• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Business Accounts ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Need Help Please.

Following Directions received.

District Judge A S Jones has considered the statements of case and AQ's filed and allocated the claim to the multi-track.

Any party affected by this order may apply to the court to have it set aside, varied or stayed. Such application must be made in accordance with CPR Part 23 within 7 days of service of this order by 4.00pm on 24th May 2007.

1. The claim is being transfered to the Civil Trial Centre at Coventry County Court where all future applications, correspondence and so on will be dealt with.

2. It is recorded that the Defendant has indicated willingness to mediate the Claim but that the Claimant is not willing to mediate. The Court at trial may require a party to justify any decision not to mediate, and, if it considers that decision inappropriate, take it into account when considering costs.

3. By 4.00 pm on 31 May 2007 the Claimant is to provide the Court and the Defendant with a written schedule setting out:-

a) Details of each and every statutory provision, regulation or contract term upon which the Claimant relies to demonstrate that the charges should not have been levied by the Defendant and:

b) Details of the facts upon which the Claimant relies to demonstrate that the charges are unfair or otherwise wrongfully levied by the Defendant.

4. The Claimant shall give to the Defendant standard disclosure of documents relating to special damages with a disclosure statement no later than 4.00 pm on 25 June 2007.

5. All requests for inspection of (or copies of) documents must be made by 4.00 pm on 2 July 2007.

6. The parties mutually disclose by 4.00 pm on 23 July 2007 the signed statements of all witnesses of fact on whose evidence they intend to rely together with any notices to rely on hearsay evidence. (No party may adduce the evidence of any witness of fact whose statement has not been disclosed unless the trial judge gives special permission).

7. No expert evidence being necessary no party has permission to call or rely on expert evidence.

8. Each party must file a completed Listing Questionnaire (pre-trial checklist) by 4.00 pm on 6 August 2007. The parties must file with their listing questionnaires a succinct case summary and schedule of issues (which they must seek to agree), and if any party seeks leave to call oral exper evidence, copies of the relevant reports and any joint statements and/or replies to questions.

9. The claim will be tried during the 3 week period ("the trial window") commencing on 17 September 2007 to 5 October 2007. The provisional time stimate for the trial is 1 day and the parties must inform the court if that estimate varies.

10. The parties are reminded of the provisions of the Practice Directions to [CPR 28 (Fast Track)] [CPr29 (Multi Track)] concerning variation of direction and failure to comply with directions, and in particular of the time within applications to the court should be made.

caro and zoot I would very much appreciate some contact regarding the above.

Thank You

Lizzy

To Love & Be Loved Is The Essence Of Life

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I'm not as legally astute as Zoot, but you have my email address if you want to get in touch.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thank you caro I very much appreciate your offer and may well take you up on it when the time comes. Zoot contacted me and said that Bankfodder wanted to speak to me regarding the claim. I am expecting a call in the next couple of days, I will update you as soon as I know anything.

One thing you may be able to answer for me. As you know I am doing this claim for a very dear friend of mine. All the paperwork so far has been in his name. However I know that there is no way he would be able to stand up in court and state his claim. I am more than willing and capable (I think) of doing it. Is there anyway that I can now get my name included as his representative without disrupting everything.

I would appreciate any info you can give me on that.

Regards

Lizzy

I understand that you can be what is known as a McKenzie friend or litigants friend and just go with him on the day and speak for him. Perhaps when you submit the bundle you could just include a letter from him stating that this will be happening.

I don't think you could change the paperwork to reflect this, unless you were a paid professional.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Just to say that my friend received an offer of £10.5K today which he is going to accept. Not the outcome I wanted, I was quite willing and in an odd way quite looking forward to taking the claim to the wire. However it is his money and he has made his decision.

Can I take this opportunity to thank everyone, especially caro and zoot, for all their help and encouragement. A donation will follow in due course.

I can now concentrate on my own claims against Yorkshire and Abbey.

Once again many thanks to you all for your help and support.

Best Regards

Lizzy

I was looking forward to coming to court with you Lizzy, but maybe we can do it on your claim. If your friend is happy with the outcome that's the main thing.

I can understand him settling now rather than waiting months and risking the case in fast track. Did he get all his charges, and just lose the interest?

Oh and congratulations. Don't sign the discontinuance until you get the cheque.

Hello Caro, Zoot, Lizzie and anyone else who may be able to advise me.

I am claiming 11K as a Limited Company against YB and am at the AQ stage and have been asked to complete N150. My confusion is:

1. should I try to go for small claims

2. should I use the Draft Order for Directions as suggested by GARYH and Bankfodder in the General - New strategy for AQs posts 2 and 3

3 Do I request an order of Standard Disclosure or use the special directions outlined by GARYH which requests that the case be taken to small claims

I thought everything was pretty clear until I have read a few threads and now I'm a little worried about making the correct entries on the AQ.

My thread is in Yorkshire Bank section HIGGGY V YORKSHIRE BANK, and if you read this you will notice that I have submitted a N244 to amend the POC. My AQ has to be submitted by 7th June (Thurs).

Does anyone know that if the judge accepts my N244, will the AQ have to be re-submitted?

• 1 month later...