• Tweets

• Hi there. So I am currently being scammed by a hire company that I have used previously in the past. I had rented a car from them some time ago but it seems they are using my details fraudulently now. It is not really much of a hire company, more like a small family outfit with just a guy and his son with a small office who rent a few cars out. I have received a letter from police regarding a hit and run on a car I have never rented. Spoke to the hire company and it seems they are doing dodgy stuff on the side.   I had no involvement in the incident, nor did I hire the vehicle involved in this incident. The hire company passed my details on to the police when they were requested for information despite the fact that I did not hire that vehicle from them. I believe that they had kept my details from a previous time I had hired a vehicle from them in 2020. I believe they used this to information from a previous hire agreement to fraudulently pass liability on to me.   They have since sent me a pdf of the hire agreement they had with another person on the dates of the incident and have told me that this was the person who actually hired the vehicle. Additionally the pdf they sent me was not signed by either the hirer or the hire company so I am a bit suspicious they plan to pass this along to someone else in the same way they've done to me. I have just filled out a response to the police letter filling in the info section that I was not the driver and putting the information that the hire company gave me of the "correct" details of the person who hired the vehicle. I have also included a hand written letter explaining the situation that this was probably fraud by the company and that I was not involved in the incident nor was I the person renting the vehicle. I just sent the response to the police a few days ago regarding this.   Additionally, and probably even more surprising given the fraudulent activities these guys are undertaking, they have sent me a MCOL claim for +£10k for this accident they are trying to pin on me. They have included cost of premium, insurance, repairs and time off the road. Absurd seeing as I did not hire the vehicle from them. Hopefully the police issue is sorted out with the info I sent them, although I do worry that they won't accept the hire agreement the company sent me as it was not signed by the hirer or the company, but that is a question for later when they respond. Regarding the MCOL claim, I do not know what I should do. The son at the hire company (who is the guy who sent me the copy of the hire other hire agreement) is ignoring me and the dad at the front desk is claiming he does not have information on what his son may or may not be involved in. This is all becoming stressful. I am not sure whether I should counter claim, defend or can just inform MCOL that this is a fraudulent claim that I should never have been dragged into. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.
    • New Zealand is bringing in a law to force its financial firms to report on climate-related risks. View the full article
    • Hi   I agree with the above post.   Could you clarify is your building a mix of council & leaseholders or leaseholders only?   The Major Works Charges you mention they have added you are entitled to ask them for clarification on exactly what these works are, when they are going to be carried out, by which company and for a breakdown of their costs for these Major Works.   As you mention as an example your windows you need to have a good read of your Leasehold Agreement to see who is responsible for what maintenance. As an example only your leasehold may have a clause that the leaseholder is responsible for the maintenance of the windows again eample only so have a good read of your lease.   If their are other Leaseholders as mentioned in a previous post it may be worth talking to other leaseholders about setting up a Residents Association as this would be another way to challenge the Management Company as long as they recognise your Residents Association.   Couple of links for you:   https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/how-do-i-form-a-residents-association/   https://www.fpra.org.uk/  
    • urm thats interesting there should have been a windscreen ticket  as they've waited more than 28 days to send the NTK...well spotted.     NTK.pdf
  • Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 32 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

Settled - STruscott vs Abbey National!!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today received full settlement from shAbbey - which totalled £8,896.82. :)

Thanks CAG for all your guidance with my claim.

Just one quick question: Abbey are still applying charges every month, is there anything to stop me from claiming charges from the point where my last claim stopped to now?

Congratulations. Well done.

Nothing to stop you at all.

The only thing is that you would be advised to open a parachute account because there is a good chance that a second claim will prompt them to close your account.

Regards, Rooster.

• Confused 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

they might, but they might not, they didn't with me - but perhaps after the next one they will :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed