Mercers Debt Collection

Donel261
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Dougal,

Wow! That's quite a letter!

Of course the idiots won't understand what on earth you are talking about, but at least they can't say you haven't explained it to them.

The only thing I would add is after the 'Dear Sir,', I always put as the next heading in bold caps:

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY YOU CLAIM TO REPRESENT.

I know you've got it a bit further down, but I always say it before saying anything else. Just so they know where you are coming from.

I shall eagerly await their response. :-)

DDx

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad I found this site, due to redundancy had to enter a debt management programme. All the creditors except Barclaycard have been fine - but have now started getting calls from Mercers.

Probably 3 or 4 calls every day, somehow they got an old work number & rang - told everyone that they were OFFICIAL DEBT COLLECTORS & wanted to contact me about a SUBSTANTIAL debt that I had owed for several years (complete lie). Fortunately an ex-collegue took the call & rang me, imagine if I still worked there & the call had gone to my boss? Is this legal?

Also getting threats that they will be calling to confiscate goods from my house, will be getting payments deducted from my pay

On one call they asked me to confirm my date of birth - I refused as I said it could lead to identity fraud, this act of "defiance" led to a tirade of threats - they would be siezing my back account (as I'm overdrawn not sure what), my car will be towed away etc

I also dared ask for his name - complete refusal. On this call I was told they would take me to court and I would lose my house and could go to jail

How can companies behave like this?

(Apparantly Barclaycard agreed in writing to the offer of payment from my debt manager!)

Guest Cartaphilus
I also dared ask for his name - complete refusal. On this call I was told they would take me to court and I would lose my house and could go to jail

Well, you said it's not your debt ... Hmm ... Perhaps the person calling you and making up such 'inventive' phrases lives in La La Land.

Having suffered at the hands of Mercers & then Calders (still Barclaycard), I strongly recommend True Call, I have call records of over 900 calls from Mercers (most silent) until Barclaycard eventually 'caved in' over mis sold ppi which wiped the debt out completely, all the time BC didnt/couldnt provide a copy of the cca agreement.

:oops:Good morning everyone

Thanks DD,

That's a very good amendment and I shall alter the letter right now!

Best wishes to all as usual

Dougal

Edited by Dougal16T
My apologies to all - I have pressed the reply key twice! If someone can delete one of the posts please...

Update: 2013 Following our recent (9/7/13) hearing about Bank Charges at the Court of Appeal, and refusal to grant permission to Appeal; an Application has just (23/10/2013) been made for a fresh hearing and the Court Location is yet to be confirmed!

Good morning everyone

Thanks DD,

That's a very good amendment and I shall alter the letter right now!

Best wishes to all as usual

Dougal

Update: 2013 Following our recent (9/7/13) hearing about Bank Charges at the Court of Appeal, and refusal to grant permission to Appeal; an Application has just (23/10/2013) been made for a fresh hearing and the Court Location is yet to be confirmed!

Good morning, Dougal,

and hello old_chap, and welcome to CAG!

They are not allowed to embarrass you in this way and I think you should report them for harassment to everyone: OFT, FOS and the CSA (that's Credit Services Association - not Child Support Agency).

They cannot do anything without a court order, and if they take you to court, and it's a big if, a judge will only make you pay what you can afford. You have already offered to pay them what you can, and I assume your debt management programme has also frozen the interest.

Other things they will 'suggest' is that you borrow money from another source to pay them, and this is also against the guidelines.

Were you by any chance mis-sold PPI?

DD

Guest Cartaphilus

I misunderstood you because you said it was a SUBSTANTIAL debt, then said it was a complete lie. So, read as it's posted ... It appeared to be saying it wasn't.

However, the threats they have made of you thus far are unsubstantiated and also unlawful. You could request a copy of your CCA. Also, it's easier to create your own thread because otherwise it will just get lost in someone elses thread, become confusing and can be unfair on the OP' thread. That way you will also get more replies.

• 3 years later...
I misunderstood you because you said it was a SUBSTANTIAL debt, then said it was a complete lie. So, read as it's posted ... It appeared to be saying it wasn't.

However, the threats they have made of you thus far are unsubstantiated and also unlawful. You could request a copy of your CCA. Also, it's easier to create your own thread because otherwise it will just get lost in someone elses thread, become confusing and can be unfair on the OP' thread. That way you will also get more replies.

Good morning

Remember this - For an unsecured debt you will only ever be ordered by a County Court to repay what you can REASONABLY can afford IF you submit a Statement of income and expenditure to the Court BEFORE a hearing.

Hope this helps - tell the muppets bothering you that you will ask for a Restraining Order if they do not follow the correct procedure!

Best wishes

Dougal