• Tweets

• Your page numbers should run through your WX and exhibits so im concerned its page x of 9.
    • Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Petrafyde vs. NAtwest

petrafyde
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all.

I thought I should title it that way as I have every intention of following this to the end.

Basically, NatWest bank have been scr*wing me for charges for the past ten years, and through my naivety, I thought this was acceptable, as many others obviously did!

I haven't got the statements yet, but I did reconsolidate once with Natwest, and take a loan which I repaid in full (about 8yrs ago) and then more recently have extended the overdraft to £1600, but am still managing to receive charges upon charges, then interest on top. More lately, bounced DD's. These are all costing me between £20 & £38 a time.

I would estimate "off the top of my head" that charges and interest paid would come to well over £5k (more like £10k!), however, I would prefer to carefully weigh up my options before deciding whether to go for the lot. Money is not in endless supply here, so if they are going to bully me using court costs & dragging it all out, its possible the money tree might run out!

Now, I'm aware I need the statement etc first, but I would like to ask a few questions if thats okay.

1. Is there any MO for quicker settlement that anyone has noticed? Paying the £5 for statements, or the £10 for S.R.A (is that right?) I thought I should ask, as I've been reading this site for the past couple of days and noticed varying settlement speeds via both. Sorry if its an illegitimate question, just wanted to check.

2. Does it matter if I telephone them to request or not?

This is all very new, and I'm extremely nervous and a bit scared about taking them on, but fully prepared to go as far as needs be to get back what is rightfully mine - providing the money doesn't run out :)

I will probably use this as a "blog" so I hope thats okay too :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to add there, that I've already applied for a few! parachute accounts, just in case.

Can't take my eyes off this site, its simply amazing how long we've let this go on for!!

Just calculated, approx charges (not inc any I've missed) via all available transactions 01/08/06 - 22/01/07 = £619.07 6 months!

Welcome to the CAG family. There are many ways to deal with a claim of this size. Normally most people go back 6 years otherwise you are into the Statute of Limitations, there is a thread with regards to this so have a look of it if that is what you are looking at. What you will need to do is split the claim up ie furthest away from today first to keep it under the 5 k small claims limit. If you are claiming contractual interest then there is a thread on that as well which is worth a read. Good Luck and keep us updated. By the way better to keep everything in writing. paper trail and all

Welcome to the CAG family. There are many ways to deal with a claim of this size. Normally most people go back 6 years otherwise you are into the Statute of Limitations, there is a thread with regards to this so have a look of it if that is what you are looking at. What you will need to do is split the claim up ie furthest away from today first to keep it under the 5 k small claims limit. If you are claiming contractual interest then there is a thread on that as well which is worth a read. Good Luck and keep us updated. By the way better to keep everything in writing. paper trail and all

If I can split it into more than one claim and its viable, then I will! I shall save everything I get, and make notes on phonecalls etc.

I've been reading all over the past couple of days, so its all still a bit jumbled in my mind, but I think I'm getting there.

The plan so far initially is to:

1. Parachute accounts (waiting for papers to sign)

2. Request the charge details via S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) or Statement, whichever seems fastest.

3. Calculate total charges (haven't figured how to split from ADGD yet) without interest initially.

4. Use the 1st template to request the cash back.

Wait for their refusal (have noticed some people get their money back without hassle)

Then take it from there.

Am prepared to goto court etcetera, just needing to clear each step in my mind, and how to go about it.

**First Update**

Have telephoned Natwest tonight, for back-dated statements, however the representative was reluctant (or couldn't) go as far back as I requested (1996). So I settled for statements going from:

01/01/00 - 22/01/07 - Just over seven years worth, so more then I was expecting.

Have also written to Experian, Equifax & CallCredit PLC for my credit reports in case there is anything from the Bank (or anyone else for that matter) which shouldn't be there.

Representative reckons 10 working days is the norm for arrival of statements, I shall post back when they arrive. Plan is to contact them anyway if I haven't received in one weeks time.

Just a brief update:

Received paperwork from Nationwide & CitiBank today - gonna fill those in and send off. Only a cashcard from Nationwide, but I'm going to treat that as my parachute's parachute account if that makes sense ;)

Still waiting on Co-Op which is the one I want because of the Debit card.

Oh, and the statements of course. Would be nice if they arrived quickly so I can get the ball rolling!

Did I mention I've sent off for my credit reports? Only because I've been reading here - its given me the courage to at least look, and see if there is anything that shouldn't be there so I can see about getting them removed! So thank you for that.

Will either donate soon, or wait til I win (fingers crossed) then will make a more substantial donation.

Whats the worst thing at the moment really is... my printer isn't working - so its all gonna be by hand!! :-|

patience is a virtue so take your time and be prepared. This is the time of preparation for the next stages ahead. Please read the FAQ's carefully and thoroughly and other peoples threads that have won.

patience is a virtue so take your time and be prepared. This is the time of preparation for the next stages ahead. Please read the FAQ's carefully and thoroughly and other peoples threads that have won.

Cheers, I shall do - you'll probably find I'm a bit of a nuisance when it comes to checking and double checking things :oops:

I hadn;t yet, but god knows what will happen when you get the statements:D

:D :D I'm terrified actually - scared how to work the charges out (am on ADGD) and want it precise.. have looked at the thread you pointed me to, and its still not completely clear. Charges are ranging from £12-£40.

Unsure how to work out which interest rate to use, but I'll probably find out with more reading I guess :cool:

I think I had a card misuse charge this month (not had one for years) and its beyond me how they can allow me to take money from an account with a debit card, that doesn't have it to begin with? I had absolutely no idea I didn't have enough cash in the acc at the time, and didn't find out I was charged for this, until I perused the statements online last night!

:D :D I'm terrified actually - scared how to work the charges out (am on ADGD) and want it precise.. have looked at the thread you pointed me to, and its still not completely clear. Charges are ranging from £12-£40.

Unsure how to work out which interest rate to use, but I'll probably find out with more reading I guess :cool:

I think I had a card misuse charge this month (not had one for years) and its beyond me how they can allow me to take money from an account with a debit card, that doesn't have it to begin with? I had absolutely no idea I didn't have enough cash in the acc at the time, and didn't find out I was charged for this, until I perused the statements online last night!

Forgot to add of course, that the reason there was no cash available at the time of usage was because of £76 worth of charges which had gone onto the acc!

yeh its always the way!!!! the easiest way i found to breakdown the advantage gold fee is when u get yur statements u will scroll through them for the word charge, next to it will be the reason. for example - card misuse. then around the same date every month u will have had a charge for the advantage gold £6-£14 quid plus (if u had been over your overdraft the previous month a £28 unarranged borrwing fee added to the advantage gold fee. the unarranged borrowing fee is always 28 quid so just take that off the total amount and that will be the fee. also its the only charge they dont actually put a description against but just dates. sounds confusing but when u look at statements u will see exactly what i mean cuz i had the same problem x

ps the SAR isnt different to a statement as natwest dont keep any recrds of manual interventions so u will receive your statements and nothing else there is no other document that shows your charges.

NatWest (CLAIM 1) - £2181.24 SETTLED IN FULL

VIRGIN MBNA - £377 SETTLED IN FULL + INTEREST

NATWEST (CLAIM 2) - £1008.30 - SETTLED IN FULL

ps the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) isnt different to a statement as NatWest dont keep any recrds of manual interventions so u will receive your statements and nothing else there is no other document that shows your charges.

Thanks very much for that,

So it makes no difference as SAR, and normal statement request is the same? Are people paying the extra £5 for no reason?

well yes but no - the thing is u need it incase u go to court to prove that u have asked for everything listed on the sar else i guess they could use it as a defence - cover your butt. in reality though natwest dont keep a record on any manual interventions etc so all u get is your statements - cover all angles and send the SAR to be sure though. the cag way is the right way!!! it works and ive had over 2000 from natwest and several hundreds from virgin x

well yes but no - the thing is u need it incase u go to court to prove that u have asked for everything listed on the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) else i guess they could use it as a defence - cover your butt. in reality though NatWest dont keep a record on any manual interventions etc so all u get is your statements - cover all angles and send the SAR to be sure though. the cag way is the right way!!! it works and ive had over 2000 from NatWest and several hundreds from virgin x

Well, I've requested the statements back to 2000, so there are seven years worth winging their way. Getting a wee bit confused now because I'm sure someone else in chat said it was alright to just request the statements :confused:

Maybe I should send off the SAR aswell... ?

in reality the statements really are all u need. but imagine if it went to court and corbetts say well mr judge its cost our clients hundreds if not thousands in letters and phone calls to mr petrafyde because of the way he managed his account, u cant then turn around and say well actually i requested that information and u havent provided any evidence of this. if u asked for it. the likeliness of this happeneing is very very unlikely but its best to cover yourself. but the long and short of it is u only need your statements with natwest. however when i claimed off virgin they dont even send u statements from a sar they send u a breakdown of charges etc.

Well! What a morning. First batch of statements arrived, so I've done a brief summary of charges.

They came in the standard white envelope, not crushed etc, however there are many duplicated pages, and it goes only from;

17th Nov 2000 (I wanted January) - 4th October 2002.

Are the duplicate pages genuine error? I've not noticed this before when I've requested a back-dated statement.

I'll be back on the phone later though, if they can't send the whole lot out there will be ructions. I think they've messed me about enough.

Also got a chance to review just how spendthrift I was :( I do feel bad about it, and its hard telling myself to continue really when a lot of it back then was through card misuse.

Anyway, total going from the above dates comes to; £1,097.07

I took a loan out to pay back what I owed, which was paid in full obviously - but the interest I had to pay each month was rather staggering, aswell as the repayment. Is that standard practice? Pay the loan, and interest aswell?

Also I've noticed a "PLP Premium" dated the same day as the loan - can anyone explain to me what that is? To the tune of £186,00.

Many thanks

Okay - getting very confused now. Putting together a mock spreadsheet of charges so far, so I can get an idea of what to do when I get the rest.

How on earth do I know which interest level to claim for?

Do I need to alter the interest rate on the spreadsheets? (Thank you to Vamp by the way for providing those)

My overdraft is currently between 1,000-4,999.

I have ADGD account. I have had ADGD less than a year. I am wondering if I should class all charges at the lower rate of 15.8% because I'm not sure my brain can compute how to work out which charge deserves which interest rate!!

Where does 8% come in? I'm seeing that everywhere - I'm being charged double that! Aren't I?

Do I add interest to ALL penalties, or just to certain ones?

I am trying very hard to take this info in through reading on the site, and my brain is simply not taking it in.

So sorry to be a nuisance :(