MBNA - Offer of 'short payment'

Salami

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5687 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I was hoping to ask for some advice..

I’m a Mature student, coming to the end of my degree and I’ve managed to get together a bunch of money to sort out my credit cards (O, how I love my Mum!).

My MBNA card is the worst offender, over its limit by a few hundred and accruing £50 per month in charges (plus interest).

By my calculations there’s been £625 worth of ‘fees’ over the life of the card.

I’ve got the money to pay the whole thing off and close the card down, so I called them to see if we could come to an agreement.

They offered a ‘short payment’ that would wipe 20%, but would show on my credit rating. Not good enough, I think.. The 20% works out at £395.

Now, I gave them the whole “these charges are punitive and therefore unenforceable” speech and he was having none of it, so I said I’d seek advice and get back to him.

Is my best idea to pay the card off, leaving a balance of £625, and go for the court option?

Thanks in advance for any advice =)

Peace

Sal

I'm not sure if accepting this short payment would then affect you ability to then claim the charges back. It depends on the wording but if they are just offering this discount because you are paying it off then you should still be able to claim them back.

If you can get away with it (and you need more advice from someone here who knows a bit more than me) I would pay it off and then claim the charges AND to have the default removed if successful.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I've decided they can bugger off with the short payment (another statement with ONLY their £50 worth of charges on it landed this morning)

I just finished with a letter saying I've paid up what I owe (plus interest) and all that's left on the account is your £675 (now) worth of charges. Waive 'em, close the account and have my credit file marked 'Paid in Full'. You have 7 days or it's going to court.

grr.

I'm not sure if accepting this short payment would then affect you ability to then claim the charges back. It depends on the wording but if they are just offering this discount because you are paying it off then you should still be able to claim them back.

If you can get away with it (and you need more advice from someone here who knows a bit more than me) I would pay it off and then claim the charges AND to have the default removed if successful.

I agree.

You WILL be able to claim back the charges, whether or not the account is closed, and even if you have agreed a "short settlement".

However, if you accept the £395 "discount", it may prove extremely difficult to get your credit rating repaired.

Do you need the £395 more than a clean credit rating?

My advice would be to pay off the account and close it, making sure you get in writing that the account is closed without anything owing on your part or default registered against you.

Then SUE THE B******S!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Phil

Would it not be better to not give them the money in the first place?

Can I not apply to the courts to have the charges cancelled or do I HAVE to be claiming money back that I've paid?

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5687 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks