• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DBR vs Cap 1 ****WON****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent for my statements on 7th Dec and recieved them on the 40th day!

I sent my Prelim letter along with schedule of charges on 19th Jan.

Now, i was reading in another thread that with the interest, you dont include it til MCOL / N1 time with the bank, but with credit cards - your supposed to put the whole lot in your prelim and LBA letter. IE what, when, how much, and the interest so far...!!!

I only listed over limit fee, amount and date - not the interest. I havnt screwed up already have I??? :(

**** WON ****

Cap 1 - 07/11/07 - 23/03/07 £165

Ikea - 22/02/07 - 23/03/07 £200

LTSB - 02/10/07 - 24/05/07 £3310

LTSB joint account - 02/07/07 £751

No, you will be OK - you can either wait to see if they make an offer before your LBA, which you can then accept as a partial offer and say that "I inadvertantly forgot to add contractual interest, so the total is now £xx", or you can write now and say "Further to my letter dated 19 January 2007, please note that I have amended the schedule of charges and amount requested. Please find enclosed a new schedule of charges including contractual interest of xx% (see what it was on your last staement, 20% or whatever). The total amount of charges and interest I now require you to repay is £xxxx.

(or something like that!)

If you think my advice has been helpful, please click on the scales to the left :) thank you!

Non illegitimi carborundum

I wish I was a glow worm,

A glow worm's never glum!

How can you be grumpy,

when the sun shines out yer bum?! :p

Amex * 2 *** WON *** Settled

Marbles ****WON*** In full settlement

Capital 1 ***WON*** In full settlement

MBNA ***WON**** In full settlement

Barclaycard ***WON*** In full settlement

Barclays Bank - ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mrs Chorlton) ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mr and Mrs C) - MCOL submitted 16/5/07

No, you will be OK - you can either wait to see if they make an offer before your LBA, which you can then accept as a partial offer and say that "I inadvertantly forgot to add contractual interest, so the total is now £xx", or you can write now and say "Further to my letter dated 19 January 2007, please note that I have amended the schedule of charges and amount requested. Please find enclosed a new schedule of charges including contractual interest of xx% (see what it was on your last staement, 20% or whatever). The total amount of charges and interest I now require you to repay is £xxxx.

(or something like that!)

Excellento!

Im not too up to scratch with the old interest bit. Ive only been doing the 8% on the bank charges, but like my mam said to me, if it were the other way round, they'd charge the full whack, so i am going to have to do some good reading up on the topic.

What happens if your interest rate has changed say went from 15% to 17% in March 2004 then to 20% in May 2006? DO you just take the latest percentage from the latest statement then?

**** WON ****

Okies, i got in on friday and found a letter saying blah blah blah, we refunding the difference and dropped £72 in your account. Sure enough, my available credit is now £207 (on a £200 card!).

Ive asked them to send me a new card (coz i snapped the old one up so i couldnt spend on it) so that once I send my LBA saying that £72 isnt good enough and I want the rest, i will have the readies to lodge my small claim, plus my small claim for our joint account and ikea card :) Happy days.

I got my statements with me and will have an attempt at doing the 20% (whatever it is) interest after reading the contractual interest thread. If i post my results here, id really appreciate it if some one could have a look to make sure I got it right.

Anyway, its all going well!!!

**** WON ****

Oh. One other quick question.

A quick review of other peoples threads show that they are getting thier cash back onto thier cards rather than by cheque.

As I said, my credit available is £207 on a credit limit of £200. Suppose Cap1 were to refund me the remaining £88 (+ interest) without the need to use my card further...

a) would they send a cheque for £88 (+ interest) or

b) add it to my card (making my available balance £295) whereby Id have to request the account to be closed (and assume they'd send a cheque for £95?)

**** WON ****

Hi Daisy

They will normally refund it to your card. You can then write to them, closing your account and ask for a cheque. If you withdraw the money from your card and then close the account, you may get a 3% handling fee for a cash advance. Better in your pocket than in theirs.

Ukaviator

• Haha 1

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Aha, thats what i'll do then, let them add it first to the card and close the account with a cheque for the remainder.

Right, Ive just had a quick look at my statements. The interest bits go one month Cash withdrawal interest = 2.269%, Purchase Interest = 0.000%, another month Cash withdrawal interest = 2.207%, Purchase Interest = 2.207%

ie its different on different statements. Is this the %age i should be using for the contractual interest? If so its looks a bit confusing from statement to statement and i dont want to nack it up unless someone can explain in simple terms how to do it from these odd numbers. Otherwise i'll just have to go for the old 8%...

Also, dur, ive just checked through my statements and i missed a "late payment fee" from 2003 off my original schedule. Is it too late to add it to my schedule and a new line in my LBA going along the lines of "Oh, and by the way, i need £20 extra coz i forgot to mention it last time"?

Ta :)

**** WON ****

Hi Daisey

You can ask for the Contractual in your LBA and your other charge to. Make the amendment to your figures before MCOL. The APR is what you need to work out your Contractual rate. On your statement you should see something like 2.098%.

Times that by 12, gives you the APR. Use this figure to calculate your rate to add to each charge on the spreadsheet.

So - now we have:

1. The original penalty charges;

2. The interest we have been charged on those penalty charges;

3. The interest that we are NOW charging the bank for taking those penalty charges from us:

4. The interest that we are NOW charging the bank for taking interest on those penalty charges from us. I copied this over for you to read up on. (Written by Bankfodder).

What is the contractual rate?

It is whatever rate your own bank has decided that they will charge you if you borrow their money.

Authorised or unauthorised rate?

Either. Both are the contractual rate. Apply the lower one if you want to be charitable. Apply the higher one if you are looking for vigorous justice.

Which will the court order?

Who knows. Argue each one in the alternative. Once again, there is a fair bet that the bank will back down as they will not want to start revealing their charging regime. - But be aware of the risks. They may not do.

Should you claim contractual rate from the beginning?

Yes, you must do. It would not be at all proper to give prelims and LBAs for one amount and then to sue for a different amount. If you have already started, then bgin again.

The contractrual rate of interest has nothing to do with the interest they have already taken from you

The contractual rate is what you are charging your bank for having borrowed your money.

So if you have paid £100 in charges + £29 interest, the bank has effectively borrowed £129 from you.

You will then claim the return of your £129 plus, say, 16.5% (or whatever their interest rate is) on the whole sum that they have borrowed from you. Because their charges are unlawful, and you have not authorised their seizure of your money, you may be justified in charging interest at the unauthorised rate - say, 29%.

Can you claim the contractual rate plus s.69 interest?

No

Supposing that the court refuses the grant me the contractual rate of interest?

This is a possibility. Protect against it by claiming the s.69 rate in the alternative.

Will claiming the contractual rate make the bank go into court?

Probably not - but it is your risk. You should be ready and willing to go to court from the moment you send your preliminary letter. otherwise, don't start the process.

• Haha 1

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Thanks again! Im still non the wiser though, and im scared to balls it up, so have decided to just apply for the 8%.

Ive got my LBA drafted, to include the missing £20.00 plus my rejection of the £72. Does this look ok?

Thank you for your letter dated 24th January 2007. I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £180.00. I have added “Late Payment Fee” of £20.00 that I missed from my statements (taken 19th February 2004).

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations. etc etc etc

Also, when I put my schedule on there, i am putting

TOTAL = £180

INTEREST = £29.48

TOTAL PLUS INTEREST = £209.48

REFUND = £72

GRAND TOTAL OUTSTANDING = £137.48 (ie, ive taken the refund off the total plus interest)

Is this the correct way to work out the total outstanding?

**** WON ****

Okay, Ive sent my LBA. I had to do it pdq because Im on the 13th day since they sent my £72.

I sent the LBA letter as in post 9, with a schedule of charges showing a gesture of goodwill in "in respect of column" and "-£72.00" in the amount column. No date, days and interest column.

And just going to go for the 8% when filing my mcol.

**** WON ****

• 3 weeks later...

Not long now. They may file a defence before paying up.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Not long now. They may file a defence before paying up.

Uk

I thought they were wusses and coughed up?

Lloydstsb have been playing hardball. they managed to submit a defence, 2 days after the deadline.... how that works i have no idea, not impressed at all...

**** WON ****

Served 23rd Feb

Acknowledged 27th Feb.

Defence to be in by 23rd March.

I could really do with them payin up rather than doing a defence as its a 5 week month and I dont get paid til 30th March. But if they decide to defend, thats ok, because its bonus month in march so I can wait.

**** WON ****

Not long now Daisy. . Just check your online account everyday. It normally gets refunded before you get your letter.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

I dont want to sound impatient or greedy (but i suppose I am) but do you know have an idea how long it will take?

I didnt get my expenses through today like usual and I got £100 cheque coming out in about 2 days (to pay for my Lloydstsb AQ funnily enough) and I got £75 in my bank account to last til payday 29th March. If my expenses (£209) have not gone through, then I am up the proverbial creek without a proverbial paddle...

**** WON ****

It could take 2 -3 weeks . . they sometimes file a defence then pay up a few days after that.

WARNING TO ALL

It could take 2 -3 weeks . . they sometimes file a defence then pay up a few days after that.

2-3 days would be nice, but its panic over for now. Fortunatly my mam and dad have leant me some cash to cover me til payday. Parents are great arnt they. It would have been a shame for my LTSB aq cheque to bounce, then get charges and have my claim thrown out for not paying... how ironic.

**** WON ****

• 3 weeks later...

B-ll-cks!!!!!

I just thought... When i did my claim with ltsb, I sent the schedule of charges to the court and to ltsb (i did them on mcol see) and I have just realised that IVE NOT DONE THE SAME WITH CAP 1!!!! the 28 days is up on the 23rd as well, and ive not got any details with me about thier solicitors address or anything...

How important is it that the court and solicitor get a copy of the schedule of charges before the cut off date?

If its very mportant, PLEASE can someone give me thier address so I can send it off first class today (i have computer, printer, paper, envelope and stamp, but no address!!!!)

ARGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

**** WON ****

Did you file your claim with MCOL or straight with the court?

If you think my advice has been helpful, please click on the scales to the left :) thank you!

Non illegitimi carborundum

I wish I was a glow worm,

A glow worm's never glum!

How can you be grumpy,

when the sun shines out yer bum?! :p

Amex * 2 *** WON *** Settled

Marbles ****WON*** In full settlement

Capital 1 ***WON*** In full settlement

MBNA ***WON**** In full settlement

Barclaycard ***WON*** In full settlement

Barclays Bank - ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mrs Chorlton) ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mr and Mrs C) - MCOL submitted 16/5/07

Capital One Bank Europe Plc

Legal Dept

350 Euston Road

London

NW1 3JJ

If you have already filed a claim then use the head office address from now on..

Ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Did you file your claim with MCOL or straight with the court?

MCOL

Capital One Bank Europe Plc

Legal Dept

350 Euston Road

London

NW1 3JJ

If you have already filed a claim then use the head office address from now on..

Ukaviator

Okies, thanks,i will get it in the post tonight!!!

**** WON ****