unobeano vs Land Of Leather

unobeano
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6106 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post

I have three reasons for posting, firstly I am currently having a few problems with Land of Leather, and after discovering this forum it was nice to know I am not alone in this mad world. (Although, that doesn’t make everything alright for everybody else). Secondly I hope my story can help someone else in dealing with their claim and thirdly for advice and support from what appears to be a great stand up and fight for your rights community, you should all be applauded.

My problems are ongoing and I’ll try and post updates as I get them, it deals with faulty goods and stupidity on my part regarding the finance. I hope a lesson learned is a lesson shared,

It started in January 06 when I purchased a buy now pay later suit from Land of Leather. £999

The excitement got the better of me and when the sales man said sign here, here & here I did. I didn’t read any of it to be fair, and if I did I thought it would all be paid off and sorted by the time the twelve months were up.

I took delivery early March and everything was ok.

Then 6 months later, I noticed the colouring on the suit was peeling like paint. I called Land of Leather, and they promptly got an upholstery company round to fix the problem. Great!

3 months later and the peeling was back, this time the upholstery company informed that the colouring on the suit did not have the correct plastics in it to stop it from peeling, again it was repaired. Repairing the peeling means they rub down the effected area with wet and dry sand paper, apply some more dye with a roller and seal. Having been rubbed down twice now with sandpaper has let my suit with a smooth patch, where the rest of the suit has a grain.

I was no longer happy with the suit and started to complain to the local Land of Leather store. This is where it went horribly wrong.

I made 8 telephone calls in three weeks, each time I was told that the Manager had to deal with complaints and that he was busy and would call me back. He didn’t.

Then I contacted their Head office, who told me write to the regional manager about my complaint regarding the branch manger and the suit. I did.

I tried another couple of calls to the Manager and eventually I got through to him. He said he couldn’t make a decision and that he would need to speak with his regional manager. He promised to call me back. He didn’t.

While this was going on my due date for repaying the finance company interest free passed. Albeit to late I did send them a cheque for £999. I received a letter back thanking me for the cheque however, it was not the settlement figure on my account, and that I should telephone to get a settlement figure, I did and was told it was £1,750. That’s 29.8% for the twelve months and £350 PPP. (approx)

I was astounded, but kind of expected it. I offered to pay the additional £750 with a credit card as to be free from their terms and conditions.

I explained the situation the girl and she advised me not to pay anything until the dispute was raised as there maybe something that can be done to reduce the settlement figure. (Fingers crossed on that front)

I did cancel the direct debit, thinking I would settle this rather than have them in my account again and again. I would pay by cheque or credit card. I guess my bank had informed them of the cancellation, as they have sent me a letter to say that because I have cancelled the direct debit I am in breach of contract and that a service fee of £30 would be added to my account and that I should pay the arrears immediately. The arrears shown on the letter is £0.00 Yep nothing! The Girl from the finance company did say she would wipe that off the account.

Having got nowhere with the Branch or Regional Manager and feeling quite lonely I gave Trading Standards a call to ask them what I should do next.

Two letters one to the MD of Land Of Leather headed “The Sale of Goods Act 1979

“ explaining the story so far, stating “I have given you reasonable opportunity to rectify this situation which you have failed to do.“ and what I want done, i.e. replacement or refund I went for either or. The other letter to be addressed to the MD of Open and Direct headed “The Consumer Credit Act 1974again explaining the story so far and that “I am aware that under the above legislation, section 75 makes you jointly and severally liable for my purchase”

Both these letters have been sent today recorded mail with a 7 working day deadline to reply. (again advice from Trading Standards)

I then did a google search and found you guys, I have to say I was sorry to read some of your stories, but It did make me feel better knowing I wasn’t alone.

That’s where we are so far.

Your comments would be welcomed and I will post updates until it’s conclusion.

Work In Progress

Halifax - 31/01/07 - DPA letter sent

Land of Leather - 30/01/07 - The Sale of Goods Act 1979 letter sent

Open & Direct 30/01/07 - The Consumer Credit Act 1974 - letter sent

yep hope you have better luck than i did,.. am now at wigan county court feb 19th,.. they are trying to say because i missed the deadline for payments (as many people have) i owe them over £5000,.. the sofa cost £1818!!:mad:

Lloyds TSB Acc Charges - Settled 08/02/2007:D

Alliance & leicester - PPI Removed from loan :)

Lloydstsb Credit Card PPI - Getting both barrels now:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck in your endeavours. You are most certainly not alone. I think it's diabolical that when you ring these companies, no one will talk to you. Your phone calls are not returned and you're given the run around. Basically they dont want to know after the initial sale is made. But are extremely efficient in churning out letters when you haven't paid for the sofa at the end of the 12 months.

I'm currently having a delivery dispute with Exclusive Leather Sofas. I bought (and paid for in full) a sofa and chair back in September 2006 - this furniture was never delivered. Eventually got in touch with Consumer Direct (Trading Standards) who told me how to go about rectifying the situation. After sending out two letters and waiting a further month, I am now having to make a claim through the court and am waiting for a court date.

The store manager has said they will not give me a refund as they have apparently been trying to arrange delivery!!!! It wouldn't have been quite so bad if they had kept me informed, but I didn't even get the courtesy of a letter (I was told by the store manager that it wasn't their policy to send out letters). She only rang to chastise me for posting my complaint on this website. Totally unprofessional.

I wish you luck in sorting out your own problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just an update. Land of Leather responded well to the letter and have agreed to a replacement of the suit. Looks like they will exchange quickly as well.

Open & Direct were not so helpful or understanding. Stuck to their guns and charged me £1760. I tried appealing to there better nature, but it appeared they didn't have one.

Said as I had not informed them of the fault until after the deadline, they were going to charge me the full wack. Which they did.

Oh hum, a lesson learned! - The silver lining however, is that as I found this site looking for Land of Leather, I have now started claiming charges from bank & Credit Cards.

Bring it on

Rob

Halifax - SAR Sent 31st Jan

Barclaycard - SAR Sent 31st Jan

Goldfish - SAR Sent 31st Jan - Statements Rcvd 23rd Feb With Offer In Full - Accepted

Creation - SAR Sent 31st Jan - Statements Rcvd 25th Feb - Prem Letter Sent 28th Feb

RBS - SAR Sent 31st Jan

A&L - SAR Sent 31st Jan

SkyCard - SAR Sent 31st Jan

Work In Progress

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick up date, and my god my blood is boiling

Land of Leather have replace my faulty suit, with a new faulty suit!!

! scuff mark in the leather, 1 hole through the leather and the left and side looks like is about to collapse, my very own leaning sofa!

Telephoned them, they will send an upholsterer out to repair.

What are my rights bearing in mind this is a new suite, delivered two days ago?

Work In Progress

im no expert, but consumer law states that goods must be fit for the purpose they are sold. surely you would have some legal standing on this point??

• Haha 1

Lloyds TSB Acc Charges - Settled 08/02/2007:D

Alliance & leicester - PPI Removed from loan :)

Lloydstsb Credit Card PPI - Getting both barrels now:wink:

What I would suggest is that you write to Land of Leather immediately, state that you have given them a reasonable opportunity to replace your faulty suite but that the replacement suite is also faulty [detail why] and therefore you are now seeking to rescind the contract and claim a partial refund.

You won't get all your money back as you have had some use of the suite, but you should be able to claim back a reasonable amount.

• Haha 1

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 3 months later...

i am having a nightmare with my sofas also that we bought from land of leather, at only 9 months old the stitching is coming away and the leather is peeling like paint. They sent someone out and put it down to wear and tear! I have wrote a letter of compliant to the head office and they are sending someone else out next Fri (22.6.07) for a second opinion. I bet they still try and put it down to wear and tear but I am not going to accept that and I will fight it! I will keep you guys updated as i think this firm is a joke!

please let me know of any simliar stories so Im prepared b4 they visit next friday please, i would also appreciate any advise on what rights i have, the sofas will be 12 months old on the 18th of this month but i made my compliant at 9 months and the sofas are looking worst everyday!

I would also like to add the the manager at the milton keynes branch is not helpful at all!

Thanks guys for any infomation that can supplied.

Hi ellieanna,

Welcome to CAG

I suggest you start your own thread, we can then follow your progress.

I just took LOL to court.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/83002-land-leather-lol.html

You're right, they are a joke, thats why their initials are LOL.

They said ours was 'wear and tear' six days after delivery

Good Luck and stick to your guns. I am no legal expert but put everything in writing and send it recorded and keep records of all correspondence.

They are a diabolicol company and the more bad pubilicity they get the better, the general public need protecting from businesses like this.

As one post said they are happy to take your money but after that do not want to know. And their attitude is unbelieveable.

I have just received a letter from them stating 'time is of the essence', and this from a business who delivers late, takes weeks to deal with a complaint and then does not turn up to collect the rubbish they deliver!!!

Well time certainly is of the essence because I want my money back and they had a 7 day pre legal warning last month and I file my claim on Monday.

I have tried resolving with them and got nowhere, totally useless.

I suggest that you:

1. Read the threads on here
  2. Get as much background as you can
  3. Put it all in writing and recorded delivery
  4. Do not waste time with them

Best of luck and keep posting.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a final up date

After delivering yet another faulty suite, LOL agreed to compensate £300. Waited 3 months for the cheque and they've managed to make it payable to somebody else ..... GRRRRRRRRR

Should be able to pick up another cheque on Monday.

The regional manager Steven Smith has been very helpful, you have to contact him in writing via head office.

I WILL NEVER SHOP AT LOL AGAIN. EVER.

Work In Progress

I am of the opinion that the cheque name "error" was deliberate as they seem to excel at frustrating their customers and applying delay tactics.

Pity they can not put the same amount of effort into providing a reasonable service!!!

Under no circumstances will I ever shop there again.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update, yes inspection was done, the person who they sent out to do the second inspection said he was going to report back 50% wear and tear and 50% manufactures fualt, two weeks later i get a letter from land of leather saying they had the report back and it informs them that the fualty sofa are totally due to wear and taer! and they consider the matter closed!

Any advise what i should do now guys? i really don't want to let this matter lie and would appreciate any advise as to what should be my next steps.

thanks.