• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

End Of Banks Holding Onto Your Money?

Don Quioxte
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, hope you are all merrily pursuing your claims and all is well..

Just a random thread with regards a TV campaign I have just seen. Lloyds have decided to offer to their Classic Account Holders immediate interest on payments into the account..

That is to say - no more waiting 5 working days for cheques etc to clear before interest is calculated. I find this particularly interesting and exciting (sad I know), because my second biggest bone of contention with the banks (after excessive charges) is the ridculous and uneccessary wait for access to our money.

Many of you will know that banks effectively use our money for those 3-5 days while it is "clearing" to in fact invest the money in overnight money markets - and indeed earn a huge amount of profit and income from doing so. I have always maintained that this is outrageous - many european coutries alreaady ensure that banks must allow access to your funds within 24 hours or less to prevent such blatant profiteering.

I just wonder if this signals a general move in the UK towards more fairer terms for us consumers... no more waiting unduly, and unfairly for our money - while the banks earn interest and we incur charges. Hopefully it will permeate all transactions which have previously taken far too long in my opinion - including inter-bank telephone transfers (typically 3 days), credit card transactions clearing onto accounts (such as when one deposits money onto another account by credit/debit card - again 3-5days), and of course cheques and standing order payments.

Just thought it might be interesting to bring to everyone's attention...

http://www.lloydstsb.com/campaign/150_days.asp

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

When this [problem] (sorry, generous offer) was launched last week, someone, somewhere, did the sums on what it actually meant.

There are min and max limits on what you can pay, and how long the money must be in the account, and I think the final analysis was something like a penny a day interest, tops, more than you would normally get.

If I can remember the article, I will find it and post a URL.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If I can remember the article, I will find it and post a URL.

Come on Spice I thought you "Mods" were all knowing and all remembering..;)

sorry I haven't kept up so much with the posts this past week so I didn't realise this had already benn aired..

Sounds a bit like the Alliance and Leicester, earn 10% on your savings [problem]...

It does make me wonder what goes on with these crediting of accounts.

I log into my Barclaycard Account to pay my bill (none of that Direct Debit & S/O nonsense), and I pay them using my Bnak Debit card. The payment is ALWAYS on my card the following day. It's great!

Take it to a Bank or use online banking it takes up to 4 days :confused:

Well, I've been so busy on the spreadsheet side, I missed it too. I have to agree, when I read through your post my first though was was 'yeah right, pennies'.

I'm not sure if access would be given to your funds any earlier either. It's probably just the fact that once the funds have definitely cleared then they agree they were in your account 3-5 days earlier and will give you the interest gained from it - pennies.

Doesn't sound like much of a change to me. Now giving us access to funds the day they are deposited, that's change.

[

Now giving us access to funds the day they are deposited, that's change.

Absolutely.. but that is what I was trying to hint at.. the banks are going to have to make a concerted effort to move towards the continental approach where their retaining of our funds whilst they "clear" them and they earn masses of money is deemed profiteering and simply not put up with..

This could be the first step? Why we Brits sit back and let the banks take us for a ride in this manner is a mystery to me? Your funds haven't cleared. Donkey's testicles. It does not take 3 - 5 days for my funds to clear. You are talking hogwash. It's all electronic. They behave as if they are waiting for a guy from DHL or the Royal Mail (in which case it might take 5 days at the earliest, if arrive at all) with each standing order, or the hard currency.

No, european banks even clear funds from competitors' banks on the same day. So why don't our banks. I'll tell you why.

It's cos we Brits are renowned for queuing. For perennial politeness.

Whereas the French just have to breathe once on their bank manager with their garlic breath, the Italians just rant incoherently, whilst the German is camped outside the bank on a beach towel at the first whiff of foul play.

We need to drop our famed quaintness, and re-discover our Blitz mentality... charges are the beginning of the end for the banks, I think they face widescale reform - and BAG is launching the first offensive.

Whereas the French just have to breathe once on their bank manager with their garlic breath, the Italians just rant incoherently, whilst the German is camped outside the bank on a beach towel at the first
Fight, fight, fight...again.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Whereas the French just have to breathe once on their bank manager with their garlic breath, the Italians just rant incoherently, whilst the German is camped outside the bank on a beach towel at the first whiff of foul play.

Fight, fight, fight...again.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha PMSL

24.gif

Round 1 to Don!!!

Round 1 to Don!!!

and the rest..

"We will fight them on the BAG, we will fight them in the high street, we will fight them in branches and the indian call centres. We will never surrender."

and the rest..

"We will fight them on the BAG, we will fight them in the high street, we will fight them in branches and the indian call centres. We will never surrender."

What...you missed a golden opportunity.

Never in the field of financial conflict was so much owed by so few to so many...

Spice you know I never miss a golden opportunity.. perhaps you should;

"Ask not what you can do for BAG, but what BAG can do for you.."

I feel perhaps we should start a thread 'cos this could have more legs than a millipede.. "Famous Quotes interpreted by Baggers?" Can you imagine the fun you could have.. there are some great speeches and quotes out there?!?

Lloyds are advertising that you can get up to 150 days interest on this new 'deal'. Therefore, 150 days per customer x the number of customers per bank = just exactly how much have they been raking off people to fund their corporate p**ss-ups?

The Baron

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men"

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I cannot see how banks can pay you interest on money thats not cleared.

I often wondered if this scenario could work maybe its worth a try.

I write a cheque for 100 Billion pounds from one current account and pay into a Lloyds account, they then should pay me a few days interest on the cheque meaning I should earn a substantial chunk of interest. Of course once the cheque bounces the fee will be peanuts compared to what interest I have earned.

Or would the bank cancel the interest and does it say anything in their T&C's about interest on cheques that don't clear.

Nationwide:

DPA Letter sent 10th May, Received 1st June, calculated approx £330 charges, Prelim to sent soon.

Egg

£60 Charges - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, declined refund,

Halifax

£39 Charge - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, Halifax have agreed to refund the £39

anyone?

Nationwide:

DPA Letter sent 10th May, Received 1st June, calculated approx £330 charges, Prelim to sent soon.

Egg

£60 Charges - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, declined refund,

Halifax

£39 Charge - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, Halifax have agreed to refund the £39

Along similar sort of thing,on totting up your charges ready for court...If you should over estimate the charges "by mistake of course" that the bank owe say by couple of hundred would they bite the bullet,and give you the money,or go to court ? As up to press very few want to go to court,Could it be a way of making them attend ? just a thought..:| As i saw somewhere an answer to some one who had got it wrong an the reply was "oh leave it its up to the banks to defend it an as they wont go to court ?) Am not sugesting folk bump up the claim at all,Just one o them things buzzing round my head when i try go to sleep.Can tell whats upermost on my mind eh;)

Dont get mad :-x get even :)

Abbey paid Stephen 600% more than his claim so that they did not have to appear in court.

I would say that they would bite the bullet.

Indeed, I'm about to take on Barclaycard for my money back plus 19.9% APR - it's what they charge when I owe money to them, so I see it as an implied term in the contract that they should be bound by the same rules.

I think a judge would too.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Is it possible to request that any refund of charges is applied to the account retrospectively so that interest charged by the bank is refunded and interest earned is added back? This would put you back to where you would have been had the charges not been applied originally and would therefore be a true reflection of the true cost of the charges.

Cheers.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Abbey paid Stephen 600% more than his claim so that they did not have to appear in court.

I would say that they would bite the bullet.

Indeed, I'm about to take on Barclaycard for my money back plus 19.9% APR - it's what they charge when I owe money to them, so I see it as an implied term in the contract that they should be bound by the same rules.

I think a judge would too.

Thanks for that Dave

Fantastic I LOVE IT YOU GO DAVE .This just gets better and better.. oh my are the big greedy giants going to get some back(with interest:-D) cant wait for my turn.. Still waitng for statements:evil:

that is hilarious. Why didn't I think of that little gem? Maybe you could also add on £30 for the prelim letter, £30 for the LBA, and then a few hundred quid in miscellaneous charges for what you can simply term "manual intervention".

Maybe you could also add on £30 for the prelim letter, £30 for the LBA, and then a few hundred quid in miscellaneous charges for what you can simply term "manual intervention".

And better...(If a knew how to put little chap rolling on floor laughing i would have)

Lizzie:lol:

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks