• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Heyho! I ** Won !!! ** Ostrich v Abbey

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send or take it to your local branch or head office. i dont think it matters as long as Abbey receive it. If u send it, send it at lesast recorded del

Good Luck

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Can I include unauthorised overdraft charges? And what about interest they've charged me while I was overdrawn? eg Abbey charged me £15 for being overdrawn (they wouldn't give me an overdraft!) and then charged me £0.94 for interest charged while I was overdrawn. Can I include these charges on my spreadsheet which I'll enclose with my letter?

• 1 month later...

Here's where I'm at:

1) I sent the initial letter to Abbey asking for a refund of charges (£3,200).

2) They didn't reply within 14 days so I sent the letter before action.

3) They replied offering a Goodwill gesture of £800. They've even credited my account with the £800, even though I haven't responded to them yet.

4) It's now past the 14 days - today is day 18 (I was on holiday), so what do I do? Do I reply to their letter refusing the money or do I accept it as part-payment? Is there a letter in the library that I can use? If not, can someone help me word it please?

5) Do I also now start the court proceedings? If so, can someone again please guide me through it? Or check what I'm doing? I'm terrified I'll mess it up, even though I've read loads of stuff on here about it!

Thanks guys.

Hi Ostrichm Ok I presume that you have filled in the spreadsheet with interest? if not there is a link at the bottom of my signature.

YUou can write to them, thanking thm for their gesture and saying that you will accept it as part payment and persue them for the rest, please check to see if they have already credited your account. if they have ask them what charges these are in relation to and deduct them from your claim.

If they havnt, send the LBA and file on MCOL or in person at your bank there is an N1 that you can complete and some help with filling it in on here.

Now that you have your own thread, keep posting any questions or queries on here and we will help as best we can.

Good luck and welcome :-D

• Confused 1

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

OK, I'm stuck again. I'm really struggling with the spreadsheet now. I have already made up a (long) spreadsheet showing all charges, which I sent to them with my original letter. I'm sure I used a template from here to create this original template, but i can't seem to find it on here now! Can I adapt this spreadsheet to work out the amount plus 8% interest? Is there a simple way of just adding on the 8% interest? Or do I have to type it all into a new spreadsheet? If so, which one? I can access Excel.

I'm getting really frustrated with myself now because I'm just worried I'll make a stupid error!

Thanks for any help.

Ok, I'm breathing deeply and calm again ;o)

Thanks a lot for that link, that's the version I used originally (without the 8%). I've now used the one you linked to, with the 8% column. However, I believe I need to deduct the £857 whcih they have already credited to my account as a gesture of goodwill (for the period October 2005 to September 2006). Do I therefore delete some of the latest amounts from the spreadsheet or do I simply add another row detailing why I'm deducting £857 eg

Amount deducted due to part payment £857

If I should delete some of the later charges, how do I do this because the amount they have offered as a gesture of goodwill is actually only part of the charges they hit me with for the period stated ie Oct 05 to Sept 06.

Sorry, I hope you can understand this....

Starting from the latest charges go back until they reach £857 and overwrite the 8% column to 0. Since they have refunded these before your court claim you can't claim the 8% on these, but being the latest charges you are losing the least amount of 8%. Then deduct £857 from the charges total to show a new total.

This is how the bottom of my spreadsheet looks:

CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0005/04/2006173 £1.14CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0006/04/2006172£1.14CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0007/04/2006171£1.13CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0010/04/2006168£1.11CHARGE FOR EXCEEDING O/D LIMIT£20.0009/05/2006139£0.61CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0009/05/2006139£0.92CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0010/05/2006138£0.91CHARGE FOR EXCEEDING O/D LIMIT£20.0017/05/2006131£0.58CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0025/05/2006123£0.81CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0012/06/2006105£0.69CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0012/06/2006105£0.69CHARGE FOR EXCEEDING O/D LIMIT£20.0017/06/2006100£0.44CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0027/06/200690£0.59CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0004/07/200683£0.55CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0010/07/200677£0.51CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0010/07/200677£0.51CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0011/07/200676£0.50CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0012/07/200675£0.50CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0012/07/200675£0.50CHARGE FOR EXCEEDING O/D LIMIT£20.0008/08/200648£0.21CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0008/08/200648£0.32CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0008/08/200648£0.32CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0008/08/200648£0.32CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0008/08/200648£0.32CHARGE FOR CLEARING CC PAYMENT£30.0008/08/200648£0.32CHARGE FOR CLEARING DD/SO£30.0008/08/200648£0.32£3,447.00£460.91£3,907.91

As you can see, the last 31 charges amount to £870. They have offered me (and paid into my account already) £857. Do I reduce the 8% interest column on these 31 rows to 0? And do I leave the charges amounts on the spreadsheet as they are, but add a new row under the total saying 'Less amount as part payment - £857'

I'm at the court stage with Abbey now and need to either complete the N1 form or do the money claims online. I've received a GOGW from them and I have written back to say I have accepted it as part payment. I've now adjusted my spreadsheet with this amount deducted at the bottom (I've worded it as 'less part payment').

I really need some help now with completing the court form though. Is it easier to do the N1? Can someone guide me a bit please?

Ostrich do you have a thread of your own ?

If you look in the templateslibrary there are some suggestions for the particualrs of claim.

If you want to see what others have put my POC are posted on Glenn vs abbey.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Oh I have just realised what you mean about having a thread of my own. Should I be posting everything in the same thread?

Thanks for the help re particulars of claim.

I have now completed the form as follows. Could someone check over it for me and help me where I'm stuck?

1) I'm worried I haven't filled in the 'Value' section correctly. I'm claiming £3,447 bank charges plus the 8% interest but do I put 'less part payment'? Abbey gave me a GOGW payment and paid it into my bank account. I wrote to tell them I'd accept it as part payment. Also, do I include the court costs here or just in the section allocated at the bottom of page one?

2) I'm also concerned about the wording of 5) on page 2, particularly the amounts and interests. Have I got the amounts right? I'm scared of getting it wrong!

Thank you so much for any help.

Claimant: my name and address

Defendant: Abbey National plc, 203 Triton Square, London NW1 3AN

Brief details of claim: Unlawful bank charges

Value:

Total charges £3,447.00

Total interest at 8% £ 443.04

Less part payment £ 857.00

Total - £3,029.64

Court costs £ 120.00

Amount claimed: 3029.64

Court fee: 120.00

Solicitor's costs: ---

Total: 3149.64

Particulars of claim:

1. The Claimant has an account Account No ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around December 1996.

2. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £3,447 and any interest charged thereon;

b) Court costs;

c) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act at a rate of 8% a year from XXXXX to XXXXXX of £443.04 and also interest at same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.66p

Out of interest when did you write to the bank accepting the

GOGW?

I have heard of them withdrawing amounts when the claimant only accepts its as a part payment.

So im not sure I would mentuion it in the claim.

If you have the money and they cant withdraw it then amend the claim.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA