Telephone Harassment

Johnnyc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have sent the standard template letter concerning telephone harassment re Lloyds TSB, yet they still continue to make never ending calls. I am in dispute with them over charges and the latest call from a stroppy young woman stated they dont care and will continue to make the endless calls until I speak to them. What do I do next?

We are now reviewing and recommending the Truecall call recorder. See:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telephone-recorders-reviews-write/167120-truecall-digital-telephone-recorder.html

This machine is a bit pricey but does everything and more.

However, there are other cheaper options available. The most important thing is to get some kind of call recorder and start gathering your evidence

Edited by BankFodder

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same with NatWest they would phone me constantly daily between 8 am and 8 pm, at work, at home whenever it pleased them.

They also said to me they would continue to do so unless I speak to them

Luckily their harassment stopped when I sent them the template from the site here

If it does not work for you, can you block their number or have yours changed ? BT for example usually does this for free once if you say you are receiving unwanted calls

also of course complain to Trading Standards about it

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Iamgetting the same from Aktiv Kapital who state as long as I owe them money they can call me 4 times a day every day 7 days a week and I have no rights torequest them to put their demands in writing and they can call as I owe them

It may well be worth reporting the matter to BT, OFCOM, OFT and the police (if you feel the harrassment is that bad).

You can also ask to invoke their complaints procedure about the matter - that may well stop them in their tracks and if they refuse, report the matter to the FOS.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I have a current complaint about harassment from Capital One and your local Trading Standards will be only too happy to help you out :)

Mr & Mrs Ananya's story so far -

Welcome Finance - account closed - no CCA - 02/07 - £1500

NatWest - settled in full 09/06 - £600

NatWest - settled in full 06/07 - £72

Verso - Settled in full 07/08 - £2002

C.K. Edrupt/Provident - account closed - no CCA - 04/07 - £640

Littlewoods/Shop Direct - 2 accounts closed - Statute Barred - 04/10 - £800

D.C.A.s who've given up so far -10

Sending the stop phoning letter by recorded delivery gives you proof you have asked/told them to stop.

If they ignore that letter its their problem. Especially if you log their calls - dates, times etc - and after the second or third make a complaint. You can complain to the Information Commissioner for misuse of data, to the Telecoms Regulator for misuse of a telephone systems and to the police for plain harrassment. If they claim to act on behalf of solicitors complain about their actions to the Law Society as well. Copy your complaints to the OFT questioning the caller's fitness to hold a consumer credit licence.

I have seen harrassment phone calls dealt with severely by the courts. Don't just take the flak, give it out - with interest! Evenetually the debt collecting industry will realise that continual phoning, harrassment and bullying is not the way forward.

(I've lifted this post from another CAG member.can't remember his/her username now, if I find it I'll post it.)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

This is my latest crusade, Halifax at the moment although I had problems with Lloyds and used my local MP to intervene which worked. Halifax are shocking, I have tried the Police, nothing doing there but worth it just so it is on record for future use, the OFT will log your complaint but won't investigate individual cases but do use it when considering fitness for credit licences so do write to them, Ofcom .... nup, Trading Standards should help, I am waiting to call them today after finding message from them on my answer machine last night. Main thing is don't accept it and fight, will be a frustrating slog but just keep writing and keeping the call logs !! I am hoping that the court cases gather the same momentum as the unfair charges and when the templates start appearing on here I will be straight in !!

Think about sending this.......

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1038615.html

Regards.

Scott.

Hi, I belong to another site that mainly deals with car credit complaints and they have a piece on telephone harrassment from creditors. If they keep telephoning you after you've sent a letter asking them to stop and to correspond via writing only, then you need to start keeping a diary of how many times they call you a day. Also, they advise you to go to the CAB and talk to them about it. The CAB can intervene on your behalf with a cease and desist letter. Complain to the OFT as well. You are well within your rights to take them to court over it, and apparently the courts can dismiss the debts if harrassment can be proven, although this is normally in extreme cases. Telephone harrassment is a criminal offense, so why should they get away with it?

Also, according to the site, the CAB considers more than 3 phone calls a week as harrassment.

• 1 month later...

I am a newcomer to this forum.

Some years ago I went ex-directory and under no circumstances what so ever to I give out any personal details to any one who asks.

My mobile phone does not transmit my number, my home phone does not leave any number.

Where a form asks for any number, I do not give it and if I give a number it is the local phone box some miles from my home.

It shocks me why so many people give out such information so that it can fall into enemy hands.

If a bank was to talk to me they send a letter, or call the phone box.

Since 1995 I have has 2 selling calls, therefore my phone stays silent.

My phone belongs to me, and I decide who I ring or give my number to.

Always remember that by giving out your details, and you fall foul of the banks etc, you give them the key to your home, and they can ring you anytime to harrass you.

If in doubt do not disclose personal information to no one.

Hello and Welcome, 68904.

You have to remember, a lot of calls to people's homes are computer generated, I get loads of calls from all over the place, and I am sometimes told by the caller they 'just add an extra diget' to whatever number they are calling, and get me :eek:

Hope to see you around the Forums.

Regards.

Scott.

• 3 months later...

I have to send this to Halifax, currently calling me at half hour intervals throughout the day. At first I answered their calls and gave them information but it made no difference, they would call again and I would repeat it to them.

I am behind with my credit card which has now gone over the limit due to charges etc. I became unemployed in May and have told them I will write to them to offer a payment proposal and have made token payments.

Meantime they are calling so much it is ridiculous. I've given them a special ringtone on my mobile (Chase the Devil) and unplug my home phone when I want some peace!

I will send the letter with the proposal this week.

Thanks everyone here for sharing info.

Halifax listen to nobody, have no regard for legislation or regulations and their CEO endorses blatant law breaking. Interestingly enough I had a reply from the Information Commisioner today after complaining to him that Halifax refused to delete my telephone number from their records, basically they passed the buck and started going on about the consumer credit act and how I should contact trading standards and that this matter should be resolved with Halifax "customer service". So, the spineless "authorities" of this country strike again, I may have to resort to my own campaign of telephone harrassment of his office and see how they like it !!

Hi, Thomas.

My mums ex directory and she gets stacks of unwanted calls, I don't think it makes much difference. A lot of these phone monkeys just start with a random number, then just change the last digit. They'll get plenty of ex directory numbers along the way.

Regards.

Scott.

Yup, starting them young :)

• 1 month later...
Weird - I just answered another call from the Halifax, the caller sounded like a child, and a foreign child at that.

Are they outsourcing this harassment?

Ive also had a call from Cabot - that person spoke very poor english , sounded about 14 couldnt even pronouce my name properly.

I told them i was recording the call and was informed that it was illegal (its not is it) ??

No, it's not - however, you can only really use it in a court of law if you are informing them that you are using it.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

No, it's not - however, you can only really use it in a court of law if you are informing them that you are using it.

Thought not.. Ive no intention really of recording them and just playing tit for tat.

They are STILL insisting i give out personal details over the phone and I refuse everytime and ask politely to conduct anything via the post.. we will see :)

Well, the way I look at it now - they're wasting their telephone bill and not mine!

Morning Pandora, or is it box?

I'm subscribing to your thread, I will get a email when ever there is a new post so I can look in at the progress. I'm still quite new here so it helps me to learn

I do very little but I do it very, very well :cool:

If I've helped give my scales a click

:smile:

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.