• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Jess v A+L ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am just startin my claim against A+L after they charged me £115 this week, as i am on benefits i now dont have enough to live on.

My thought is the law says the social give me just the right amount to live on BUT we have to now have it paid into our banks... The banks take horrendous charges and leaves me without enough to feed my kids.... How come no one official is doing anything about it?

Ok i dont need the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) as i managed to download all my statements off there site. I have the prelim letter ready but i wanted to ask if i just put a total in the letter and send it like that or do i need to send a breakdown at this point? Sorry if its already been covered somewhere.

Feels like a lost little girl x

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian cognito

Hi jess and welcome, have a read of this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/36790-bank-taking-your-benefits.html?highlight=benefit

There is a spreadsheet template in the library for completing your schedule to send to the bank with your letters.

Have a good read of the FAQs and A&L threads too.

Good luck

HI Jess

I am sure if you approached your bank they would give you your benefits back, they are not allowed to take them to cover their charges, and leave you with nothing to live on..............

With your first letter you need to attach a breakdown/summary of charges incurred.

Welcome, some great people on this site, all willing to help you.

Thanks for all the help...Prelim and Schedule of Charges here to send today.

Im going to look into the bank and benefits situations janquinny, thanks for the advice... need to read the inffo several times because i get easily confused.

Best of luck -from some of the posts today A&L lok like of the easier ones- especially if you read some of the others eg Lloyds tsb threads:)

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

• 2 weeks later...

Ok can someone tell advise me, I sent the prelim off with soc and the 2 weeks is up on frid. I haven't heard a word from them, no bog off or acknowledgement... is this the new norm? or are they just ignoring me :eek: Im going to prepare the lba 2morro and send it off frid.

It goes into the account as a dss and a disability benefit payment, they cant say they dont know lol.

Random thought..... If they settle and then dont close my account and i incur more charges.... just how often can you make these claims.... im notoriously bad at payin on right days, partly health issues and partly cos im hopeless

Guest ian cognito

They have publically stated they will close accounts of claimants but whether they have cahnged this now they have had their wrists slapped, i don't know. i have read on the forum somewhere of someone paying their overdraft off in preparation for the account being closed, and when it wasn't they ran it back up again, only to be told the account was to be closed after all and the overdraft cancelled - so be careful.

They took ages to close mine, just checked now and it has been closed but I still have £1.32 in my savings account, think I'll leave it there as it's gaining interest, it was only £1 two years ago.

The thing about these charges is that they're made automatically and a computer can't make a judgement call on what is fair or not unless it has been programmed to, (and I doubt the banks bother to do this). Water under the bridge tho, I was just wonderin. :rolleyes:

As for future charges - any that you get before you actually make out your court claim can be added to this set of claims. Once it goes to court it's possible to add other ones but you would be charged for this, so it would be better to start over again with a new claim under those circumstances.

Unless and until someone tells us we can't make these claims you are free to take them to court as many times as you like.

Well didn't hear a word from them but i sent prelim off yesterday, i was really really hoping to have cash from them by next week as im off on holiday on weds and as yet have no spending money..... so im praying they are going to give me something before i go away altho i am not holding my breath.

I very much doubt you'll get anything before you start court proceedings, Jess68.

Only once or twice have I seen cases on here where they have given the money back freely - but these really are few n far between. You're best preparing for the long haul, (then if they did cave it would be a nice surprise, but you're right in not holding your breath!). :cool:

Yeh im getting into a comfy chair for the long haul ;) While im waiting for them im going to read up on the proceecure for catalogues and such... I've started now so might as well go the whole way

Ok received standard bog off this morning, my next stage is mcol/court?? can i clarify a couple of points...

1. Do i now need to wait for 14 days or can i proceed now?

2. How much is it likely to cost me and do i have to pay as i'm n benefits?

Thanks so much for help, i am sorry if it seems i'm reviewing same points over and over but i get so confused and forgetful which is what worried me about proceeding, although saying that, the fact that i have a total record here of what i have done and when is such an amazing help.

Ok received standard bog off this morning, my next stage is mcol/court?? can i clarify a couple of points...

1. Do i now need to wait for 14 days or can i proceed now?

2. How much is it likely to cost me and do i have to pay as i'm n benefits?

Thanks so much for help, i am sorry if it seems i'm reviewing same points over and over but i get so confused and forgetful which is what worried me about proceeding, although saying that, the fact that i have a total record here of what i have done and when is such an amazing help.

Hi, Jess.

Opinion is divided, but it would probably be better to wait the 14 days, as it is thought this proves to a judge how reasonable you have been about the whole thing if it ever has to go into court. (Don't worry! You won't have to, it's just an 'in case' sort of thing.)

As you are on benefits, you shouldn't have to pay any fees. Don't know what the relevant forms are but someone will, I'm sure. :cool:

kk thanks youngandfree i will wait til after my hols and see if i hear anything else

grrrr i am so mad, i left £21 in my account to pay a DD which was £19... i forgot about a cheque for £2.50 i had outstanding and they bounced the cheque and the DD and charged me, i am now overdrawn by £58 and as i am going away on tues this had made a big dent in the little spending money i had. Any other time they would have paid the DD anc charged me £25 for paying it, instead they bounce it and charge me £34, i cant help feeling there is pettiness creeping in as i am making a claim against them!

I cant wait for the next 9 days to go so i can start court proceedings, they are also charging me £50 in charges while i am away

• 2 weeks later...

Ok back off my hols and nothing from the bank, guess they think i have given up.... there gonna get a shock :D

Ok had a quick browse through but can someone tell me for definate what i have to do next? I know its small claims court but beyond that i am not sure! Help pls !!!

Thanks alot Ian, thats the link i had looked for and couldn't see what was under my nose lol

Can i ask a dumb question pls, is the OD interest the 8% a day or something different? Im a little confused :(

(enter daily rate here - (CHARGES+OD interest)x 0.00022 = pence per day)

Guest ian cognito

No the overdraft interest is the interest on your charges, if you haven't claimed it from the beginning just multiply your charges x 0.00022

ok thanks alot Ian, i have all the forms going to get them printed and taken in today....:o