• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step. It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.        
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

JOhnc v CitiCards

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

still waiting for the file to come back down from the judge will be after 12

My Claims:

Isle of Man Bank -

WON £3054.79 (settled at court stage)

BarclayCard -

Claiming £701.89 Part 3 letter sent

Capital One -

WON £1500 (settled at court stage)

CitiCards -

Claiming £1549.41 (at court stage)

they go it set aside. now awaiting the court to get their thing together, gizmo will pm you.

My Claims:

Isle of Man Bank -

BarclayCard -

Capital One -

CitiCards -

OK folks here is their defence

1. The Defendant is a credit card company whose registered office is at 87 Castle street, Reading, RG1 7DX

2. The Defendant admits that the Claimant had a credit card account(“the Agreement”) with the Defendant during the relevant period

3. The Defendant avers that the agreement with the Claimant contains terms entitling the Defendant to levy default fees and avers that the Claimant was aware of and agreed to the same as before entering into the agreement

4. The Defendant denies that the same are:

4.1 a disproportionate penalty and unenforceable or irrecoverable as penalty charges at common lay and/or

4.2 invalid under the Unfair Contracts Terms act 1977 and/or

4.3 unenforceable under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999; and/or

4.4 unreasonable under section 15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

and puts the Claimant to proof of this by specific reference to the case law relied upon and/or the exact citation of the relevant parts of the sections of laws and regulations relied upon.

5 The Defendant denies that it has unlawfully debited the Claimant’s account. The Defendant avers that the Claimant expressly authorised the Defendant to levy such charges on the express understanding that the trigger for any such charge would be the Claimant ’s own breach of agreement

6 The Defendant avers that between 2001 and 2003, the Claimant breached the Agreement on no fewer than 28 occasions thereby authorising the Defendant to debit £700 to the Claimant ’s account by way of default fees , as per the Terms & Conditions of the Agreement.(this Figure is Wrong only had 22 occasions and £550 debited)

7 The Claimant is claiming as a money claim a sum equivalent to that which she claims was unlawfully debited to account over the term of the Agreement in late payment and overlimit fees. This claim is entirely based on the recent OFT statement on the alleged unfairness of such default fees. The OFT stated that the level at which default charges, though no the principle of default charging itself, was unfair in the context of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999. It also reported that the charges were, in its opinion, a penalty contrary to common lay principles of damages for breach of contract

8 The Defendant has agreed to abide by the OFT report and adopt a lower level of default fees which it has set at the new industry standard of £12. Over the lifetime of this account the Claimant has set its default charges at £25.

9 The Claimant’ account with the Defendant was consistently in arrears and was charged off and assigned to Cabot Limited (“Cabot”). At the time the debt was sold to Cabot, the balance of the account was £XXXX.XX in debit, i.e. outstanding from the Claimant. This sum far exceeds the amount levied in charges and actually means the Claimant has claimed principle and interest thereon. The Defendant avers that given this fact alone, the Claimant cannot maintain an action for recovery of sums she failed to pay the Defender. Furthermore, the Defender avers that the Claimant has acknowledged the debt by repaying it to a third party.

10 The Defendant made a ex gratia refund to Cabot which is the difference between (i) the current default fee of £12 and (ii) amount at which default fees claimed was charged to the Claimant . Cabot confirmed that the Claimant has paid them and thus this sum of £364 was refunded to the Claimant by cheque in April 2007 ( and been return to them)

11 The Defendant avers that the Claimant’s claim is not a money claim but a damages action and further avers that the Claimant ’s interest calculation is not applicable to the action or, if it is applicable, that it is wholly wrong and the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that this or any interest is owed. Specifically, the Defendant avers that the principle of mutuality and reciprocity do not apply to this Agreement which was entirely contractual and the Court has no power to amend the contract to amend the same.

12 Furthermore, the Defendant avers Claimant has claimed interest from the date each default fee was incurred, rather that date of any payment of such default fee by the Claimant. As the Defendant is a credit institution and not a deposit taker, it cannot set off default fees against money held on account. As such it cannot be held liable for interest on a notionally paid debt rather an actual one. The Claimant has a current outstanding balance on his (excuse me but I’m female) account held by 1st Credit (who) and, as such, never paid the balance of his (wrong sex) account (you can’t have it both ways! Refer to para 10) including the default fees imposed. It is averred by the Defendant that it is only from the time of any such payment that interest could have accrued on such payment as if it were a debt.

13 Save as otherwise admitted, the Claimant’s Particulars of Claim are denied and each and every allegation in the Particulars of Claim is specifically denied.

just so theirs no confusion this is my wife's account.

My Claims:

Isle of Man Bank -

BarclayCard -

Capital One -

CitiCards -

John, I have a similar situation myself. Just for the record, and it might only be a minor difference, but there is NO company called Cabot Limited. The debts are generally (Pre January 15th 2007) sold to Kingshill No1 Limited which changed its name on 15th Jan 2007 to Cabot Financial UK Limited. Now it might seem a trivial point, but there are DPA issues here as well as we 'Caboteers' well know. So reference to Cabot Limited 'Cabot' should be quantified by Citi and you ought to have a notice of assignment stating to whom the debt was 'sold' or assigned.

You will ONLY receive letters from another of Cabots 16 companies called Cabot Financial (Europe)Ltd which is a SISTER company to Cabot Financial UK Ltd, but which would have needed your permission to transfer/use your data. They are totally separate companies all be it within the same group of companies. CF(Europe)Ltd when asked through various SAR and CCA requests will inform you that Cabot Financial UK Ltd do not hold any data - but they buy the debt and they register any defaults with the CRA's so they must have your data to do that. If they do have it they then need your permission to pass your data onto anyone else. Both companies have registered Data Controllers with the Information Commissioners.

Check out tbern and seahorses threads for an up to date detailed analysis of all things Cabot - we are a kinda 'EXPERTS' on all things Cabot.

The other thing is that Cabot have no right to any monies claimed from Citi by you.

If you think about it Cabot will be unjustifiably enriched by this transaction.

They (cabot) pay about 10% of the face value of the debt - I have no problem with that per sa as its a negotiated business deal. Great if you can get it. But if your charges when tallied up relate to more than the debt that was sold ie: £500 debt sold for £50, Cabot take payments from you, your charges are £700 and Citi send Cabot £350 as a goodwill gesture. Cabot are enriched. My argument is that if Citi want to make charitable donations to other companies thats there business, but charges should be repaid to whoever the contract they profess was broken by - YOU.

Hope this helps..good luck

Sarah

well they filed with the court last minute again pity now waiting for the court to send Q& A or date.

My Claims:

Isle of Man Bank -

BarclayCard -

Capital One -

CitiCards -

i act on behalf of CitiFinancial Europe plc and write further to you letter of 29 April

i will respond to the main point only rather that all since i have seen this letter at least a dozen times now its is simply tiresome to have to answer all the half baked misinformation it contains. i would be grateful if, I future, you could at least attempt to litigate on your own behalf and not by rote.

my client does defend these cases although, naturally, it chooses not defend all as some are too small to be worth attending court. i can assure you that we will be attending court on the 8 May and will seek set aside on the grounds that you have failed to pay the sums you claiming as a debt. this simple yet telling point seems to elude many people. you claim is simply and opportunistic attempt to make money out of my client and will be defended.

you may if you wish show this letter to the court also as it is open

Have to say, that is the funniest letter I've seen from Brian in a while!

Abbey - Claim 1

full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full £710 :D

Abbey (Claim 2)

full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full £4000 :D

Abbey (Claim 3)

Court date 27 June -

Capital One (claim 1)

£467 Settled in full 20 Sep :D

Capital One (claim 2)

£72 refunded 19 Aug :-D

Associates (Citicards)

claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS

there are four cases that i know of on this website were the judge ruled in favour of citi

Forgive me for being a bit behind ..but can you put the links in if you know them.

Thanks

Sarah

not technicaly minded enough to give you the links, ive only just mastered cutlery, but i can give you the names of the threads if that helps.

apart from the NI case and myself there are "12.88 accepted " and " citi get right stuffing" ?? not sure about the last one as the judge ruled in favour of citi ??

:mad:LF53

not technicaly minded enough to give you the links, ive only just mastered cutlery, but i can give you the names of the threads if that helps.

apart from the NI case and myself there are "12.88 accepted " and " citi get right stuffing" ?? not sure about the last one as the judge ruled in favour of citi ??

Thanks, Just for the record, go to the thread you wish to link and click your cursor in the http://www.. box at the top of the screen highlighting the line. press the Ctrl key on your keyboard and the 'c' key at the same time, come back to the posting you wish to show the link on click the cursor on the line you want to put the link and press 'Ctrl and the 'v' key at the same time and hey presto !

Sarah

recieved to day

your claim has been allocated to the small claims track on 15 May 2007 A fee of £100.00 is payable unless you had made an application for a fee exemption or remission

if by 01 Jun 2007 you have not paid the fee or applied for a fee exemption or remission, your claim will automatically be struck out without further order of the court and you will be liable for costs which the defendant has incurred.

have returned to forms with exemption application

now it a wait and see what happens next

My Claims:

Isle of Man Bank -

BarclayCard -

Capital One -

CitiCards -

Baldybaldwin one is a win to them one is a win to us