Surrendering possession

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Following on from my thread yesterday

We have decided to leave the house, but pay the outstanding 2 months rent in one go as we realise our reasons for leaving were rather trivial.

1) We have offered 1 months rent plus our deposit for them to keep as there is no damage to the property at all... is this reasonable?

2) We are moving out and handing the keys back on the 27th Feb. From this point, do we become no longer responsible for council tax, gas, electric etc apart from obviously what we used up til that date?

ta in advance

1) Yes - but as stated, they can still technically pursue for any damages, should they exist.

2) Correct. Ensure that you get final readings, inform council + utilities ppl etc etc

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Well, to cover your own back take photographs on leaving etc. Other than that not a great deal you can do. Did you sign an inventory upon entering the property?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Hmmm...well the fact there is no inventory(furnished or no) works for you, but the fact it is brand new means he might well not need one - an exception to the rule of no inventory = no deductions. Furniture marks depends on your interpretation, I personally consider it NOT to be fair wear and tear, but it depends upon interpretation. Chances are he wouldnt pursue such small things in court. Might be worth a touch up if you can?

I think the 'assumption' on taking it on was that it was brand spanking... anything we spotted immediately wrong we emailed to the agents on the first day.

When I say furniture marks, i mean a few marks where they have touched the wall, nothing major tho... having looked round other rented properties lately, this is palacial.. but you never know I suppose... in my experience the deposit is never 100% secure as they will always look for something to have you on

The chances of you gettin pursued for the marks on the wall are slim to none, I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just be aware that if they do, there is a small possibility that you may have to pay to get them covered. Would be fairly nitpicky by them, but the possibility is there.