New MOT and exhaust fell off:(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We had both cars off the road so needed something for a week without buying a hire car etc. We bought an old cavalier for £300 had no tax but an 11 months MOT. sO TAX IT AND THEN a week later the exhaust fell off. I mean the end piece (not sure of name as I dont do cars!) and it wasnt rusted off it was just hanging there. Any advice on whether I should consult the MOT place? And what I should quote? lol Its sort of funny but am worried about it being dodgy...Any advice please!:D

Unfortunately I don't think you would have anything to hold against the MOT test station. The MOT is not a guarantee of roadworthiness, and simply means that on the day that the test was carried out the exhaust was in a suitable condition to satisfy the test requirements for emissions and its general condition. It may not have been apparent to the tester whilst looking at and even shaking the exhaust along its length that a section was wekening. You say that the exhaust does not appear rusty and I assume that it is just the rear section which has come off. This could be a defect in the welded join where it meets the rear silencer for example.

Did you receive any past bills with the paperwork for the car? If the previous owner had fitted a new exhaust within the last few months the system could be under warranty.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

You won't get any joy out of the MOT place as they can say it could have been caused after the MOT was done.

Also problem with the warranty (if it has one) is it may not be transferable on the sale of the car.

I bought a car with 13 months MOT(had been done 3 weeks before). got concerned about some things so took it for another MOT which it failed. I then took it back to the original place where it was done and they did all the repairs for free. However, this was only only stuff such as the rear shocks which wouldn't have failed so badly in 3 weeks. the exhaust they wouldn't touch.

Working to remove my debts

We had both cars off the road so needed something for a week without buying a hire car etc. We bought an old cavalier for £300 had no tax but an 11 months MOT. sO TAX IT AND THEN a week later the exhaust fell off. I mean the end piece (not sure of name as I dont do cars!) and it wasnt rusted off it was just hanging there. Any advice on whether I should consult the MOT place? And what I should quote? lol Its sort of funny but am worried about it being dodgy...Any advice please!:D

Sorry mate whilst no one can sell you an unroadworthy car, unless it's for spares & being scrapped, as has been stated an MOT is only good for the day of test........unless you can prove any fault was long term & should have been picked up ar the time

As for a warranty.........on a car costing £300! forget it

:) THANKS EVERYONE. I hadnt even thought of a warranty on a 300quid car!!! Was just wondering if it was right or not!!

I will get the exhaust welded back on, the car is a heap of **** but the exhaust falling off did not even look like it had been on, just sat on with the rubber bungs underneath!

Anyhow, am selling it on so hopefully it will be uptogether by this time!