• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Progenic "V" On:line Finance

progenic7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent SAR to online finance on 23.1.07

have been trying to track address down for a while, and worryingly all roads now seem to point to Gmacuk LTD.

Anyway sent it off and now i wait until 3.3.07 seems like ages, but hopefully it will fly by.

Watch this space !

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs

• 2 weeks later...

Received the SAR documents today from On:Line Finance (gmac UK)

the documents relate to a 5 year car loan arranged via Stoneacre Car Group.

i paid the loan off in full about 3.5 years into the agreement, i thought when i did this i would save some money in interest by paying early, though they said not.

However looking through the statements i have noticed that when i paid the settlement figure on 1.8.06 which was £4012, on the very same day online put a note to say they rebated me £50, then later the same day they siad they rebated another £712.

Seems strange because i didnt receive any of this rebate !

anyway worked out the charges to about £900 in a three month period, lol amazing what can add up so quickly

any thoughts on the rebate anybody ?

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

heres the statement of account which shows the rebate (REB = rebate clearly) still wondering about it.

Page Number - 2

Desc Date .............Amount ...........Balance

DD 01/12/05 ......140.96 ...........5542.04

DD 03/01/06 ......140.96 ...........5401.08

DD 01/02/06 ......140.96 ...........5260.12

DD 01/03/06 ......140.96 ...........5119.16

DID 03/04/06 .....140.96 ...........4978.20

DD 02/05/06 ......140.96 ...........4837.24

DID 01/06/06 .....140.96 ...........4696.28

DD 03/07/06 ......140.96 ...........4555.32

DD 01/08/06 ......140.96 ...........4414.36

REB 01/08/06 .....657.18 ...........3757.18

ML 01/08/06 ....—213.00 ...........3970.18

SETP 01/08/06 ...4012.56 ........-42.38

REB 01/08/06 .....614.80 ......... -657.18

REB 01/08/06 ....-657.18 ...........0.00

CHEQ 24/01/07 ...10.00 ...........-10.00

ML 24/01/07 .....-10.00 .............0.00

TOTAL S

as you can see i paid the total settle ment figure of £4012 then according to them i had a £657 rebate any ideas anyone, do you think they owe me this and have forgot to send it ?

really appreciate any ideas on this

Bump

anybody come across anything like this before ?

confusing - from the info you've given

page 2.

paid £5683

owed £5542.04 (as per the bal outstanding)

overpaid - £140.96!! - and NO REBATE

no rebate evident, as if you'd paid under a credit agreement, that may be front loaded (interest added first), the rule of 78 would apply and an early settlement rebate wold show.

it seems evident also that they have tried to adjust the amounts to balance, as there are credits and debits on both sides of the balance sheet. when you had £4414.36 outstanding there were a lot of "confusing deductions and additions (I take it the £10 is your SAR fee) - it isn't clear, however how they have "rebated" as the figure makes very little sense. What was the APR and the actual monthly interest, and the intitial amount? i take it you made payments on time each time up to you paying this off early??

Steve

Halifax - paid out without getting to court - £250 WON - no intention of going, stated too costly!!

Halifax no 2 account - paid out without a fight - (by mistake, £1650 - should have been £1200 - had to pay some back)

confusing - from the info you've given

page 2. sorry page 1 missing

paid £5683

owed £5542.04 (as per the bal outstanding)

overpaid - £140.96!! - and NO REBATE (they seem to have forgotten this)

no rebate evident, as if you'd paid under a credit agreement, that may be front loaded (interest added first), the rule of 78 would apply and an early settlement rebate wold show.(thats what i thought they said pay the full term amount and they would check to see if i was due a rebate)

it seems evident also that they have tried to adjust the amounts to balance, as there are credits and debits on both sides of the balance sheet. when you had £4414.36 outstanding there were a lot of "confusing deductions and additions (I take it the £10 is your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) fee) (yes the £10 is my SAR fee) - it isn't clear, however how they have "rebated" as the figure makes very little sense. What was the APR and the actual monthly interest, and the intitial amount? i take it you made payments on time each time up to you paying this off early?? (Yes i made payments mainly on time however collected about £900 in excess charges on top, then paid 18 months early)

Steve

Im still waiting for full disclosure on the SAR, all they sent was page1 (a basic photcopy of payments and nothing else) the interest was 16.9% and total loan over 60 months was £6200 for car and £2200 for credit, the final payment made was the agreed amount over 60 months, so clearly they forgot to send the rebate. Im still waiting conformation of this though

it's possible they're correct - if you take a credit agreement, the discounted rate is deducted from the total amouint - £8400, your rebate for final settlement reduces the debt. unless you have paid more than the amount owing, the debt is concluded as a concession. It seems, although you need to do the maths, that page one will be the key!

wait for the page one, do the calc, reclaim the overpayment - i doubt you will see the rebate, but you can reclaim your charges you paid for (you say £900).

Halifax - paid out without getting to court - £250 WON - no intention of going, stated too costly!!

Halifax no 2 account - paid out without a fight - (by mistake, £1650 - should have been £1200 - had to pay some back)

Hi steve sorry i didnt make it clear to you, i have page one aswell however that is pretty much as basic as page 2.

The start balance at the begining of the contract was £8627.40, and the final payment acording to the account worked out at £8627.40, though im sure the rebate should have been sent to me, it even says that in their own contract which i still have. If the loan is paid early that a discount will be awarded back to the debtor.

So, you've paid actually what they asked for plus charges.

If this is the case, then you're probably correct in asking for the rebate - these companies can try to tie you in knots.

i would sit down with a calculator, add up everything I'd paid (actual paymentsX £140.96 plus my final payment). deduct the first figure £8627.40, and see what i was left with. If there is a positive figure, then thats my rebate due, if it's still negative, then I'm straight.....if you follow - don't add in charges when you do this as it will cloud the figures.

or.....

:) If, what you actually paid minus £8627.40 (the credit agreement amount) = 0, then you didn't have an early settlement rebate, which they should have deducted.

don't go off and trust in their statements, they're full of adjustments.:!:

Steve

Steve,

thanks for that mate i was thinking along those lines aswell, but like you siad the figures are full of adjustments and are difficult to follow. I hope they send me what i asked for the second time around when i reminded them about full disclosure in my SAR.

cheer

Johhny

Hi again steve,

just thought id mention to you as i have totalled all the payments up, deducted the fee's ect ect. The final payment is indeed correct as in what i agreed to pay over 60 months, i have a fair amount of fee's to claim back also.

The thing i cant believe is that they didnt pay me the rebate, where do you think i stand on this ? fraud ? negligence ? concealment ?

hiya johhny,

don't think it's fraud, or negligence - more like slow witted. They've tied themselves up. If it were me, I'd write a prelim letter "nicely" asking for the money back. As I'm sure they've made a huge mistake, and wouldn't want them to think they had short changed me. (or I could telephone and say where's me money?). Then wait the 14 days - and bam in an LBA if no action - I'm sure they will respond. If they don't - it's off to court:rolleyes:

seriously though,

Phone them - nothing to lose at this stage - ask for your pennies back that way, and back it up with a prelim letter, then set your stall out with a proper time scale. If no go, wait 14 days and LBA them. It's your money!!:)

steve

Sent Lee feltham from gmacuk (On:Line finance merged) who is a supervisor there, reminding him of his obligation under the Data Protection Act and that u until now this request has been ignored.

The email was pretty snotty (as per my speciality) stating the facts in very clear and basic terms so a five year old could understand the situation) Strange though how he still hasnt responded :rolleyes:

No worries i have all the time in the world and they only have until next friday to comply. I imagine the fact that they failed to give me £650 of my own money back is worrying them a bit :-D

Ah well the interest i earn @ 16.9% has clocked that up a bit now, not to mention the £900 of fee's they have charged me.

This is a great way of saving money in my opinion, come to think of it all my time @ £9.25 per hour, and stationary costs, and postage, and compound contractual, and various damages. :lol:

Dont ya just love the law

Life is good huh !

Just received another letter and email from online, trying to bamboozal me with contradictory figures and amendments.

In which they have suceeded on doing as i cant make any sense of them at all, so im going to make any educated guess as to what i think they should be and see how they respond.

If i ask them to correct me if im wrong (and to prove it) then i have covered myself i guess.

Man i have some letter writing to do as i have just received loads of statements from the Halifax and RBS aswell :shock:

My desk is overrun with legal papers, books and statements at the minute

i'll keep you posted, when i have sent my "Paper" i have been working on for over three weeks now :p

OK made final amendments and printed ready for sending in the morning with 10 days notice to them. ;-)

By Royal Mail Recorded Delivery: 2.3.2007

Dear sir/Madame

Account number: xxxxxxxxx

Request for refund of charges and miscalculations made in agreement.

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund the charges which you have levied upon my account since inception, hereinafter referred to as ”The Account”. I specifically make reference to early 2005 in which I accrued many hundreds of pounds in fees on the account with you. I am of the understanding that fees which you have applied to my account in relation to direct debit defaults, admin fees and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and consumer regulations. If you advance that these charges are not in any way punitive or unlawful then please make your averments clear on paper, showing a complete breakdown of costs, and your justifications, including specific legal case law, terms to be relied upon in court, and on what authority (apart from your own terms) you claim you can do this lawfully. If for any reason you cannot, or will not, advance these costs and justifications in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your actual costs accrued. Then I can only assume that my averments are indeed wholly correct, and you are undertaking in a concealment of the truth, clearly highlighting your unlawfulness. I am sure you are now aware that charging a fee as a means of punishment or penalty due to a breach of contract is unlawful, unfair and against English Law in many ways.

Further to the above paragraph, inter alia, there would seem to be some serious errors in administration of the account. I specifically refer to errors made financially, and while updating, amending, altering, or logging payments, defaults, charges ECT. At this stage I make reference to the following appendix, and reserve the right without prejudice to any other paragraph made herein, to use said items at any stage. Appendix 1 – Statement of account, Appendix 2 – Statement of Charges, Appendix 3 – Various Bank statements as proof of payments. I also reserve the right to amend, make additions to, or otherwise inter alia use any other material I feel necessary to advance this claim at any stage.

I have spent the last few months reading and researching this subject in great detail, and believe I have built a very strong legal case. At this stage I do not want to advance to far into the complex legalities of my case, in the hope that this can be resolved without such measures.

However I am of the view that your charges represent a penalty and are therefore unrecoverable at Common Law. In the Scottish case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498; the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract. This is also the position in English law: Wilson v Love [1896]; Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79; Ford Motor Co v Armstrong [1915]; Bridge v Campbell Discount Co. Ltd [1962]; Murray v Leisureplay [2004].Picardi v. Cuniberti [2003] B.L.R. 487. Brownlie v Campbell (1880) 5 App Cas 925, 950: ect.

Your charges do not reflect any actual loss; instead they appear to represent a lucrative profit-making scheme. The actual loss is the cost of automatically sending me a computer generated letter which I would respectfully submit is valued at no more than £2. Recently in a BBC television programme “The Money Programme” aired on Tuesday 12th December 2006, several experts in financial and banking services spoke on the subject of Fee’s. These experts in the field included;

i. Kieron Beal ( Barrister, Matrix Chambers),

ii. Joe Gardner ( HSBC - Gen Man of Personal Finance HSBC ),

iii. John Fingleton ( OFT Chief Executive ).

iv. Nicky White ( Head of Personal Finance at Uswitch )

v. John Struthers ( Professor of Banking University of Paisley )

vi. Philip Molyneaux ( Professor of Banking University of Wales Bangor )

vii. Ian Jarrit ( Former Executive of Nat West )

viii. Walter Merricks ( Ombudsman spokesman )

The conclusions reached between the experts, were frankly shocking, as they estimated that a returned direct debit could not possibly cost any more than £2.50 in a worst case scenario situation. At this point I draw your attention to your terms and conditions, hereinafter referred to as “the terms”. I specifically draw your attention to clause 5.3 of The Terms, in which your averments, inter alia state your right to recover your incurred costs. Further I draw your attention to clause 9.2 of The Terms in which, inter alia your averments include your contractual right to claim interest in the event of any breach of contract.

I bring your attention to, inter alia that a contract(s) (if any) binding any of the parties hereto, out of mutuality of contract the binding terms are effective on both parties. Further without prejudice to the above paragraph I reserve the right to advance any authorities with the notion of stare decisis, atany time in this case, specifically at this stage English case law, Chitty of Contracts, OFT case law and the FSA’s principles.

Further I feel that even though I will give you every opportunity to correct this unlawful behaviour, I fear that you will not avail yourselves to such an offer.

I also fear that you may advance that your charges are perfectly legal and lawful because they were written in the terms. At this point I make no admission, or have any recollection of ever receiving your Tariff of charges, or indeed ever having them drawn to my attention. I aver that the terms were not in any welcome pack produced by you, at the time of account inception.

Further I also fear you may avoid producing a complete breakdown of charges, and indeed may be using Nemo debet prodere se ipsum as a defence to hide your guilt in these matters.

Accordingly, the charges applied to my account are not a reasonable pre-estimate of your loss in relation to my account. Your charges would appear to represent a device to recover global losses (for example, loan defaulters, bad debt write off, including commercial lending in, and out with, the UK).

I hereby advance, and fully intend to prove that:

i) your charges are penalties;

ii) Your charges do not reflect actual losses incurred;

iii) Your charges are unlawful;

iv) Your charges are unfair;

v) Your terms are a misrepresentation of statement, and possibly a fraudulent misrepresentation.

vi) Your charges are excessive;

vii) Your charges are generally disproportionate;

viii) Your charges are punitive in nature;

ix) Your charges are not a genuine pre-estimate of loss incurred by On:line Finance Ltd. in respect of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant;

x) not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss in respect of any alleged breaches of contract on the part of myself, but instead unduly enriches Online Finance which conducts its regime of charging with a view to profit;

xi) not intended to bear any relation to Online Finances actual losses which it can show it has incurred and wouldn’t of incurred but for any alleged breaches of contract on behalf of myself; and

xii) are held in in terrorem to discourage me from presenting items on the Account for payment where there are insufficient funds to cover such payment of said item;

xiii) Your charges are contrary to the FSA’s principles of business and

xiv) Your charges are finally contrary to the Banking Codes principles of fairness.

Without prejudice to any paragraphs hereinabove of this claim, all contractual provision(s), if any, between the parties hereto, which purport to permit you to levy the Charges to the Account, are unenforceable by virtue of:

i. The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (hereinafter referred to as the UTCCR)

ii. The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 (hereinafter referred to as The “UCTA’)

iii. The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982; and

iv. The misrepresentation Act 1979; and

v. The common law.

Under the unfair terms in consumers contracts regulations (hereinafter referred to as the UTCCR) I advance my arguments under statute.

i. 5. - (1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

ii. 6. - (1) Without prejudice to regulation 12, the unfairness of a contractual term shall be assessed, taking into account the nature of the goods or services for which the contract was concluded and by referring, at the time of conclusion of the contract, to all the circumstances attending the conclusion of the contract and to all the other terms of the contract or of another contract on which it is dependent.

iii. 6.-(2) if there is doubt about the meaning of a written term, the interpretation which is most favourable to the consumer shall prevail but this rule shall not apply in proceedings brought under regulation 12.

iv. 8. - (1) an unfair term in a contract concluded with a consumer by a seller or supplier shall not be binding on the consumer.

v. Part 2: INDICATIVE AND NON-EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF TERMS WHICH MAY BE REGARDED AS UNFAIR; Reg 5(5).1

vi. © making an agreement binding on the consumer whereas provision of services by the seller or supplier is subject to a condition whose realisation depends on his own will alone;

vii. (e) requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation;

viii. (i) irrevocably binding the consumer to terms with which he had no real opportunity of becoming acquainted before the conclusion of the contract;

ix. (m) giving the seller or supplier the right to determine whether the goods or services supplied are in conformity with the contract, or giving him the exclusive right to interpret any term of the contract;

x. (k) enabling the seller or supplier to alter unilaterally without a valid reason any characteristics of the product or service to be provided;

xi. (o) obliging the consumer to fulfil all his obligations where the seller or supplier does not perform his;

Under the Unfair contract terms act (hereinafter referred to as the UCTA) under the following sections I hereby give authority to my averments;

i. (2) In the case of other loss or damage, a person cannot so exclude or restrict his liability for negligence except in so far as the term or notice satisfies the requirement of reasonableness.

ii. (3) Where a contract term or notice purports to exclude or restrict liability for negligence a person’s agreement to or awareness of it is not of itself to be taken as indicating his voluntary acceptance of any risk.

iii. (9)(1) Where for reliance upon it a contract term has to satisfy the requirement of reasonableness, it may be found to do so and be given effect accordingly notwithstanding that the contract has been terminated either by breach or by a party electing to treat it as repudiated.

iv. (11)(1) In relation to a contract term, the requirement of reasonableness for the purposes of this Part of this Act, section 3 of the Misrepresentation Act 1967 and section 3 of the Misrepresentation Act (Northern Ireland) 1967 is that the term shall have been a fair and reasonable one to be included having regard to the circumstances which were, or ought reasonably to have been, known to or in the contemplation of the parties when the contract was made. Reference is made to clause 5.3 of your agreement.

0n 26 July 2005, the OFT stated that 'a charge is likely to be disproportionately high if it is more than a court would be likely to award if the lender sued the account holder for breach of contract'. Because your charges include such an excessive profit margin, in addition to actual loss, they are irrecoverable as an unfair term in contract. I believe that your charges require me to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation for incurring transactions which were ultimately declined by an automated software driven computer system. In addition, it is unfair to require me to subsidise your global debt recovery costs and debt write-off protocols.

It has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time of execution. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully, fairly and in a manner which complies with English law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise. I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them. Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my Right until now.

What I require

I calculate that, as at today’s date, you have taken a total of £8347.60p in payments plus £213 charges, taking into account a rebate of £614.80 – a total of £9175.40p. In addition, I also claim Contractual Interest (compounded) under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity in our contract. The standard rate of borrowing is 16.32% therefore this rate is added to the above amounts and the breakdown is shown in the enclosed schedule. I calculate the Contractual Interest element (to 1st March 2007) at £112.47 to date and rising at a rate of £0.23 per day.

The grand total of the above is a shortfall between actual payments made with adjusted charges and rebate of £548, and what you claim in error was actually made. I am also seeking to cover my actual costs incurred in terms of time, postage fees, SAR fee and stationary fee’s ect.

To clarify my position about these charges I advance the following:

Actual payments made to you by myself in cash £ 8347.04

Final payment due amount £ 8627.40

Rebate due to interest £ 614.80

Unlawful charges clearly identifiable £ 213 + contractual interest

Over Payments by myself £ 334.44 + contractual interest

TOTAL Overpayment and charges + interest = £ 659.91

Costs:

Time taken in internet and book research, letter writing and preparation ECT @ £9.25 per hour x 30 hours to date = £ 277.50p

Postage costs to date £ 6

Stationary costs to date £ 15

SAR Fee £ 10

TOTAL AMOUNT REQUESTED IN SETTLEMENT: £ 968.41 TO TODAYS DATE ACCRUING INTEREST @ £0.23 PER DAY

I request that you refund this amount in full, payable by cheque directly to me.

Targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and write on the assumption that you will prefer to do this rather than merely respond with standard template letters and leaflets. After having watched and read the responses of many Online Finance cases, I understand your protocols in defending these costs. I strongly aver that your costs are not transparent, lawful, or legal just because they are written in the terms, and I suggest you read this letter carefully and give it a very considered response!

You have 10 working days, from receipt of this letter, to reply unconditionally accepting my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment. I feel I must point out that if you do not avail yourself to this opportunity, to be fair and open, you will be leaving me very few options other than further action.

If you do not respond, or do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you one further letter allowing a further 10 working days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments. After that there will be no further communication from myself and I shall issue a County Court Claim at the expiry of the second deadline. At which point I will also be claiming the court fees, any further expenses and exemplary and aggravated compensation.

I look forward to hearing from you by return.

Yours faithfully,

progenic7

Statement of truth: I hereby declare that hereinabove be the truth

Hi,

quite a letter!

Think you've put a lot of hard work in here!

For me, you express quite a lot of statemented fact (BBC programme, date and time might help for research back - is this fact, or their opinion?), and there's the matter of interest charged from outset. although you might recharge the interest lost due to the effect of unlawful charging in the interests of reciprocity and mutuality, I don't think you can't charge the daily rate until you actualise court proceedings, so I'd be wary that they would just throw it out! But - you might want to express that if it should come to court, that the additional interest accrued might be x, y and z.

you may also need to justify your costs, keeping available your receipts and be able to justify the £9+ per hour for your time (if that's what you earn normally from your job, and be prepared to qualify that you do earn that - if you are out of work you can only charge the national min wage for your age group..)

I can appreciate the frustrations in dealing with these companies, they think they're above it all - good luck, im considering a similar letter for FNTF Ltd (GE Money), so will watch with interest - no pun intended

Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks yeah i think your right (and i have done a small amount of research on this) i like to write letters especially ones that are my own (or almost my own :rolleyes: ) Not that im knocking th templates section, but for me they leave something to be desired in a way.

I will correct the date ect on the BBC programme, though the interest side of things im pretty sure i can claim a daily rate from today (the start of the claim).

And the £9 a hour, well not to be boastful but i actually earn nearly twice that, so i think thats fair ie 50% of my actual wage.

Gonna proof read and amend as necessary.

Thanks again, i'll keep you posted with updates

Ok i have made a few amendments to Prelim and feel fairly happy with it, i think the LBA will be a lot stronger, and when i do the PoC...well wait and see

well i posted the Prelim off this morning by recorded delivery of course, cant wait till i can get past the LBA stage and im able to file my N1 with the 16 page PoC attached :D

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

i sent off the LBA yesterday giving them the usual 14 days to respond, which im not hopeful of.

i'll keep you posted

johnny

received mail today in the form of a reply from Lee Feltham (supervisor) even though i sent the letter to the head of the legal dept. i think i will be declining this very generous offer from them, and lets see if we can do battle in court, as thats where they will be going (to prove their costs) if they dont pay the full sum (including my own personal costs) :-D as you will notice i now have two letters signed by online finance telling me they openly make mistakes on peoples accounts (remember this as is will be used in court 8) ) muhaha

26t March 2007

Agreement number xxxxxxxxxxxxx

***Without Prejudice***

Dear progenic

We acknowledge receipt of your recent letters and write to advise of our findings now that this has been investigated.

Please note we do not accept your claim for costs incurred for time taken to prepare and research this matter. However, after giving this matter fair and due consideration, we are prepared to repay the administration fees of £385.00 which accrued on your account due to its history of arrears.

Upon receipt of your confirmation, a cheque for £385.00 will be raised in your name and issued to the above address. This cheque would be a refund of the following monies paid:

14th January 2005 - £75.00

3rd May 2005 - £47.00

6th September 2005 - £50.00

1st August 2006 - £213.00

The rebate you refer to for £657.18 is not refundable to you. This was a reversal of an incorrect entry done same day, the rebate you were entitled to stands at £614.80 and this was deducted from your settlement figure before payment was received.

We await your confirmation in the hope we can draw this matter to an amicable conclusion.

Yours sincerely

Mr Lee Feltham

Supervisor

Online finance

posted the rejection letter this morning, stating my notions on the issue of costs. Im sure some people will question whether we can charge "costs", well i have a pretty good idea of the law and realise that pursuant to the small claims track (unless the other side has acted unreasonably) then the no costs rule applies. This is really a test to see just how desperate these people are to stay out of court, (im guessing they will do this at all costs), so i will keep you posted with my little experiment :p

Response to settlement offer. 28.3.2007

Dear Lee Feltham

Thank you for your letter dated 26.3.07

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me the amount as laid out in attached appendix A. I do not accept your non acceptance of the full amount, inter alia referring to my actual costs incurred while researching, printing, copying, letter writing, posting and studying the issues involved in unlawful penalty charges. I aver that had it not been for Online Finances unlawfulness in the first place, I would not be in this position now and therefore would not have incurred the costs I have done.

Further to that I have made it abundantly clear that any penalty due to breach of contract is indeed unlawful under Common law. Therefore I aver that online finance then borrowed money from myself (in effect) and under the principles of mutuality, equity and reciprocity of contract I am entitled to interest at the same rate as laid out in the credit agreement.

After the recent findings of the BBC television programme “whistleblower” it is now even more certain that, the vast majority of financial institutions are partaking in a concealment of the true facts. To date not one single bank, credit card company or finance company have actually stood up in court and disclosed the true costs of these “penalty charges”. To date every single financial institution has averred that their fees are lawful and transparent, just because they have written them in their terms and conditions, however not one of them has showed this to be the case, even after thousands of requests to do so.

Indeed Online Finance seems to be in this bracket also, given the fact that I have made two requests that you advance me the true costs involved in these penalty fees. I feel that any reasonable request from a customer, asking a company to prove that they are acting lawfully, should me acknowledged and accepted immediately. If that company then went on to conceal their actions or activities, clearly this could only shed them in very poor light indeed. As has been proven in English law over the years, a concealment is little different to an admission of fact, as you must ask yourself, what kind of person hides something like this ?

I would suggest, as I have already done, you are also involved in a concealment of the facts, and your only defence is to show no defence. I must then continue with my claim, in the hope you will be forced to prove you costs in court to the judge, and the whole penalty fee issue (that’s storming the UK presently) can be resolved once and for all. Upon my claim reaching court I will of course be entitled to a further 8% interest, pursuant to section 69 of the county court act. So it seems that I have very little to lose, and much to gain from this action, not just for my own sake but the good of every consumer in the same position as me, as any judgement in court will then set the precedent for further actions.

Further, i am extremely keen to get judgement in light of the “whistleblower programme on television, as i feel a test case is now well overdue. I am very confident of my own averments, and have every faith in the judge and the English civil judicial system. Financial institutions have taken advantage of consumers for too long, and in light of your/their unlawful acts it is now time to take you to task over this.

My letter before court action sent previously indicates that you have until 4.4.07 to respond before Court action commences. However given the fact you have responded, I will out of reasonableness extend this time until the end of next week, that is Friday the 6th April, 6.4.2007, otherwise if I do not receive a response by then I will be submitting an N1 county court claim form, in Worksop County Court without further notice.

For the avoidance of all doubt, your offer is wholly rejected.

The amount I request in unlawful penalty fees, interest and costs is as follows below:

£1041.89 accruing interest at £0.23p per day.

I will accept payment by cheque only made payable to Progenic7

I trust this fully clarifies my position on this matter.

Yours faithfully

Progenic7

:lol: funny i received an email from a Mr Daniel Baker today when i got home from work (head of legal team) asking me to ring him so he can make me an offer out of court....

something tells me they are slightly worried that i mean what i say, whos taking bets i can push them for more or less anything i like, such is the fear they will have to prove their costs in court.

maybe i can push them into court and get a test case underway :) but i say one thing (like it or not) im having my costs paid, you just watch me

muhaha

• 2 weeks later...

Received another email from head of legal team at )nline Finance Ltd, better known as GmacUK. Slowly but surely the offers are rising, there is still the £194.44 shortfall from the over payment i made, then there is the issue of costs, and oh yeah the issue of damages :rolleyes: hmmmm what to do, so many choices :p

heres the email (from Daniel Baker) shall i push to get in writing, that officially they have been unlawfully charging penalty fees ?

Progenic 7,

There seems to be some confusion in your understanding of the law relating to penalty charges and what your legal rights are to claim them back.

In the simplest terms I will put to you what you are entitled to claim and what you are not.

Penalty Charges

You have to date paid us a total of £385.00 in charges, this figure is made up of the following payments over a two year period:

14/01/05 £75.00

03/05/05 £47.00

06/09/05 £50.00

01/08/06 £213.00

Total £385

These fees are not in dispute and we are prepared to refund these to you.

Statutory Interest

Statutory interest can be claimed at a rate of 8%. The way in which you have made your claim is however incorrect. You have claimed interest on the full amount (which is incorrect in itself) due from the date of inception. You are only entitled to claim interest on each single amount from the date it materialised i.e:

14/01/05 £75.00 816 days @ 0.016p = £13.05

03/05/05 £47.00 707 days @ 0.010p = £7.07

06/09/05 £50.00 581 days @ 0.010p = £5.81

01/08/06 £213.00 252 days @ 0.046p = £11.59

Total interest £37.52

Administration Fees

We note that you are claiming administration fee's in the sum of £305.50. As this matter would be heard in the small claims court then costs are not recoverable, apart from fixed court fee's. Furthermore to my knowledge you are not legally qualified or registered, and therefore are not entitled to claim such costs in any event.

I have noted from the file that Lee Feltham has passed to me that you have included much case law and research into this matter. The relevant points are simple - you can claim back the charges imposed on you plus interest from the date on which that charge materialised.

In view of this we offer to you the sum of £422.52 in full and final settlement of the matter.

Kind Regards,

Dan Baker

Legal Dept.

GMAC (UK) Finance

+44 (0)870 2411122 ext 2082

+44 (0)870 242 2204

www.gmacfs.co.uk

i received an email (daniel baker again) head of legal dept. and something very interesting was said in his email.

he said that Online finance admitted to being unlawful and there new practice from now on, in court is to fully admit the charges part.

But only admit the charges part and offer to pay these, but deny all other aspects of the claim ie CI, LA, Damages and Costs ect

I guess therefore if they admit the charges, the judge then leaves them alone on that, therefore the only part of the claim left to argue is the CI or LA or whatever else your trying to claim, thus making it quite difficult to argue those issues on their own.

A new tactic...well i guess so...as far as i know this is a first in the UK and nobody else has admitted this before or have they ?