• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DCA refuses to provide Deed of Assignment and can't decide how much they are owed.

Typhoon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Posted this in another section and got no response. A bit of a complicated situation here but I'll try to explain as best I can.

I had a loan with GE Capital Woodchester on which I had made payments up until I took out a Debt Management Plan with Payplan over a year ago. Payments were made to all of my creditors on time every month but GE Capital Woodchester decided to sell their debt to a company called Asset Link Capital (No. 1) Limited. GE claim they sent me a letter to that effect but I did not receive any letters from GE or Asset Link. A few months ago I received a letter from McClure Naismith solicitors claiming that I owed their client (Asset Link) a total of just over £9000. This figure could not have been possible as I had made payments totalling £2250 to the account over a period of 14 months and the initial amount borrowed was only £8450, £550 less than what they claimed I owed them.

I initially disputed the amount owing and requested a true copy of the credit agreement which they provided inside the timescale set out in the CCA 1974. On consulting Payplan, they said I owed roughly £8.5k but that this figure also included charges applied by GE Capital Woodchester. I provided this figure to Asset Link's solicitors and they then claimed that their records reflected this and that the figure was correct. Shortly afterwards I decided that I would not be held responsible for fees and charges illegally placed on the account by GE Capital Woodchester. I informed Asset Link's solicitors of this and requested a copy of the deed of assignment. They sent me back a generic Deed of Assignment that doesn't contain my name or any other details, it doesn't include the amount owed and there are a couple of sentences blacked out with a marker pen. They also said that the Deed of Assignment bearing my details would not be sent to me as it contained the details of other debtors. They now claim that the Deed of Assignment is for a total of £7150.

I'm starting to believe that Asset Link were attempting to profit by deception, ie. they said I owed almost £2000 more than their Deed of Assignment (if they actually have one) is for and have given me 3 different total debt owing figures inside of a month.

I have paid them token amounts of £1 per month since the initial contact with their solicitors. They have so far been unable to provide me with a statement of the account.

What action should I take next?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Typhoon

1]When you asked Asset Link for the original agreement, did you do it as a

CCA request including the £1 fee?

The company buying a debt is not obliged to present you with a deed of

assignment.

Send an sar with a £10 postal order to GE capital. Among other things, you

will receive details of the charges they applied to your account. Some of them

will probably have been unlawful and these can be reclaimed [if you read the

FAQS on the first page of the forum, you will get an explanation of what

constitutes an unlawful charge]. You will also find out how much the debt was

when it was transferred to AL and when the transfer took place. [You should

also get details of the letter they sent advising you that they had assigned the debt].

I am surprised that Payplan have not asked the companies they are dealing with to cease charging interest? Do you know if they did ask, and how many companies agreed? Was GE one of them?

That will do for now-but please don't forget to answer question 1.

Hello typhoon,

It might be an idea to send a SAR to Asset Link. (Letter in templates section). Ask them for all info they hold on you. You could also send one to GE, if you haven't done so yet. Don't forget the £10 cheque/postal order.

Good luck, Jeff.

I did it in the form of a CCA 1974 request and included the £1 fee which they have accepted. Asset Link insist that all correspondance is made through their solicitors.

They supplied a copy of the original agreement but are now over the 12 days + 1 month for supplying a full statement of account.

I assume the debt is now unenforceable without a court order? I wouldn't have thought the court would look favourably on them failing to provide a statement of account and initially demanding over £2000 more than their claimed Deed of Assignment is for.

Another point is that I now live in Germany. They are insistant that they can bring an action against me in a German court. I have had legal advice of the opinion that the contract existed under the law of England and Wales and therefore any case would have to be heard in a British court.

The agreement was made when I resided in the UK, I have been advised that a German court would only hear a case where one party was located in Germany at the execution of the agreement.

All companies agreed to stop charging interest with the exception of GE Capital Woodchester, they just went quiet for a year, collected a years worth of payments at £106 a month then sold the debt to these parasites.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Typhoon

I wouldn't waste £10 on Asset Link as they already need a Court order to

enforce the debt.

It is probably a good idea if you read the agreement. For should it refer to any

other document in the contract, [like the T&Cs for example] then they should

have sent you a copy of those also. I note that you are aware that they should have included a signed statement from them laying out how much

the debt was, how much you have paid off, how many payments you have

missed and if you have a payment plan with them, the dates and amounts

when those are to be paid.

the other thing you should read the agreement for is to find out what you

signed in terms of passing your data on to debt collectors etc. While AL

whether as collectors or assignees will be allowed to contact you re the debt,

there is no provision for them probably to pass that info on to their solicitors

without your permission. And I assume that every time their solicitors write

to you [at a probable cost of around £100 a letter] you are being charged,

I think it best that you write direct to AL.

So write to AL, first of all pointing out that they will be aware that they have not yet fully complied with the terms of the CCA request and as such they

are not permitted to pursue you for the debt. [Do not mention the Court Order]. Then inform them that you can see nothing in the agreement that

permits them to disclose your information to any third party [ie their solicitors]

without your express permission. [Your permission only allowed GE Capital to

disclose data to Asset Link, not for AL to disclose to anyone else]. So you

expect no further contact from the soloicitors as it represents a serious breach of the Data Protection Act.

That should keep them quiet for a few days.

As for your Germany thing. They can apply in a British Court to have a ccj

registered against you [or they could if they had supplied you with all the

cca request data] and possibly a payment plan too. I am unsure how the EEC

Courts interact with each other in being able to enforce a payment plan on

you in Germany. And if you fail to make payments then they could go back to

Court and get a warrant to get bailiffs to collect the debt whenever you

returned to Britain.

Nothing to worry about though since they have blown it.

lookinforinfo,

Thanks for your excellent reply. Unfortunately they didn't send me a copy of the Ts & Cs (surprise!). I'll get a letter fired off directly to Asset Link outlining the points you have made above.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Typhoon

I have drafted the following letter to be sent tomorrow. Any guidance would be appreciated:

ASSET LINK CAPITAL (NO 1) LTD

CAMELFORD HOUSE

89 ALBERT EMBANKMENT

LONDON

SE1 7TP

5 February 2007

GE Capital Woodchester Agreement No: xxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam

You will be aware that you have not yet fully complied with the terms of my statutory request in accordance with the Consumer Credit Act 1974. This request was made on 22 December 2006 and the statutory timescale for its completion has now expired. Your organisation is in default of and has committed an offence under the Terms of Section 77 of said act in that you have failed to supply me with a signed statement of the account. This in itself will form a complete defence to any legal action you seek to take against me. You are therefore forbidden from taking any further enforcement action in relation to this debt and as the amounts are disputed, you are forbidden from assigning your rights in relation to the agreement to any other organisation.

Furthermore, I see nothing in the terms and conditions of the agreement that permits your organisation to share my personal details with other organisations, namely your appointed solicitor McClure Naismith of 292 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow.

It is also my position that you have attempted to profit by deception in that you have claimed via your solicitors that the amount owed under this agreement was over £2000 more than you later claimed your Deed of Assignment in relation to this agreement states. I have full documentary evidence of all communication with your solicitors.

I require that you now take the following steps:

1: Immediately cease any enforcement action in relation to this debt.

2: Order that any organisation you have unlawfully shared my personal information with, destroy any such information.

3: Order the immediate removal of any default notice you have registered with any Credit Reference Agency in relation to this agreement.

Failure to comply with any of the abovementioned points will result in reports being submitted to both the Information Commissioner’s Office and the Office of Fair Trading. This is likely to result in substantial fines being levied on your organisation.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Yours Sincerely

Typhoon

Regards

Typhoon

• 2 weeks later...

I sent the above letter on the 5th and it was received by Asset Link Capital/Link Financial who sent a reply saying they were looking into it and would reply in full in due course.

This was duly followed the next day with an email from their solicitors saying that the letter had been passed to them for consideration of the points raised.

It is my understanding that under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, Asset Link are allowed to share information with their solicitor for the purpose of receiving legal advice. I also understand however that they are NOT allowed to pass any more data than is absolutely necessary for the purpose at hand. This would not include names, dates of birth, agreement numbers, original agreements and basically delegating the entire case including all correspondance with the alleged debtor to their solicitors.

Does anybody disagree with this?

Regards

Typhoon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for this and sorry for the late reply. I haven't heard a thing from either Asset Link or their solicitors. Is this a good thing?

Regards

Typhoon

Iover £2000 more than their claimed Deed of Assignment is for.

Another point is that I now live in Germany. They are insistant that they can bring an action against me in a German court. I have had legal advice of the opinion that the contract existed under the law of England and Wales and therefore any case would have to be heard in a British court.

The agreement was made when I resided in the UK, I have been advised that a German court would only hear a case where one party was located in Germany at the execution of the agreement.

quite right.

the case would have to be heard here, they could possibly enforce it in germany although i doubt they will as it would probably cost a fortune.

Hi All,

Interesting thread and a very powerful one at that. Can someone be kind enough to give a link to the full case of Holt v Heatherfield Trust Ltd [1942] 2 KB. Gosh I am gonna wet my pants.. Some of these DCA's have it coming...:smile:

So, what this really means is, whilst this would be a defence to any court action by a debt purchasing company, the buggers can then send you a Notice of Assignment by recorded delivery at a later date, came back and have another go, and if they win, hit you for costs of BOTH actions. If I understand you correctly.

SO, in other words, it would be unwise to rely solely on this as a defence, and another trick would need to be concealed up the sleeve.

So, what this really means is, whilst this would be a defence to any court action by a debt purchasing company, the buggers can then send you a Notice of Assignment by recorded delivery at a later date, came back and have another go, and if they win, hit you for costs of BOTH actions. If I understand you correctly.

SO, in other words, it would be unwise to rely solely on this as a defence, and another trick would need to be concealed up the sleeve.

Is it not the case that once a defence has been heard and if the claim has then ended/settled etc, that same claim can not then come back to court?

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

RS. Can you confirm if Debt Mountain is correct and if a claim is struck out it is unlikely to be brought again.

Can I also get this quite clear in my own mind. If the DCA starts proceedings but has not complied with S136 of the LoP 1925 if the DCA provides that Notice of Assignment say, a month after starting proceedings, this is grounds for applying to have the action struck out. They cannot start proceedings without this and then say whoops here it is.

Wow! I will do exactly as you recommend and print this off. Not only does this give a very comprehensive detail of the Notice of Assignment I am also very interested in the information with regard to the application form being passed off as a copy of the executed agreement. This practice is rife across CAG, particularly on the MBNA thread. Thanks Richard.

Wow! I will do exactly as you recommend and print this off. Not only does this give a very comprehensive detail of the Notice of Assignment I am also very interested in the information with regard to the application form being passed off as a copy of the executed agreement. This practice is rife across CAG, particularly on the MBNA thread. Thanks Richard.

Am subscribing.

Thanks Richard! What a mine of information you are!

Rhia, this is just what we needed!:)

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.