Some queries as I get started

thewifeandI
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just found this site today and it looks like just what I need. :)

I'm in the process of reading the FAQs and going through some threads relating to the history of other claims against my bank. I found the Govan letters last week and I had already written to my bank asking for details of all charges on my account over the last 6 years before I found this site.

In my situation the charges taken from my account in a month have topped £600, and eat into the money I have left to pay my bills, making it more likely to happen again the following month, and so on... When I don't have enough to pay an installment on a credit card or loan, I get charged late payment fees and extra interest by those companies. Is the bank responsible for refunding those costs which are directly caused by their removal of money from my account? Delayed and missed payments are also affecting my credit rating, so can I ask that the bank puts a statement into my credit files to say that they were to blame for the situation?

I could pursue all of the lenders individually, but I think that the bank should not only repay what was taken and lost interest on the account itself, but also compensate for consequential losses and the distress and hassle caused by worrying about missing payments (especially the mortgage) and being phoned several times a week by companies chasing their overdue payments. What is the legal situation?

As I said - I am reading the FAQs, but the point of this post is to get a feel for what the position is in an area that I haven't seen mentioned in the threads I've read so far. I will subsequently be posting a thread to chart the progress of my claim against Halifax.

One more thing - does anyone have any recommendations for a 'fair' bank that does not have a policy of screwing their customers for every penny? I will probably need one before long! ;)

Cheers,

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Guest Lueeze

Claiming the Bank charges, are in comparison to anything else your suggesting trying to claim, is easy.

Going to court and suing for Distress, and fianancial hardship will be much more difficult to prove, therefore you may loose, and will be out of pocket.

I dont think following that route would be wise, as this will only cause agro in the long run.

Start with the Bank charges and see what happens.

As far as I understand things you'll have to claim against the credit card company for their penalty charges. You won't be able to get the bank to refund those, though you will be able to get from the bank their own applied charges. It will take time to go through the process of claiming from each company, but if you persist it should all come back in time.

I don't know much about the credit rating question, but I'm sure people here have been getting the banks to set that right. But that may very well depend on individual situations?

Keep going...

Neil.

As far as I understand things you'll have to claim against the credit card company for their penalty charges. You won't be able to get the bank to refund those, though you will be able to get from the bank their own applied charges. It will take time to go through the process of claiming from each company, but if you persist it should all come back in time.

I don't know much about the credit rating question, but I'm sure people here have been getting the banks to set that right. But that may very well depend on individual situations?

Keep going...

Neil.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone so far for the speedy information and encouragement! I suspected this would be the case.

Cheers,

Jeep.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Jeep (The Wife & I)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks