NatWest Latest

Vampyra
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I found out yesterday that mine and my mothers benefits were paid into NatWest this week - the DWP couldn't stop them soon enough. I was livid.

I decided to get onto NatWest with a non victim attitude and demand this money back.

I explained my mother was a "vunerable adult" and the monies paid in by the government were for her care and well being and as the bank had taken 2 weeks of this and left us with nothing, I felt there must be grounds to consider this abuse to a "vunerable adult" and her carer.

I also stated it was easy to see these were BACS benefit payments as the NI and benefit code were attached to each payment in.

The guy I spoke to, Oliver Lowery @ Wimbledon Lending centre, then told me that "your carers allowence has been recalled by the DWP", (please note: I hadn't yet told him which payment was carers allowence - they had a note of it - thus proving they know benefit payments).

To be fair to Oliver Lowery, he went off and got a special encashment arranged for the other two benefits totalling £107.25 which was returned as soon as I got to my bank.

It's a minor victory, but I get the feeling they have shot themselves in the foot as, and I may be wrong, by returning that money they are admitting the charges are wrong???

Without that £107.25 returned, I would be £1052.16 overdrawn against an overdraft of £700. They have removed in just under 2 weeks £550 in charges which would actually make me only £500 OD - £200 within my limit and available to spend!

Still no word from Head Office though!

The DWP take a dim view of the amount the law says someone needs to live on being diminished by a third party.

ANY deductions from benefit must be made by the DWP in accordance with government guidelines. If someone owes money, even if that is in fines to a court, the owed organisation MUST make an application for a third party deduction, and can only get a maximum of £5 per payment. If there are more than three deductions to organisations active on an account, a fourth simply has to wait until one of the deductions finishes.

For the bank to help itself is, in the DWP's book, breaking all the rules. The law says the money is what a person needs to live on, and if someone dips into that without the DWPs permission... well, they don't like it. They will, if they feel it necessary, recall the payment so that the bank can't have it and arrange another form of payment - even if this means a counter payment cashable over a post office counter.

Congratulations, by the way, Vampyra for taking the initiative here. Changing to direct payment is a bit of a risky proposition for the government whilever the bank feels it has a right to help itself to any charges it might dream up. I hope more people complain to their local benefits office when the banks take their money - removing it from the banks grubby little paws seems to be the ONLY way to keep enough aside to pay the bills.

• 2 weeks later...

After asking for an investigation of my account, (please see earlier posts by me), I had no feedback from NatWest. I telephoned them a week ago to ask why not. I got told that an investigation from Head Office had been started but the Wimbledon Lending Centre had not bothered to reply regarding the charges.

I ask for this in writing and get a stupid letter informing me that an investigation had been started but the Lending Centre refused to refund the said £250 I claimed in charges but Head Office would still continue to investigate it for me.

In other words they have done nothing, but at least now I have a letter with a name and address to send the pro forma to.

And as for £250?!?!?!? I never stated a figure to them - I'm not that stoopid! :shock:

After asking for an investigation of my account, (please see earlier posts by me), I had no feedback from NatWest. I telephoned them a week ago to ask why not. I got told that an investigation from Head Office had been started but the Wimbledon Lending Centre had not bothered to reply regarding the charges.

I ask for this in writing and get a stupid letter informing me that an investigation had been started but the Lending Centre refused to refund the said £250 I claimed in charges but Head Office would still continue to investigate it for me.

In other words they have done nothing, but at least now I have a letter with a name and address to send the pro forma to.

And as for £250?!?!?!? I never stated a figure to them - I'm not that stoopid! :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

When I last had problems with NatWest which was June 2004 - December 2004, the reason they gave for my overdraft facility constantly being removed and charges being applied to my account was because they had changed over to the Royal Bank of Scotland computer system and there was a glitch on the system.

Anyone going back some years on their account for charges may find NatWest use this as a bit of a twist in preceedings - possibly claiming it was a system error and not a banking one?

To be fore warned, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have now to sort my form for DPA disclosure - yes I know I'm a bit slow but I do have a seriously disabled person to care for.

Yesterday I was sent two default notices - one for the Current account which has now reached £1400 and rising and the other for the Step Account which had no money go in or out and because of a minor mistake on my part - i.e. forgot to change my DD to BT to my new account - I now have £106 of charges and a default notice there too!

Getting the DPA disclosure will over-run their 28 days for the default notices, so could someone please advise whether I should write to NatWest about that or just get the disclosures from NatWest and deal with the default notices afterwards?

Sorry to ask but as I said before, a bit of guidence in the right direction would help as I have mum to deal with and a million and one other problems and I dont want this bank thing to slip or me make a silly mistake at the wrong time.

Thank you

Ring the customer care support team 0845 600 2803 or customer lending centre 0845 300 3042, tell them you sent a compalint to contest the charges on your account. They should put your account on "hold" this simply means they will/cant take any action until an outcome has been reached with regards to your complint. If you have the internet banking you should be able to get a list of all the charges of there. You can send in a DPA request and they ll charge you a tenner, but i would suggest the online banking is easyier. If you do not have it you can sign up fro free on their website. make sure you get the name of the person you spke to aswell

Thanks for your advice re putting the account on hold - that I will do but will write to them.

Don't have Internet banking with them and am happy to pay the £10 DPA fee - I've been with them quite a time and want to investigate this further.

Read my "Carer getting excessive charges" thread somewhere in this NatWest section.

Here's myl etter!

Customer Lending Centre, Birmingham

PO Box 5433

Birmingham

B1 2WZ

16/03/2006

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxx & xxxxxxxx

With regard your letters dated 13th March 2006 explaining your intention to issue Default Notices upon the above named accounts, I am asking you put a hold on the intended 28 day time limit. The reason for this is that I had asked Maria Chizario at NatWest Head Office complaints, to carry out an investigation as to the application of penalty charges upon my account.

Some weeks later, I had still not received any outcome or even a polite letter explaining any delay in the proceedings. I then telephoned the Head Office and spoke to Anne Smith who sent me a placating ‘holding’ letter explaining a conclusion had not been reached on the investigation.

After sending a reply letter explaining the information she had quoted was incorrect and I was requesting complete disclosure of ALL activity including manual intervention by NatWest personnel, upon my account, I received a stock letter from Stuart Higley at Customer Relations at Head Office. I telephoned him and asked him to furnish me with the outcome of Maria Chizario’s investigation, which he said he would.

However, it never arrived – only a letter asking me to read some NatWest leaflets which he had enclosed and a form for Data Protection disclosure.

I shall be taking my £10 and a letter requesting complete disclosure to my local Epsom branch, today. However, as you are aware, DPA disclosure has a time limit of 40 days for the bank to comply, thus is would appear rather unjust of NatWest to continue to issue Default Notices, whilst I am obtaining this information, and having told you about such in this letter.

I will be perusing this case to Legal level as I am extremely dissatisfied with the way in which NatWest are and have been conducting themselves over this and other matters.

Yours faithfully,

Miss Vampyra

• 1 month later...

Sorry I've not been about for a while but I've had a million and one things to do and the internet came second!

Just to keep you up to speed on my case.

I paid £10 for the DPA disclosure and asked for full disclosure on my account. I have to say I didn't get this. NatWest stated I opened my current account on 24th November 2004 even though it clearly states in their paperwork it was opened on 21st April 2002 - yet they say they cant provide me with bank statements from 2002 because my account wasn't open.

They have also failed to send copies of a few letters I have the originals of. They have sent only a few documents regarding manual intervention when there has been far more occasions of this.

Can someone advise me as to what I should do now? Can they withold certain documents under the DPA? Can they refuse to give me bank statements from as far back as 2002? Have they broken the terms of the Freedom of Information Act by not providing me with all I requested within the 40 days?

I do not want to let this slip, but as some of you know I have quite a full on job looking after mum, so pointers in the right directions, advice and any suggestions are all gratefully appreciated.

*Please keep to one thread fellow Vamp. It makes it easier for us to give advice if we see the whole story and saves you having to repeat yourself.*

Try this - if it does not work then let us know and I will take you through the next stage.

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Section 7 – Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Sir/Madam

Account: xxxxxxxx

I am in receipt of the documents that you have supplied in response to my Data Protection Act information request dated (Insert Date). The disclosure of personal data is incomplete in that at least the following documents are missing.

(Adapt this next section to your situation)

1) You have failed to provide a complete list of transactions and charges.

2) You have provided no notes, or documents relating to instances of manual intervention.

Add any other things you know about.

This is not an exhaustive list by any means, it is just an example of some of the information I am missing.

Accordingly, I have to tell you that you have not yet complied with your obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998.

The time for compliance with my request has now expired. If you do not comply fully with my Subject Access Request within 7 days, I shall apply to the County Court for an order together with damages at the discretion of the court.

Yours faithfully,

Thanks for that.

Yes I was a victim in 2003/4 of the RBS computer system change over that cost me £1400 then as well!

Bloomin hopeless they are.

I think I'll write that letter as I have added up that all but £300 of the money I owe them is covered by unfair penalty charges and if those 2 years are found then maybe, they might end up owing me!

Well...I can but hope!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks