• Tweets

• Your page numbers should run through your WX and exhibits so im concerned its page x of 9.
    • The CMA’s latest monitoring report on road fuel shows that prices at the pump have risen since late January, accompanied by above average margins and spreads.View the full article
    • Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ccj help please

wayne78
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi i was wondering if anybody could help i came home to find a letter for my partner from a man i do not know. stating that my partner must pay him £300 if not things will get serious! he says my partner took the money off him 13 years ago my partner would have then been 16. he says he got a ccj against my partner in 1995 which we have checked his credit record and could not find one. my partner has no clue about it.i phoned the man and he said the amount had gone up tp £400. could this man have taken a ccj out on my partner on his say so that he gave my partner £300. if he did could he come back 13 years later threatening us and saying give him £400 or he will take him to court. we do not know what this man is on about help this is upsetting me so much

You should ask for proof of the debt. At the very least the individual in question should provide you with details of the court he claims to obtained a CCJ at and the claim number. If he refuses to do this or makes threats of violence, then you should refer the matter to the police.

If he does have a valid CCJ, then unfortunately the six year rule doesn't apply. CCJs can be enforced forever. However if a period of six years has elapsed since the CCJ was granted during which the claimant has not sought to enforce the debt, then it can only be enforced with the permission of the court.

thanks or the reply this man claims he obtained a ccj against my partner when my partner was 16 my partner knows nothing of this. he claims he gave my partner £300 but has no prof he gave my partner this said money . as i said before my partner knows nothing about this. could the man obtain a ccj without any prof?

I don't believe you can get a CCJ if you are 16 years old. Call your local county court and check with them. I think the guy is talking a load of tosh. It makes absolutely no difference what the guy his saying, as even if it is true, he has to go back to court to get it enforced again.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

If i were you i'd call the police, and take advice. This sounds very suspicious as far as I'm aware the court can't grant a CCJ against someone at the age of 16 simply because the minimum age for gaining credit (DWP lones for young parents aside) is 18?

thanks for all your help the man said he had this ccj on his word i cannot see how he could get a ccj against my partner as my partner knows nothing about this man so it would be just his word that he gave my partner this money

• 2 weeks later...

well heres an update and a half i could cry.

a letter came this morning from the courts saying that an order was made for a judgement against my partner on 2/7/96 my partner was 18. the chap making the claim says that he wrote to use asking for the amont and aparently i phoned him and told he he was not getting a penny. i never said such a thing i told him my partner did not know about this matter. there has been no contact from both sides untill the letter came demanding money.

in the letter he first sent he asked for £300 if we did not pay the amont would go up to £2000.

i have got a copy of the court papers which statemy partner had to attend an pilimary arbitration appointment on the 2/1/96 at that time my partner was 17 this letter was dated 6/11/95. the court papers have the wrong address for my partner on them so he could not have got them in the first place. its the right road but wrong door number about 100 houses off. my partner says he went to court with his mum on one occasion and was told it was dropped as the person did not attend.

there was then a notice of arbitration hearing dated 3/5/96 to attend 2/7/96 again to the wrong address. at this point the judgement was made as my partner was not at court. as he knew nothing about it. . the letter today says the chap has a permision to enforce the judgement by warrent of execution. i phoned the courts who say we can apply to have it set aside for our chance to defend it. the procedings started when my partner was 17 the judgement was made when he was 18. and the fact the court sent the papers to the wrong address. what can we do. this judgement is on this chaps say so. like i said before he has no prof that this said money was given to my partner. help please anyone what do we do

i phoned the court and they said i can pay £65 to get it set aside then provide details as to why my partner thinks he should not pay. the courts said they dont have the file anymore as its to long ago. i told the courts there has been no contact for 11 years. but i was told to pay the fee and give my side as my partner has never given his side apparently. oh this is a nightmare

well first stop panicing. even if the guy does enforce and a bailiff came to your home, you DO NOT have to let him in.

deny the debt exists, its his word against your hubby's and as you said the court have lost the paper work anyway.

also this guys talking out of his arse. a £300 debt is not going up to £2000.

he's just trying to frighten you and it seems its working.

if you pay the £65 say the reason your not paying is cus theres no debt to pay.

what is this alleged debt for anyway? you can't have credit untill you are 18. so it doesn't matter when ccj taken out any contract if any would be invalid which i assume would make ccj also.

if the the alleged debt was from so long ago why has he now decided to persue it after all this time. how did he find you and does hubby remember what it was for. anyway let HIM prove you owe it and chill out.

if he has a judgment he could quickly enforce it although the amount of time will go against him.

he will need leave of the court to use enforcement action, i.e. CPR Schedule 2 CCR order 26, rule 5 states that a warrant of execution shall not be issued without the leave of the court where more than six years have passed since the judgment AND it must be supported by an affidavit. other enforcement methods would need you to attend a hearing and you can argue the time delay then.

also this guy would need to prove that the original judgment existed before he could enforce.

if you set aside the current judgment he could go for court action again although there would be a limitations defence at this stage.

hi thank you everyone for all your help. the chap has got a warrant of execution. so i have been to my local court today and filled in a form to set it aside and also another form to wave the £65 fee as we get working tax and child tax and fall into the right catogries. my partner put on the form that he did not get the court paper because the address they were sending the papers to was wrong and he had never lived at the address also he put that when the claim was filled he was 17 for the arbritration he was 17 when the judgement was made he was then 18. so his point was that the case against his started when he was 17. also he added that the chap in question was not telling the truth about speaking to me on the phone and that he was very abusive we called the police i encluded the log number. he also said that this chap had not told the truth when he said my partner admited to him that he stole this money. my partner wrote he never took the money nor did he ever admit to taking the said money my partner added that if he had got the papers he would have gone to court and defended himself but did not have the chance as he never got the papers. so he could not have deffended himself. therefor the judgement was awarded on this chaps say so. its his word against my partners what does everyone think did we do it all ok. any help would be great thanks everyone you have all made this a little more bearable x

• 2 weeks later...

the set aside hearing is very soon what happens at this? also we have managed to find out the whys to the case. it turns out its my partners step fathers friend. they had a big fall out years ago because my partner wanted to know the biological family. as sisters were raised with biological dad. the step father now claims to be a witness 11 years later this is clearly some sort of revenge having had nasty phone calls in the past week will the court take this into account? help someone x

hello everyone my partner went to the hearing today and it went well the man in question kept on at the judge to allow witnesses into the court but the judge told him no. my partner answered all the questions so hopefully all will be ok. the judge said we will get a decision in the post. i dont know what happens next? what does everyone think?

hello everyone my partner went to the hearing today and it went well the man in question kept on at the judge to allow witnesses into the court but the judge told him no. my partner answered all the questions so hopefully all will be ok. the judge said we will get a decision in the post. i dont know what happens next? what does everyone think?

Can only wait ith bated breath--The very bet of luck..Let us know how it turned out

Just hate every DCA out there

hi all i wanted to let you know that the ccj has been set aside. it has now gone back to the start so it can be heard again what happens with this and what do we need to do? also we wanted to say thanks very much for all your help and suport you have all been a rock of strength for us at such a difficult time