How do I claim a fraud on my account

rolly
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I still don't understand how whoever did this got my card details, I was in a different city from where the money was taken out, the bank was aware of the fraud but till date I was not given enough information about the outcome, the bank's fraud department never spoke to me about it either. However, the bank refused to pay back the money as they thought I knew about it and gave the authorisation which was not the case.

I hope this answers your question

Yes the card was in my possession, that is why its still a misery me. i did not inform the police because the bank assured me that they would investigate it, I am talking slightly over £1,000 fraud. According to Natwest it was cash machine withdrawals at 4 different times.

can you clarify that, 4 different withdrawals from atm machines, and you had the card in your possession? was there any switch transactions on the same day say for example, London and the card being used was Manchester?

The 4 different withdrawal was from ATM machines, and the card was in my possession. it was when i visited the ATM i had a message on the screen that I did not have money in the account, I was a shock as I had just been paid a few days before then, at this same time the stranger also tried withdrawing again from Nottingham, and infact I have never been there. so I got an immediate call from the bank asking me where I was as I couldn't possibly be at 2 different places at the same time. It was at this the bank told me there has been a fraud on my account.

this seems really odd that they contacted you and you have been denied a refund. very odd IMHO. Not to put a fine point to it but there is a way of telling if the card was your card or a cloned card in an atm

• 1 month later...

You should be able to get your money back for this.

You need to report the matter to the Police.

I suggest that you then visit your branch and explain what happened. Get them to contact the fraud department within your bank and they should be able to liaise on your behalf and advise you the necessary steps to take to recover the loss. You will probably get better results visiting your branch than if you try to contact your bank via call centres.

If this fails, then I would log a complaint with the branch and they will be forced to investigate the circumstances surrounding the withdrawals - basically make a fuss until they do something.

Have your bank actually stopped the card and reissued you with a new one?

There are many ways in which fraudsters can get hold of your card details - for example, by skimming your card details when you purchase something in a retail outlet or by capturing them if you shop online.