

It will also be worth contacting Trading Standards on this, as I think that Currys is part of a naughty boys club that Trading Standards are keeping a rather beedy eye on, and may possibly intervene on your behalf (but I am not sure on this - report it anyway).

HI, i cannot find the online customer service link...

Secondly i received a call today from the Acer guys saying that i have to return the laptop which i have received and then only they wil send my laptop. I asked in how many days wil i be receiving my laptop they said its not sure. But i have to send the laptop back and asked me to call DHL to pick up the laptop from my home.

The best thing to do would be to contact the online customer services and explain the situation. Hopefully someone there might sort it out.

Alternatively, you could write a letter in explaining what has happened, and demand the refund. You could possibly take action for breach of contract, and could insist that you will make the item available for collection for, say, 1 month, after which time it will be left out in the garden (or whatever), and tht you will still require your refund.

It will also be worth contacting Trading Standards on this, as I think that Currys is part of a naughty boys club that Trading Standards are keeping a rather beedy eye on, and may possibly intervene on your behalf (but I am not sure on this - report it anyway).

Hi,

I too will like to share my worst experience with Curry's. This people for getting sales makes so many promises and while giving the services dont care for the customers. I had bought a laptop from Curry's and the manager told me that take a life time plan of Whatever happens. He promised that i wil be getting home delivery services and my laptop wil be repaired in 24 hours. Now with in a year i got prob with my laptop. I called the customer service and they told laptop wil be collected in two working days. Secondly i wil be receiving my laptop In 2 weeks time (just imagine for just a minor prob that some keys were not working they are taking 2 weeks time then what if some serious problem occurs).Ok now the laptop was collected and after a week i received a text on my moblie that my laptop is repaired and wil be despatched in two days. One the third day the Parcelline person came and handed me a laptop which didnt belong to me. I was so shocked that how can this be my laptop. The letter was on my name but not the laptop. The covering letter described the problem that some keys wer not working and wht they had done was CHANGED THE CDR OPTICAL DRIVE.. hw pathetic .. the keys are not at all concerned with the optical drive. I immediately called the number given to me and they said that i have to contact Curry's store.. One by one this guys gave me different numbers to talk and nobody had the answer where my laptop is. I am yet behind my laptop. DOnt understand what to do so that i can get my laptop back.

• 1 month later...
Hey, I know you'll hate me for this but I actually work at Currys.

The reason why you may have had problems returning you internet purchase is for two reasons.

Firstly the company have stopped sales commision and have replaced it with an unfair and stupidly structured bonus system. Basically we're not paid out on pound notes we're paid out on how much profit we earn and get a bonus of about £30 each if we make over 105% of our profit (or something along those lines)

Now any returns/ refunds we have to process eat into the proftis we make the company and in turn our bonus and many staff don't think its fair something beyond our control directly affects our pay.

Secondly our own internet website undercuts us drastically (sometimes up to 25%) now because we are paid out on profit theres no point matching this price because the pound notes are worthless. As a result many staff simply won't have anything to do with internet purchasers because they havn't borght it from their store. Admittedly if we're busy and someone comes in with an internet receipt and a query I refuse to help them, I know its bad customer service but hopefully you can see our point that we are being shafted by the company as much as you are.

Hope you see it from our side a bit more now, cheers

That isn't quite right.

Internet refunds are processed through a pseudo-branch number. The refund does not affect the P&L and therefore does not affect your bonus, although this may appear differently on Reporting. An exchange on a product is beneficial to the store as the refund is placed on the internet branch number, while the sale is attributed to the store.

You are legally required to match our online Currys site, this is processed using Price Promise and is margin protected. I should point out in case anybody on the forum is wondering, we are not legally obliged to match Dixons. Dixons is a separate part of the group, an online-only part of the group, Currys is not online-only, we are Currys. Our Price Promise does not cover website prices.

Hope this may help you in the future. The new bonus scheme does really affect customer service compared to commission, it just happens more than it really has to.

All staff at Currys are trained to work with honesty and integrity - it's a company motto. Although it may not seem like it at times. Please remember that most staff try their hardest to resolve issues and it's not always within our power to prevent or resolve problems. It should also be noted that the an average member of staff has little to no direct contact with customer services, head office or the whateverhappens team or the Tech Guys - they can be as frustrating to staff as they are to the customers!

I just read this site just now, I am able to empathise with most of the problems people have. Many I agree with, some customers, I admit do irritate me - they believe we are by default providing bad customer service and are out to con them, all because they have a problem that was totally out of the Sales staff's control.

I'm ranting, but basically we're all human, and the staff are their to help. We make mistakes, you make mistakes - let's all fight the common enemy - head office!

read more of the website.. store staff cannot refund a delivery with the click of the finger. online and store use different systems. best advise to save arguments is to phone the online customer services and ask for a receipt that is acceptable instore.

a delivery note does not show valid purchase details. or delivery costs etc or even the store codes that they can use to refund the cost.

i know this from talking to staff at the pcworld store who are pretty much the same.. the online customer services department will email you a invoice with a receipt number, and codes. which the store can use.

if you do not provide this then the store cannot take any action without messing around with their system which can be classed as fraud.

and if a certain person replies saying he dont care he knows his rights and blah blah.. he has only one side of the story. and limitation or ability to return goods to specific or non specific destinations is not part of your right.

it is a policy not a law. a returns POLICY. yes bad customer service to not honour it but take it to court is a waste of time.

put simply.. you do not have the right to go wherever you want for a refund. it is a 'good will' to not limit you to just dealing online. so dont argue. it is NOT your right.

it does state you have to provide a receipt. this includes the receipt number and product codes.. delivery notes is not mentioned in their policy so if you want to use their policy then follow their rules. otherwise use SOGA to your advantage to say you have not accepted goods and return them to the website address.

• 3 years later...
Last week, I ordered a heater from Curry's online store but I decided not to keep it. In the website, it clearly states that online goods can be returned to anystore and the delivery charge will also be refunded.

So, my mum went to one of the store for a refund, but the sales assistant at first rejected the refund because she said that they do not return goods from online. My mum brought a copy of the terms and conditions where it states you can return online goods and still they refused. So she demanded to speak to the manager. The manager also said no but in the end he said that the only way that they can do it is if they put the item through as an faulty but would not refund the delivery charge. My mum decided to exchange the heater for another expensive one but still could not receive the credit for the delivery charge.

This is so out order because in the website it does say that you can return to any store and be able to receive the delivery charge back. I am now going to contact customer services to complain about the store's policy and why i did not receive my delivery charge back.

Do you think that I will get any action from the customer services regarding this?

Contacting customer services is often a waste of time. You need to send an email to the CEO ([email protected]). Make sure that you send a letter of complaint, and in it state what you expect to be done. If you need help contact Trading Standards.

Absolute rubbish

You're right. The goods can be rejected anytime within the warranty period. Most good only give a 1 year warranty. You would expect them to last at least 3. Under European law, even if an item is outside the warranty period, it is possible to claim for a refund, precisely because you would expect the goods to last far longer than 1 year.

That isn't quite right.

Internet refunds are processed through a pseudo-branch number. The refund does not affect the P&L and therefore does not affect your bonus, although this may appear differently on Reporting. An exchange on a product is beneficial to the store as the refund is placed on the internet branch number, while the sale is attributed to the store.

You are legally required to match our online Currys site, this is processed using Price Promise and is margin protected. I should point out in case anybody on the forum is wondering, we are not legally obliged to match Dixons. Dixons is a separate part of the group, an online-only part of the group, Currys is not online-only, we are Currys. Our Price Promise does not cover website prices.

Hope this may help you in the future. The new bonus scheme does really affect customer service compared to commission, it just happens more than it really has to.

All staff at Currys are trained to work with honesty and integrity - it's a company motto. Although it may not seem like it at times. Please remember that most staff try their hardest to resolve issues and it's not always within our power to prevent or resolve problems. It should also be noted that the an average member of staff has little to no direct contact with customer services, head office or the whateverhappens team or the Tech Guys - they can be as frustrating to staff as they are to the customers!

I just read this site just now, I am able to empathise with most of the problems people have. Many I agree with, some customers, I admit do irritate me - they believe we are by default providing bad customer service and are out to con them, all because they have a problem that was totally out of the Sales staff's control.

I'm ranting, but basically we're all human, and the staff are their to help. We make mistakes, you make mistakes - let's all fight the common enemy - head office!

This is true, the top Currys management have written the company policy so that sales staff - even managers of stores are powerless to give refunds when they are due. In short they are breaking the law. So, it is a waste of time talking to any member of sales staff including managers, instead email the CEO ([email protected]). Write him an email to try and sort out your problems.

Then when your problems are sorted out, put Currys and PCWorld on yoyr blacklist, and never ever buy anything from them again.

You could also contact the CEO ([email protected]) and send him a complaint. He will then delegate the problem to the head of customer service, and you may get a better response.

I have done this, and the problem is resolved but it took many days of my time waiting for engineers etc to turn up. I vow never to repeat this experience, by putting Currys on my blacklist. That is I will never ever buy anything from them in future. You would be best advised to use your local Currys to go window-shopping. Then buy the item online from somebody else. Amazon is good and they offer free delivery for most goods.

• 1 year later...

Hey-you are fully entitled to a full refund including the delivery price. I have worked in retail all my working life and know for a fact that horrid stores such as Currys and Argos would do anything to fleece their customers as much as they can. Store profit is more important then actual customer satisfaction. Profit creates more hours, obviously more money and makes the managers look good. The last thing you should have done was get a more expensive heater because that is exactly what they wanted you to do. Every single customer that walks into a store like Currys or Argos they try to maximize sales as much as possible by doing things like this. It is sickening.

please stop bringing up threads several years old

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 1 month later...

I had a same experience with Currys at Hounslow, London. The Staff (specially ladies) are useless as they have no clue on techology and products.

Note: The srest of the staff (I believe they are native Britisher) are quite ok.

. I bought headone which had specification of "Noise isolation". When I open it and tried it did not work the way it is supposed to work. I packed the headphone without any damage even to package.When I took went to return the headphone ,they denied saying it is opend and we can not take it due to heygine issues.

The manager (Black guy) was even worst. he said these items are like Nicker (Underwares) once you wear it u can not return it.

what the ....

I will highly recommend not to buy anything from such cheap mentality shops CURRYS LOT OF WORRIES

I wish you Currues This Chrismas sale make yoru profit down by 99%

#