Letting agent charges me £30 a year (tennant)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Heya, every year my rent increases by 4% and I recieve a letter from the letting agent acting on behalf of the lady that owns the property, to let me know the rent will be increasing.

In this letter Im also asked for a cheque for £30 to cover the letting agents administration costs.

Why is this?/

I didnt hire the letting agent, the lady that owns the property did before I moved in. So surely I shouldnt be paying any of the letting agents costs?

Guest Lueeze

Im sure its a charge to renew the 1 year tennancy agreement for another term. I had to pay this too! Mine was £45 split between me and landlord

In a recent 'Whistleblower' TV program on Estate Agents, one agent was highlighted as purposefully obscuring the fact that they charged something like £350 just to 'sign on' as a tenant with them - even though they were arguably being employed by the landlord! (The concept was - get the potential tenant to fall in love with a flat before telling them about all the extra charges over and above rent that they would have to pay if they wanted to live there)

As for yearly admin charges, i would not be surprised if they existed... but if they are not shown in a contract you have signed I would be sceptical if they are legally enforceable.

However, in my view, the letting agent is actually a useful intermediary to have as in theory they are an 'independant arbitrator'. That is a not a legal thing, it is just how they ought to behave in my view. I would think that having an agent who handles your letting agreement well is worth a few quid per year.

Nij

Halifax £744 - Letter 1 sent 22/3 - no response

Letter 2 (LBA) sent 7/4

Standard Response Letter rcvd 7/4

Phone call rcvd 24/4 - offered £308 CONDITIONALLY - awaiting confirmation letter

27/4 - Conditional offer letter rcvd for £308

Case created on MoneyClaim 4/5

Halifax notes an intention to defend claim 10/5

23/5 - Some cash appears in account!

Settled, and ceased court action

I would think that having an agent who handles your letting agreement well is worth a few quid per year.

Yes to the lady who owns the property, not to me :)

I worked in a Letting Agents, this sum is charged to the tenant and the LL for the renewal of the Lease.

One way of getting around this would be to pursuade the LL to agree to a rollover tenancy, especially if you are a good tenant, and you get on well with the LL.

This way there would be not need to renew the tenancy every 6 months. You may find however that the Agent has the LL on his side, but its worth a try.

I happen to think that the charges in some agencies are nearly as bad as that of the bank.

• 4 months later...

Hi. I am a letting agent. My advice to you would be to check through your original and / or subsequent tenancy agreements that you have signed. You may well find a clause in the agreement somewhere which give the agents power to levy this charge. All our charges are contained within specific clauses within the agreement and are there as standard although we as partners can decide to waiver a charge if nec'. I should point out that the charge in no way appears to be un-lawful but it may be worth having a quiet & friendly word with the agent to see if the charge can be waivered.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks