• Tweets

• Hi LFI, With regard to the ANPR cameras in your post #65, while I was on the phone to the Planning Department, they did take a look at Google Streetview and went back to 2012 where they could see the ANPR cameras in place so therefore they would have deemed consent. I had previously read the T&C Planning Regulations and had read the section on deemed consent so I understood the point they made on the phone. It doesn't matter though, that doesn't harm my case any, and I shouldn't really mention this now, (this is what you reminded me of on another thread) but in the past I was a member of a scheme that gave me access to legal advice, I have spoken to a barrister previously through this scheme on another matter and I think I am still a member. I am going to check if I am still a member of the scheme, and if I am I will discuss my case with a barrister or solicitor, whichever the scheme deems appropriate. I will let you know the outcome. I am also going to take Bankfodders advice in the sticky and go to the local court and ask if I can sit in on a case in the Judges office.
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx Yes sorry. they called it a deed at first in court.  Then Judge said she was happy to have it sealed as something else  exact names of orders in message above.     The disease was tested for when his cardiac testing was done immediately after purchase and part of the now sealed case.   However, results were disclosed incorrectly and I only found out  two days ago.   This disease did not form part of my knowledge during the case as I had been informed of a normal result that was not the case.   it is perfect clarity of a genetic disease where as the previous cardiac issue could be congenital until the pup is genetically tested. 
    • Hi, Halifax recently sold a credit card account of mine to Cabot. I am unemployed and have no assets and was thinking of making token £1 payments for 12-18 months in order to drag things out a bit and reduce the chance of Cabot being able to get the correct CCA documents from Halifax if I requested them in future. However, I saw on the pages on this forum about defending county court claims that one of the standard approaches when defending such claims is to say “I had an account with bank X, but I don’t remember the details and so don’t know if I owe this debt…”. If I made £1 payments to Cabot, would it prevent me from using such a defence in future? OC: Halifax DC: Cabot/Wescot Card account opened: 2016 Defaulted: 2023
    • Paperwork says sealed consent order and composite settlement agreement      YES  ADDISONS DISEASE 
    • Hi, This may be the wrong place for a thread BUT If you receive a defence, can you send a CPR 31.14 request for document mentioned in the defence, and then apply to proceed with the case only after (14) days passed or they respond OR is it only if you receive a claim I see @dx100uk thread is for when you receive a claim, but can you also do the same when you receive a defence?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Baliff petition;Stop them getting a legal right to forced entry;Peter Bard

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Perhaps we should make this advice a sticky so anyone about to be visited by Bailiff can, if the police are summoned, hand them a copy explaining their duties - should go down well - at least they would know they aren't dealing with a Muppet

Also it might be a good idea for our press office to send copies to the various media outlets - I'm thinking particularly of the BBC who appear to be supporting the bailiffs in their illegal activities

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question 1 - Knowing what we know does anyone here believe that the act allowing bailiffs forced entry & assault for ordinary debt is squalid

Question 2 - Again knowing what we know does anyone here believe that there will be deaths as a direct result of this act

Question 1 - Knowing what we know does anyone here believe that the act allowing bailiffs forced entry & assault for ordinary debt is squalid

Question 2 - Again knowing what we know does anyone here believe that there will be deaths as a direct result of this act

Yes

and

Yes

thanks TheWatcher for the link, it should go to all police forces and agencies involved!

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

• 2 weeks later...

Just a suggestion?:)

Is there any chance of a new thread (or first post Update) about these issues now, as this is so long, maybe starting with the advice about rights

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/pdfstore/CJU_D222.pdf

what the new act allows, what to do, maybe some bullet points.

sorry but it has got so long I have lost the context a bit.

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

• 2 months later...
So I take it a baliff cannot just force entry willy-nilly? They have to have a court order first?

That'll be a yes - mind you 'some' will try & tell you different - cos they is bailiffs init:rolleyes:

In fact some will claim all kinds of powers they just don't have - even with a warrant

I would like to echo pugsley's suggestion for an update, if possible.

It was expected to be starting, to be implemented, at about this time.

Obviously anyone us could ring the the local court, but I prefer imformed opinion.

Best regards to all.

F.

That'll be a yes - mind you 'some' will try & tell you different - cos they is bailiffs init:rolleyes:

In fact some will claim all kinds of powers they just don't have - even with a warrant

Surely then the "bailiff" could be charged with gaining entry using false pretences (a bit like someone pretending to be the gas man etc)?

Additionally I remember a programme a while back and most of the fatherless's that actually come to the door are not even certified. Its just the paperwork that is signed by a certified bailiff.

Personally I think they should be licenced in the same way that those in the security industry are, and that they cannot even leave their offices without an SIA type badge.

Bailiffs ARE 'licensed'

They are 'certified' by the local court as being a fit & proper person (I can't type that without laughing) & can be reported to that court if they misbehave but you try getting one of them into court & winning - believe me when I say you have real uphill struggle on your hands - after all the complainant, namley you, will only be a feckless debtor - won't you:rolleyes:

I suspect you mean debt collectors who often pose as bailiffs - let me put it this way if your under the misapprehension that the bully at your door demanding payment now is a proper certified bailiff they aren't going to enlighten you otherwise. In addition in order to further their misrepresentation some will often claim they have the powers of a bailiff or even that they can send you to prison - they are known as scumbags

Ask to see their court issued licence & if they can't or won't produce one it's a very good chance they ain't a bailiff which in itself is an offence but trying to get the authorities to do anything would be like finding hens teeth:mad:

I've been a member of this site for some time, and my husband has been a regular on here the past few weeks trying to find advice on a different issue. I've only just discovered this thread and have spent the last few days going through it.

Neither my husband or myself had any idea about this new law and admit to feeling shocked! Our homes are the last place we can defend, albeit reluctantly as defending oneself is fast becoming a crime anyway, and to find that this last vestige of dignity is being ripped away from us has left us feeling like the scumbags the politicians obviously think people in debt are!

Do none of the self-righteous, judgmental, RICH AND WELL-PAID MP's have mortgages? A debt is a debt, whether it's £5 or £5,000,000, and if the time comes when they or a member of their families fall foul of this law, then perhaps it will be reviewed.

Wouldn't it be just terrible if one of them awoke to someone forcing their way in, looting their belongings and assaulting them in the name of the law...then they look at the piece of paper that allows them to do this, but they have the wrong address!! Are any of them denying this could happen to them???

Realise the impotence of proofreading everything you write.

I've been a member of this site for some time, and my husband has been a regular on here the past few weeks trying to find advice on a different issue. I've only just discovered this thread and have spent the last few days going through it.

Neither my husband or myself had any idea about this new law and admit to feeling shocked! Our homes are the last place we can defend, albeit reluctantly as defending oneself is fast becoming a crime anyway, and to find that this last vestige of dignity is being ripped away from us has left us feeling like the scumbags the politicians obviously think people in debt are!

Do none of the self-righteous, judgmental, RICH AND WELL-PAID MP's have mortgages? A debt is a debt, whether it's £5 or £5,000,000, and if the time comes when they or a member of their families fall foul of this law, then perhaps it will be reviewed.

Wouldn't it be just terrible if one of them awoke to someone forcing their way in, looting their belongings and assaulting them in the name of the law...then they look at the piece of paper that allows them to do this, but they have the wrong address!! Are any of them denying this could happen to them???

They DO have mortgages...........even if the don't need them..........& it's us who are paying:mad:

• 1 month later...

DRAKES GROUP and a FORM 4 COMPLAINT.

The attached provides details from the Judgement recently received concerning a Form 4 Complaint against a Drakes bailiff that was made to Middlesborough County Court in February 2008 by a disabled lady, who is confined to a wheelchair.

Following this hearing the bailiff's certificate was revoked and compensation awarded to the lady from the Bailiff's Bond.

As everyone can see from the final comment from the Judge, it is clear that Bailiff companies should be independantly regulated.

If anyone has any queries on this case, then please feel free to pm me.

Drakes Group complaint

PARISGAL.

I am very interested in your response for many reasons. Firstly you work for a reputable company. With resepct, EVERY single bailiff company that I talk with daily will ALL say the same.

Secondly, it is as if all bailiff companies have been on a training course to say the same thing, which is to say about the "won't pays". I have been dealing in debt counselling for 14 years and we have a webiste offering assistance on all matters connected with bailiff's.

You should be aware that far from people not paying their council tax, the collection rate around the country is a staggering 98.7%. Considering the huge level of debt that people have this is a remarkable achievement and frankly knocks any argument out of the way concerning the fact that there are many who don't pay.

What however is clear, is that from enquiries that our office receives every day, over half of all bailiffs are working either without a certificate or else working with a certificate that was provided for a previous employer which of course should have been changed as the bailiff bond would be invalid.

Please do not also lose sight of the fact that in the past year there have been 5 mortgage interest rates, gas & electricity have risen by 26% and petrol is at the highest rate in history. Is it any wonder that people are unable to pay their council tax or parking charge notices.

All I was trying to say is that it isnt fair to assume all bailiff companies act incorrectly and ignore the very complicated legislation which is taken very seriously by the bailiff companies and the council they work for. Many people assume bailiffs are not accountable when in fact we are under close scrutiny from many differnet bodies (quite rightly). Its not an easy job when all is said and done

I mentioned the fact that many debtors WONT pay is because a huge 80% of files referred to the bailiffs are not collected successfully as we are ignored quite often! Unfortunately we dont get any kind of reimbursement for these files despite the fact we may have visited the property on several occasions over a number of years. I was not referring to council tax collection rates in general but specifically the files which have been referred for bailif enforcement.

Personally I always try to treat everybody with respect and am happy to discuss their financial circumstances and set a suitable arrangement accordingly. The people who set an arrangement and maintain it as agreed avoid fees being applied as no action is taken. Please also remeber we are given set guidelines by the council and they often insist we collect the debt in a certain amount of time e.g. 3 months. Unfortunately if this is the case we are unable to extend the arrangements no matter what the circumstances

I think a few of you have taken my comments the wrong way! I was simply trying to offer my opinion from my perspective. I certainly do not think anybody with outstanding arrears are scumbags! In fact Ive had to deal with bailiffs myself in the past but avoided any fees by making an arrangement in the first instance.

My message to anybody who recieves a notice from the bailiff is to contact them asap and make an arrangement. This is just my advice. Unfortunately there are rogue bailiffs out there and of course it is important you bring any issues to the attention of the company so they can be addressed. If you are not satisfed with any response recieved it is possible to issue a complaint against the bailiff at the court they are certificated and the bailiff will be summoned to be examined by the judge. Also our clients are very eager to ensure we are acting correclty and believe me they will always follow up any complaint that is made very thoroughly.

My firm IS reputable and we take any complaints very seriously indeed. We have a firm procedure in place and all the bailiffs are closely monitored. Montoring and auditing of the bailiffs is crucial and any problems identified are addressed.

WE ARE NOT ALL VILLAINS!!!! am quite offended really, but it kind of proves my point that we all get tarred with the same brush.

Sorry parisgal I was ready to listen to your argument until I got to the bit "mainly won't pay" but that bit says it all.

I suggest that before you judge all debtors as feckless you try & find out why they have got into their situation. Whilst some are no doubt feckless it my experience that the vast majority are not but find themselves unable to pay their debts because of changing circumstances, illness, redundancy, etc.

Also my experience of debt collectors & I include bailiffs is that they constantly act unlawfully. One of their favorite tricks is to place their foot in the doorway & despite repeated request to remove it refuse. This is unlawful trespass which they seem to think they commit without sanction & they scream assault when the home owner physically removes their foot which the home occupier is perfectly entitled to do

Its a grey area but bailiffs are technically allowed to place their foot in the door. Although we do not encourage this practice in general. (as I said not all bailiff firms are evil pantomime villains boo hiss)

The majority of debts passed to bailiffs are ignored and we only manage collect about 20% of the files which are sent to us. Quite often we are just subject to an awful lot of abuse when we are simply carrying out our clients instruction.

I appreciate you speaking from your experience but was keen to offer my views from MY experience! Ive got no time for bailiffs who act incorrectly and for example I found the whistleblower programme showed on BBC extremely disturbing. Some of the stuff which was shown was absolutely disgusting!!

But we dont all behave like that.................. please believe me!!:(

Its NOT a grey area. Bailiffs are NOT allowed to place their foot in the door. How are we supposed to believe your assurances that your company are the "nice guys" when you can't even get this right??:

What bailiffs can and can't do

Forced entry includes pushing past you once you have opened the door to them or leaving their foot in the door to prevent you closing it. Such action would make the whole process illegal.

Bailiffs and debt collectors : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Its NOT a grey area. Bailiffs are NOT allowed to place their foot in the door. How are we supposed to believe your assurances that your company are the "nice guys" when you can't even get this right??:

What bailiffs can and can't do

Forced entry includes pushing past you once you have opened the door to them or leaving their foot in the door to prevent you closing it. Such action would make the whole process illegal.

Bailiffs and debt collectors : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

yes I am fully aware bailiffs are not allowed to force entry prior to gaining peaceful access. Once peaceful access has been gained and a walking possession order in place bailiffs are permitted to force entry to return and remove the levied goods. As I say it is rare this practice is undertaken and it is only done after a walking possesion order has been signed. I wasnt stating that putting a foot in the door isnt forced entry - indeed it is. Whether this is morally correct is one thing but is certainly allowed under law if the correct procedure has been followed.

So of course the advice is dont let a bailiff into your home in the first place! Call and make an arrangement!

Please dont be so unpleasant, I indicated forcing entry is not always allowed by stating this was a grey area. Im sorry if I didnt phrase that very well.

There are a million and one websites which will confirm this is the case

Well if the proof of the pudding was ever needed this is it I quote "bailiffs ARE allowed to put their foot in the door"

What utter rubbish. Putting your foot in the door in order to stop it closing IS forcing entry & trespass

This statement alone clearly shows that bailiffs don't have clue when it comes to the law they just 'think' they do

Where did parisgal get the idea its a 'grey' area. It's nothing of the sort & if it's thought a grey area it's only because the police refuse to act even when blatant abuses by bailiffs are happening right in front of them

That may change however as I understand at least a couple of forces are currently being sued for assisting bailiffs gain unlawful entry into private property by threatening the occupant with arrest if he/she obstructed the bailiff from entering their home in pursuant of a civil debt which in one case they didn't even owe

I suspect that most bailiffs see the entire legal system as a "grey area" where bailiff law is concerned.

I think CAB should start advising everyone, maybe through posters and some leafleting too, that if it looks likely you will be getting a visit soon, get a friend/family member to do a statutory declaration that any removable goods are their, which then creates a situation, where whether a bailiff gains peaceful entry, or is allowed in, their job simply wont be doable, as their secret weapon of a walking posession will just be a damp squid!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]