• Tweets

• How much of the documentation have you seen from when probate was obtained? And do you have a copy of the original will? I can't remember. My thought about you making the decision on your own to go with another lawyer is that three of you are meant to be beneficiaries of this will trust, aren't you? Normally you would need to act together. HB
    • Octopus allows you to pay by variable Direct Debit, so you pay only for what you use but still benefit from DD pricing. That's what I've done ever we were SOLRed over to them in July 2022.
    • Hi guys, I am about to file my defence via email as cannot log in to the claim anymore.  Can you please advise if I can paste below and if it's good to go for now, or should I add anything else in?  Thanks!  The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4.  The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.  1.  The Defendant is the recorded keeper of vehicle xxxx xxx.  2.  It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant - Parking Eye LTD.  3.  As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance.  The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner.  Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim.   4.  In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant.  5.  The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer.   6.  The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety.  It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all.
    • Getting onto the ladder: The first-time buyer conundrumView the full article
    • Ooops - one to many also s..... my draft reply should read as:  Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands, and if P2G wish to avoid the addition of court costs and interest to my claim, you may wish to respond positively before that date.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

us2 v First Direct

oktopusinc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - me and my wife have sent letters requesting statements - mine for the time I had my account (now closed) which was about 3 years and my wife's for the whole time of her account (10 years?).

They sent us both replies with our cheques returned stating that they were not necessary.

My reply says that they will send me all my statements by courier. My wifes, which she forgot to sign, was returned telling her it was not signed and that they could only supply six years which was the maximum length of records that they keep. They provided an envelope to return the signed letter in.

I sit possible to request more than six years as this lot really worked my wife over before I met her and cashed thousands from her - I have read in the FAQ that it may be possible to claim back further than six years.

Can anyone help?

• 4 weeks later...

Situation at present is:

Wifes letter returned unsigned - returned to FD awaiting statememts.

FD sent me a letter telling me they would send statements - never arrived. I then got a letter claiming they tried to deliver them although most couriers would leave a card would they not?

Sent them a letter saying I would pick up the statements in the branch which I did.

Have now composed and sent a letter asking for £205 back for myself - wife to follow soon hopefully.

These banks use all the delaying tactics they can.......but the outcome will still be the same:) stick with it

Barclays claiming £5269.63

LBA sent 17/05/2006

money claim filed 31/05/2006

court date 8th September 2pm

offered full refund 1st Sep

:D money credited to account :D

2nd September

:) Help this site to keep going please donate by clicking the button:)

Surprise Surprise!

This morning my wife got an identical letter saying they tried to deliver her statements but could not - definitely delaying tactics.

I wonder if I could force them to show me proof of the delivery attempt under data protection?

Im sure that if they try and delivery anything and you are out they have to leave a card.........i would find out the delivery company give them a ring and see if they have tried to deliver.......then get back to the bank

LBA sent 17/05/2006

2nd September

Ours were delivered by DHL at a very early time in the morning.

First Direct - £2791.84 received in full and final settlement.

Cahoot - Agreed to settle for full amount of £2024

Abbey National - AQ questionnaire returned and 50% offered

Lloyds Bank - AQ questionnaire returned

I have just joined the quest to get my money back. After a months wait my husband and I (separate accounts) recieved 6 years worth of statements. After calculating the amount they owe us, do I then request the money back?

Did you read the FAQ?

You can only claim back 6 years, so there is no point asking for 10 years worth.

If you point the bank to the relavent parts of the data protection act you will find they respond very quickly after that. FD delayed with me until i sent them a stinking letter pointing out that they are in breech of the DPA. Send it to Linda Young.

It's all in the FAQ's.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

************Disclaimer *******Don't take my advice. I have no idea what I am talking about. If you take my advice you must be bonkers or something.

I have just joined the quest to get my money back. After a months wait my husband and I (separate accounts) recieved 6 years worth of statements. After calculating the amount they owe us, do I then request the money back?

See the FAQ.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

************Disclaimer *******Don't take my advice. I have no idea what I am talking about. If you take my advice you must be bonkers or something.

If First direct are reading this - Hi!

Well, today I got a letter for my claim of £205 for my account with FD which I closed around a year ago. I have a form they have given me to sign which does not include any confidentiality clause but does say that I accept "full and final settlement of my complaint against the bank".

1. this doesnt mean I have to remain siulent about my complaint?

2. Does this mean that I am accepting that their version of events is right?

3. Shall I accept this and let them go?

We are still to receive my wife's statements which are for a considerably larger amount - can't wait....

Threads merged - Please stick to one thread!

Unless the correspondence says the payment is confidential, then you do not have to stay quiet. By accepting the payment you are not saying they are in the right - you are never going to get them to admit their charges are unlawful.

Why are you considering rejecting the offer? From what I can gather you are claiming £205 and they are agreeing to pay £205 - is there something I've missed?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I really don't understand what you're getting at?

You're only claiming £205 so how would rejecting it help you out in any way???

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

If you were thinking about the 8% interest ...you can only claim that if you have filled a claim with the courts

cant see why you wouldnt accept full payment??

LBA sent 17/05/2006

2nd September

hey guys - I just wanted to know if there was any way to extract any more from our friends - I guess from your reponses I can see that the answer is no.

I suppose I expected more of a fight.

Roll on the wife's claim!!

Received my wife's statements today and going back to April 2000 there is a total of £1024 charges. The worst of it is, the 2 years before this there would have been masses more as she had to sell her property due to debt problems caused by credit card companies, First Direct and others. Is there any way we can force them to get earlier statements - they claim they only keep records for 6 years but they have supplied us with account notes going back to 1994. I would like to add a charge for interest and all the stress it caused her in the past - can I justifiably do that before court action?

I get the impression from your posts that you are trying to get more out of the banks than you are entitled to.

First you wanted to refuse an offer which was actually for the full amount, now you want to add on extra amount for "stress".

This site was set up to help people to claim back what is rightfully theirs, not to rip off banks or to get back more money than they're entitled to. If you want to try and get back more money then so be it, but you are unlikely to get any support here as it does not fit with the ethos of the site.

I will warn you that if you did proceed as you intend and refuse an offer of full settlement and the case reached court stage, then by refusing a full offer you would be seen as acting unreasonably. Although you may still win the case and get your charges refunded, as you have acted unreasonably the judge could order you to pay the bank's legal costs, which could run into thousands or even tens of thousands of pounds.

If you want to continue and claim back charges as everybody else is then please continue to ask for advice and you will get plenty of help and support, but if you decide to do it your way you will do it alone.

I am merely trying to find out the state of play in regards to what we can and can not claim. For instance - I believe I SHOULD legally be entitled to the 8% but as it is, in this case, just on the small amount of £205, I have decided to accept the order and be happy with it.

You will see I have posted regarding my wifes problems - I think a payment for stress etc should be paid as it led to her losing her house. We are now in a position where unfortunately the housing market has exploded so rapidly that we will never own a property unless we are extremely lucky. However, I am hardly likely to claim such an amount if it is unlikely we would receive it. I believe banks and large financial organisations, although they are providing a service to make themselves money like any business, prey on the weak and ignorant - neither of which we are - so should be made to pay for the damage they cause.

We are not trying to claim anything we do not deserve and think this a great site which we will donate to upon receipt of our monies.

I would ask you please be a little gentler with newbies trying to find their way in the maze!

To claim for 'stress' you would need to prove that the house was lost purely because of the bank charges. Again, if it made her ill, then you would have to prove that her stress/illness was caused purely because of bank charges.

To do this you would need a medical report stating that any stress etc was caused purely because of bank charges - if this was only part of the reason then it's not going to get you very far. To get a medical report such as this would not be cheap and would be a considerable upfront investment - I really wouldn't go down this route unless you are 100% sure that you can prove that it has been caused purely by bank charges.

Could you have a look in my thread in the general section of thebank action group regarding statements? Again - I only want to charge what we are entitled to. I don't think I will be going down the stress route.....

• 2 months later...

We have received a defence with a notice of transfer od proceedings and also an allocation questionnaire. The defence states:

1. The Claimant's account is governed by the Defendant's personal conditions.

2. Pursuant to the Defendant’s terms and conditions the Defendant is entitled to make a charge for its services as set out in the Defendant's price list.

3. It is denied that the fees charged for the services provided amount to a penalty or liquidated damages clause. The fees are an agreed price for a service provided by the Claimant.

They HAVE actually offered us a full refund but we declined it on the basis that they required our confidentiality and suggested that they come to an arrangement regarding the fees they charged us prior to the 6 year limitation in respect of our confidentiality.

Firstly: should we complete this form and if so what would be the best way to counter their defence.

Secondly: Their offer stated wiythout prejudice at the top of it. I believe this means I can not refer to it in this questionnaire - does it mean they are not allowed to say that they have offered us a refund as well?

Thirdly, should we just accept the refund.

All help appreciated

I cant see what else you expect them to give you?? i would have excepted there full offer:confused:

LBA sent 17/05/2006

2nd September

nor did i ..i crossed that part out before i sent it back

LBA sent 17/05/2006

2nd September

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks