• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

nalanji v hsbc - Defaul notice removal

nalanji007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

Please can somebody give me some help or advice

I have been ready the Consumer Action Group Forum for some months now with great interest. I have say that this site is overwhelming in good advice and knowledge from people who are knowledgeable and has experienced the problems associated when a back gives you a Default Notice of you credit history file.

Can somebody on this forum please please help or give me some advice as I am trying to remove my Default Notice in order to get a decent mortgage without paying ludicrous interest which they will charge if the Default Notice remains on my file.

I originally checked my credit history from Equifax in September 06 and found that HSBC Credit Card services had place a ‘Default Notice’ on my credit history in December 2003. I remember at the time I received a call from one of HSBC’s offshore call centres informing me I had been defaulted for not paying my credit card and they were informing the Credit Reference Agencies that I had been served a ‘Default Notice’. The friendly person from the off shore call centre then advised me to set up a direct debit which I did to pay off the credit card. The direct debit was set up to pay £200 per month until the account was paid off. I eventually paid off the account in December 2005 and then closed the account straight away.

At the time I did NOT receive any written Default Notice from HSBC hence it was a shock when I received a call to inform me I now have a Default Notice on my credit file.

Without boring you of all the personal details at the time I was going through marital problems and so neglected to pay my credit card. As things got worse personally I sort of stuck my head in the sand and hoped it would go away. Obviously it didn’t so now I am trying to clear my credit file. Thankfully my marriage remains intact and we were hoping to buy a house until I discovered the problems with my credit history.

But as everybody knows on this forum if there is a default notice on your credit file then getting any sort of loan, credit cards or a decent mortgage is virtually impossible unless you are happy to pay extortionate interest rates.

So after obtaining my credit file from Equifax the following is what it said in September 2006.

I had a ‘Default’ marker placed on my HSBC credit record in December 2003 and NO ‘satisfied/settled’ marker, just a single ‘D’ marker and the rest of the payment history was blank even though I had been paying it off. The current balance was stated as £692 owing, status as ‘Defaulted’, date updated as ‘26/06/2005’, last delinquent date as ‘01/04’, date satisfied as ‘no entry- blank’ and the default date as ‘29/01/04’.

So after obtaining my credit file from Equifax I sent an initial letter as described in the templates.

Saying

HSBC Bank plc

Card Services

365 Chartwell Square

Southend-on-Sea

Essex

SS99 2U

Date: 18th September 2006

Dear Sir or Madam

HSBC Credit Card account number – xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

After recently obtaining a copy of my credit file from Equifax I was concerned to note that your company has placed a "Default" notice in December 2003 against a HSBC Gold Credit Card account in my name.

It was also noticed on the credit file from Equifax that the current balance is £692 even though I closed the account in December 2005 when the balance on the account was zero.

Further to this I don’t have any recollection of ever receiving such a notice, and I therefore require you to substantiate this data at your earliest convenience.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account.

2. You must supply me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice

3. Any deed of assignment if the debt was sold on

I would request that this data is provided to myself within the next 28 days, if you are unable to provide this data then I must insist that it is removed from my files as unsubstantiated.

I received a letter back from HSBC to say the following.

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

Thank you for your recent contact.

Please find enclosed the copy statement of account.

If you have any further questions then please contact Customer Services on 08457 404 404

Yours sincerely

Xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Manager Customer Services.

Attached to the letter were 5 photocopied statements of the time when HSBC default my account. Looking at the letter it looks like somebody had just sent me a standard fob-off letter they probably send out every day.

Following the template again I proceeded to send out another letter basically requesting the same thing.

Mr xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Manager, Customer Services

HSBC Bank plc

Card Services

365 Chartwell Square

Southend-on-Sea

Essex

SS99 2UU

Ref Number: xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xx

Date: 30th October 2006

Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

Thank you very much for your letter dated 4th October 2006.

You have however sent me copies of my previous statements which I already have.

It is the ‘Default’ notice that I am very concerned about because I have no recollection of ever receiving such a notice.

Also the credit agency report from Equifax states the current balance is £692 even though I closed the account in December 2005 when the balance on the account was zero.

The three questions in the original letter dated 18th September 2006 specifically relate to these two points and request you to substantiate this information. Could you therefore answer in full the questions contained in the 18th September 2006 letter of which I enclose a copy.

It is your duty to comply with my requests under the law.

Yours sincerely

Xxxx xx x x xx xxx

I waited and waited and didn't received anything so eventually sent out another letter to HSBC

Mr xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Manager, Customer Services

HSBC Bank plc

Card Services

365 Chartwell Square

Southend-on-Sea

Essex

SS99 2UU

Ref Number: xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xx

Date: 9th December 2006

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx

I wrote to you on the 18th September 2006 and the 30th October 2006 asking for some relevant information. I enclose copies of the two letters, the first letter of which was sent via recorded delivery.

You wrote back to me on the 4th October 2006 without answering any of the 3 questions put to you in the original letter.

As 28 days has now passed from the date of the 2nd letter you are now in breach of your duties under Section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act. If you do not answer my original questions and reply within 7 days I will have no choice but to escalate the matter to the relevant authorities including the Banking Ombudsman, Office of Fair Trading and the Information Commissioner's Office.

Yours sincerely

Xxxxxx xxxxxx

On the 15th December I received the following letter.

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I write with reference to your letter dated 9 December 2006 and the documentation you have requested in respect of your above account. I am of course sorry that you were dissatisfied with our previous response in relation to this matter. Having fully investigated the issues raised I can now respond as follows.

I acknowledge your request for a copy of the original credit card agreement in relation to your above account. Our records confirm we have previously provided you with a copy of this, together with the Terms of Conditions in our previous letter dated 4 October 2006. However, for your records I have enclosed the documentation again. Obviously in this instance we have fully complied with Section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act.

I also acknowledge your request for a copy of the original Default Notice date 30 December 2003. The Default notice is an automated process and it is not therefore possible to provide an actual copy of the letter sent to you. I am however, able to provide you an example of the letter and the wording which would have been used.

A court would be satisfied if we showed that our systems produce there letters automatically and that it would be sent to the address held for the customer at the time of issue.

We will of course, also, be more than happy to confirm any of the above to the Financial Ombudsman Service or the Office of Fair Trading.

To confirm, the bank have correctly registered details of your account with the Credit Reference Agencies after you failed to maintain payments in accordance with the statements. The registration will remain on the file 6 years from the date of the default, namely December 2006.

I acknowledge you did repay the account in full in December 2005 and as a result, your account was subsequently marked as satisfied with the Credit Reference Agencies.

However, please bear in mind, despite the above, the registration will remain on file until the statutory six year period from the date of the default has elapsed, which in this case will be December 2009.

I trust my comments have clarified matters for you. However, I am obliged to advise you that complaints we cannot resolve can ultimately be referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If we do not hear from you ………. We will consider this matter closed.

Yours sincerely

Xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Customer Relations.

With the letter I received a photocopy of my original signed credit card application form, a photocopy of the credit Card Agreement Terms and a template of the Default Notice letter they used which I never originally received. But NO origianal Default Notice they said they sent to me.

Firstly can they actually legally say the above as they never sent me any Credit Card Agreement in the first letter they sent even though there records confirm they sent it. All I received were 5 statements.

They are saying that the Default Notice procedure is an automated process so they cannot send me a copy. Is this legally binding? Isn’t it my legal right to request the original letter or are they trying to hide something. This is in fact the document I originally requested and they cannot provide it because they are saying the process is automated. Also would a court be satisfied with such an excuse as surely statements are and automated process but they managed to reproduce them and send me a photocopy?

Also I ask a question they say ‘the registration will remain on file until the statutory six year period from the date of the default has elapsed’, but this six year period is NOT a law, but just a period set by the financial institutions.

Apart from this letter in November 2006 I checked my credit report again from Equifax but found some surprising discrepancies.

So this time it said the following for the HSBC Credit Card record

I had a ‘Default’ marker placed on my HSBC credit record in November 2003 and a ‘S’ marker in December 2006, the rest of the payment history was blank even though I had been paying it off. The current balance was stated as £0 owing, status as ‘Settled’, date updated as ‘05/12/2005’, last delinquent date as ‘12/03’, date satisfied as ‘29/01/2004’ and the default date as ‘blank – no entry’.

So from sending out my first letter in September (after I obtained my credit report) to getting another credit report the HSBC records had obviously been changed.

From -

A ‘Default’ marker placed on my HSBC credit record in December 2003 and NO ‘satisfied/settled’ marker, just a single ‘D’ marker and the rest of the payment history was blank even though I had been paying it off. The current balance was stated as £692 owing, status as ‘Defaulted’, date updated as ‘26/06/2005’, last delinquent date as ‘01/04’, date satisfied as ‘no entry- blank’ and the default date as ‘29/01/04’.

To -

A ‘Default’ marker placed on my HSBC credit record in November 2003 and a ‘S’ marker in December 2006, the rest of the payment history was blank even though I had been paying it off. The current balance was stated as £0 owing, status as ‘Settled’, date updated as ‘05/12/2005’, last delinquent date as ‘12/03’, date satisfied as ‘29/01/2004’ and the default date as ‘blank – no entry’.

So who can legally do this to somebody’s credit file after the account has been closed. My guess is HSBC to try and clear up some of there mistakes.

So can somebody please please help or give me some advice or guidance as I don’y totally understand how I legally stand when it comes to the banks.

I am trying to write a letter back to the bank to basically explain the discrepancies with the HSBC records in my credit file before and after I sent the original letter to them. Can I legally inform them so they will ultimately remove the default. I know they are trying to cover this up from the wording in the last letter I received but I don’t quite know how to attack this to ultimately get the default remove. I has copies of both of the credit reports so I have to go to court and prove this then I will. But maybe if I send them copies of the reports they may back down. Also their wording in the last letter to me is very threatening and for them to use ‘statutory’ for the six year period is totally ridiculous and legally wrong as it’s not statutory at all.

I would very much appreciate it if somebody can read this and give me some advice or help as I have been trying to think for a long time of a response to the banks letter but not sure how I can attack this to ultimately get the default removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, it goes like this. I have checked with my financial adviser, hes very clued up on these things. Basically, the default has to stay on your file for six years regardless or not of it being paid off. Ive tried to sue, but failed at every turn, because basically, my bank were at fault for not showing the credit card that I had that defaulted, as SATISFIED on my file because it was paid off in full a month after the default was issued, and they were at fault for not updating the file to show it was satisfied, but as for the default itself, I have no recourse with my bank for this. It has to stay on my file for six years, theres nothing I can do about it, its law. However, dont worry, there are plenty of organisations who lend to people who have had a default. I found a very competitive mortgage with GMAC who were brilliant. The entry gets removed from my file in September this year, and they have even offered to give me a normal high street rate once this default disappears from my file in September, so I really couldnt say any fairier than that. Im sorry I couldnt be of any more help on this, but if you find information to the contrary, then please also let me know, but to date Im hitting brick walls with solicitors and financial advisers about having the default removed completely. It cant be done. It has to stay on my file for 6 years because it was a genuine default. Good Luck.:)

Hi Fendyweather,

Can you show us the "law" that says the default stays on file for six years? Even the ICO and the CRA's can't do that much. There are people on this forum who have successfully had defaults removed from their files, so it can actually be done.

Nalanji007 - check out the legalities section of the forum, there are lots of threads for you to read in there.

Cheers,

Lee.

Thanks Lee & Clint for the advice.

I have read alot of threads on this forum and I basically amended Surlybonds template letter to fit my own situation and sent the letter with a Statutory Notice to HSBC to stop them processing my data to the CRA's. I also enclosed in the letter the discrepancies between the 2 Exquifax reports and asked them to explain why they are different.

I received a letter back from HSBC 10 days later which says the following.

"We regret that we are unable to comply with your request under Section 10 of the Data Protection Act 1998 as the information retained by HSBC Bank plc represents a true and accurate record of the manner in which your account was conducted. The processing of these details is in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

You have referred to HSBC Bank passing information relating to your charges to third parties. Please be assured that we abide by a strict code of confidentiality and treat all customer's personal information as private and confidential. Then Bank complies with the Data Protection Act and Banking Code when obtaining and processing customer data.

Information will only be passed to other third parties and group companies in strictly controlled circumstances, as detailed in our terms and conditions and application forms, requiring consent. Please note that customers consent to the fact that if we make demand for repayment following any default and they fail to repay the sum in full or make and adhere to acceptable proposals for repayment within 28 days, then we may register the details with a Credit Reference Agency. This is indicated in our terms and conditions.

I am sorry we cannot accede to your request and I know that this will be a disappointment to you. However, I hope this letter provides some clarity for you and explains the reasons for our decision.

Whilst I hope matters are now resolved to your satisfaction, if this is not the case please let me know, as complaints we cannot resolve can ultimately be referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If I do not hear from you within the next 8 weeks we will consider the matter resolved."

:confused: Help please !!!!!!!!!

When I sent Surlybonds excellent template letter plus the Statutory notice and the discrepancies between the 2 reports I thought they would accept it as I had proof the data they were sending to the CRA had been altered by them and this is data relating to my credit card which was closed in Dec 2005.

So surely under the law and the Data Protection Act HSBC cannot continue to process and alter my data for an account that has already been closed.

At the moment I am stuck. I don't know whether to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service in the hope they might do something as the HSBC letter suggests. Or go down the Letter Before Action route and give them 14 days to stop processing the data or court action will be taken.

I know there are alot of people going through this at the moment on this forum and many have been successful.

I don't know what to do, so if any body can give me some advice it would be very much appreciated.!!

SurlyBond's contention (which seems sound) is that upon termination of the contract between yourself and HSBC, all the T&C within that contract are also terminated, so they no longer have the permission to process your default marker data with the CRA's.

I got a similar letter to yours back and have sent them 1 more letter since, i will awa

The problem you face is that despite Sb's letter and contention the ICO don't agree they need your permission to process your data.

So they feel they can carry on doing this.

Couple of points which may give rise to getting the default removed.

if the dealt info is incorrect then the DPA sec 14 i believe allows you to apply to the court to get the default removed. So for instance if the default amount is x but you paid some of it off and it should be x -1 then its incorrect.

If it has been settled but isn't shown as such then thats incorrect.

Secondly if you have defaulted then there are or were likely to have been charges on the account, if the charges amount to more than the total you owed them m ( i.e. the total charges, interest you paid on them) then you have a claim against them for those charges and should also apply for the default to be removed at the same time.

Re Sb's templates, i am not certain how many people have been successful using that template, for what its worth, is so long and complex that when the bank respond negatively it is difficult for us to respond effectively. Maybe not impossible but since i haven't kept up to date with those threads/issues i don't know what has been going on.

i wold check out a thread in legalities by WillowB vs abbey i think, she was successful in getting a default removed by abbey in similar circumstances i think.

Also search for posts by Dayglo hes done a lot on this too.

HTH

Glenn

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA