• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Business Accounts ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, as you know I am claiming back my charges from the bank for my personal account. I was singing the praises of CAG to a friend. He is in business, working for himself and has also suffered horrendous charges from Yorkshire Bank which have almost resulted in him going bankrupt at one stage. Can anyone tell me if he can use the same procedure for his business account as we are for our personal ones or is there a different set of rules for him.

Any help would be appreciated.

To Love & Be Loved Is The Essence Of Life

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it is the same, the only difference being that if he runs a limited company he should not quote any of the consumer protection laws as ltd companies do not benefit from them.

I had to rush earlier, the main concern for him should not be bringing the claim, but simply should he, banks are esstailal part of a business when it comes to cash flow, if he is getting charges one can make the educated guess that his business at the time was suffering from poor cash flow, if this is still the case and the bank do lend support (ie, a overdraft, phoning him to inform him of amounts needed in the account, allow chqs to take him into a unauthorised overdraft instead of returning them etc) then only he knows the worth to this business of the support and if he can continue with out it.

He should consider the banks true worth before he issues any claim, and he may just find like many others before him the windfall of a few thousand is not worth rocking the apple cart for.

WITNESS STATEMENT.doc

Thanks for the reply Zooman. I can see where you are coming from but my friend is a publican and everything was ok until last year when the licensing laws changed. He had incurred some charges prior to this but nothing compared to the last eighteen months. He had to employ external licensed Door Staff just to open the pub on the weekends and get CCTV fitted etc, etc. It is not a very big pub and all this legislation hit him hard. He did on more than one occasion approach the bank and explain his problems to them and they more or less said Tough. He has now remortgaged the premises which was extremely difficult to do because of his record with the bank. He used some of the money to pay for his staff to be trained so he no longer has to employ outside door staff. He is now financially back on an even keel. We now feel it is pay back time for the bank as they did not support him in his time of need. He has been banking with them for many years and they did nothing to reward his loyalty.

I think we will now say 'TOUGH' to them and claim his money back.

Hi again Zooman. Sorry I was having a rant in my last post and idn't get round to asking for the information I wanted. It is not a limited company.. The bank account name is ****** T/A ******. Could you advise me which template I should use when completing the court forms. Thanx.

Since my last post I have been trawling the other threads relating to Business Accounts and came across Booth v Yorkshire Bank. It has made me a bit nervous to say the least. I was wondering if apart with quoting the UCTA along with Dunlop Pneumatic v New garage etc if it would be ok to say that Business Account claimants with accounts at other banks have been successful when quoting this legislation.

Just a thought. Any comments would be appreciated.

Have received the following today from Neil McKirdy.

Dear Mr *****

I refer to your letter dated 29 January 2007, seeking to reclaim charges applied to the above business account.

You have sought to rely on the following legislation as a basis for your claim:

1. Section 4 of the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 ("UCTA").

2. Para 8 and Schedule 2(i)(e) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 ("the Regulations"); and

3. Section 15 of the supply of goods and Services Act 1982("SGSA")

Section 4 of UCTA relates to contract terms where one of the parties to that contract is a consumer. Section 25(1) of UCT provides that "Consumer" has the meaning assigned to that expression in the definition in the same section of "Consumer Contract". "Consumer Contract" is defined as a contract in which one party to the contract deals, and the other party to the contract ("the Consumer") does not deal or hold himself out as dealing, in the course of a business.

You deal with the bank in the course of your business. You cannot therefore rely on Section 4 of UCTA.

Section 3(1) of the Regulations provides that in these regulation, "Consumer" means any natural person who, in contracts covered by these Regulations, is acting for purposes which are outside his trade, business or professions.

As noted you deal with the Bank in the course of your business. You cannot therefore rely on the Regulations.

Section 15 of SGSA provides for a term about consideration to be implied into a contract where, under contract for the supply of a service, the consideration for the service is not determined by the contract.

The Terms and Conditions of the Contract between you and the bank provide the consideration to be paid where you use the unauthorised overdraft service provided by the bank. Section 15 is therefore of no relevance to this claim.

Further, your assertion that the charges are a penalty and therefore unenforceable is misconceived; the law of penalties is only an issue in relation to breach of contract. You have not breached your contract with the Bank as the terms and conditions provide for the event that you exceed your limit on your account.

In the circumstances you have no basis for a claim against the Bank.

******END******

I Would very much appreciate your comments and some advice on where to go from here. Thanx.

LizzyBee, my advice in chat was not good, sorry :( but been thinking about it, have you started to claim?

your mistake was quoting the "Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations" just get rid of this wording and use common law and the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977

Hi Zooman.

I have not yet issued the claim in the court as I am a bit nervous about the POC. The thread Booth v Yorkshire Bank has made me a bit wary.

Any possibility you could give me some idea of what to say in the POC.

Thanx

PS have noticed that you said to quote UCTA 1977. But that is one of the things he says I cannot rely on.

I have moved these posts to your own thread Lizzee, as others can easily link into it from the sticky if they are looking for information, and this is your own case progress.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Zooman,

if you have won a 'business claim' against YB, or any other bank for that matter, I need your POC details urgently.

I originally started with the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations AND the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, but after being threatened with a strike out by the bank, amended it to just UCTA. It still got struck out!

How can mine have failed when yours didn't? There cannot be one rule for most banks and another for Yorkshire, surely?

Isn't it the law, not the bloody-mindedness of a bank's legal department, that counts here?

Help!

I agree Goodison, that's why I am waiting with baited breath for post from Zooman. When I have received it I am hoping with Zooman's permission to ask the mods to use it as a template for business claimants. Just keep watching the threads, I know you are feeling particularly frustrated at the moment but we will get there in the end.

Regards

Lizzy.

Fair comment Zoo. Every user must accept responsibility for their own decisions and check their own facts. I think I'm right in saying that your claim wasn't against YB was it Zoo (oops I see it was RBS), although of course the law applies equally to all banks. I suggest people take the time to research the legislation that is quoted in this POC and make sure that it applies to their own claim too, and adapt if necessary.

Massive thanks to Zooman for the help though and posting his POC.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Fully understand what you are saying Zoo. We are all responsible for what we put on our own claims. It's just that there is very little in the templates library for Business Claims. Even a rough guide (which I believe is what all the other templates are) would be a big help.

Thanx for the POC.

Regards

Lizzy

Have just read the POC. Very clever Zoo, you didn't quote any law at all. Fair play it worked for you.

Hi Emmtay, No news yet, I haven't heard from the court or YB. Presume I will here something next week, if not I will chase them up. Which bank are you claiming against and for how much, if that's not being to nosey?

Good Luck with your claim whatever it is.

Lizzy